Setting gain *yes I read the sticky*

Gain is to match the input voltage level ONLY. There's many different sources out there (different HU's, etc) and they all have different 'pre-out' voltages (2V, 4V, 6V, 8V, etc). With these different input voltages if the amplifier just linearly amplified the signal then you would get more power with a higher input voltage (not ideal). So the gain knob is used to compensate and adjust the amplifier to produce it's rated power level based on the input voltage. Thus, usually the higher input voltage you have, the LOWER the gain knob will need to be.

If you want, you can think of the gain as a multiplier. If the amp is rated for 1000watts and your input voltage is 2V you'll need a multiplier of 500, but if you have an input voltage of 8V you would only need a multiplier value of 125 (thus a lower gain level).

However this DOES NOT mean that you can just turn the gain knob up to get more output, once you reach your amp's rated power output anything higher will result in a clipped output which is undesirable to say the least.

What both recent posters said is correct: If you have subs that can handle max output of your amp, then you set your amp's output voltage with a DMM after inputting the amp's max rated power into the formula outlined on the sticky (and several places in this thread);

if your subs have a LOWER rated WRMS than the max output of your amp, then you calculate using the sub's max WRMS rating, which is referred to as gaining-down your amp.

Ex 1.) Sub has rating of 1000WRMS while amp will only output max of 760WRMS into 4 ohms. Via the formula, sqrt(760*4) = 55.1, so you'd set the amp to output 55.1V.

Ex 2.) Same amp, same sub impedance, but this sub can only handle 500WRMS. sqrt(500*4)=44.7V. (So you are maxing your driver, but gaining-down your amp to do so)

Colossus: I didn't check to see if the OPTI is rated for running at 1/2 ohm, but just via the formula, sqrt(3200*0.5) = 40V.

However, 3200WRMS is quite a bit of power...hope ur subs and system's electrical are ready for it

You and dooski are both right. If you have a amp that puts out much more than your speaker can take, set your gains according to speaker rms. If you have a sub such as the skar vvx which everyone says can take way more power than rated, and your amp puts out 1000w, set it for 1000 and hope the sub can handle it. Or if you bought your amp because it matches your sub in terms of rms (which many do) you could set it to the amp or sub

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Flex beat me to it

I'm setting my rubicon at 40 volts to match a lvl 4. 1600x1@1, and lvl 4 is rated at 1400. If I set accordin. To sub its like 37.6, if I se according to amp its 40. So I'm basically ok either route I go?

You want to set the gain with the DMM based on the *RMS* output of the amplifier. If you decide to set the gain based on your maximum output, you will most likely never hit that or fry your amplifier. Most lower quality amplifiers have a much higher "maximum" out put rating than rms rating. The maximum output will only occur when your head unit or receiver sends out a signal for a large bass note. Some higher quality amplifier's like Rockford, will tell you that they put out say 500 watts and will in reality put out about 1000wrms.

So basically make sure you set your amplifier based on its rms output. BUT also make sure you set your amplifier according to your subwoofer rating. If your subwoofer can handle 500rms and your amp can put out 600rms. Make sure you set your amplifier at 500rms not 600rms, or you will eventually fry it depending on the subwoofer, some are very under rated.

You can either have the sub woofer hooked or unhooked. If you doing it while the subwoofer is unhooked, when you hook it back up make sure the voltage is near your desired voltage or do it again. Good luck.

Well how are you to know the rms as oppose to max output of the amp. Nowhere have I found the rms of the 1600.1 rubicon. Just 1600x1@1. I would rather set it to the rms, if I knew it

What about amps that are under or over rated? i would assume i need to somehow check what the real ouput is somehow but not all brands list the actual ouput at any given voltage.

I got a JL 600/1 amp and i seriously doubt it puts out exactly 600 watts in 2ohms so i always wondered how setting the gain using a DMM could be very accurate or how to know if the DMM is even accurate. i read that not all of them are.

It doesn't affect how you check it if it is under rated, that just means the amp has the ability to put out a greater output. The equation will be the same either way, so you will still look for the same voltage. If it's under rated, the amp might not be able to hit that voltage at all or without clipping the signal.

It doesn't affect how you check it if it is under rated, that just means the amp has the ability to put out a greater output. The equation will be the same either way, so you will still look for the same voltage. If it's under rated, the amp might not be able to hit that voltage at all or without clipping the signal.
In whic case the equation doesn't work accurately then. This is what confuses me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bruceg

10+ year member
bruceg
LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from