Setting crossover points for my Voce components and JL subs...

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok I have an audison AV5.1K amp that I am running the front 2 x 75w channels to a set of audison AV1.1 tweets, the two 140w channels to a set of audison AV 6.5 mids and the sub channel of 600w @ 4ohm to two JL Audio 10TW3 subs. Here are the links to the equipment...

Audison Voce - AV 1.1

Audison Voce - AV 6.5

10TW3-D4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - TW3 - JL Audio

I have never run an active setup before this one. How do I know where to set the crossovers for this setup?

Audison Voce - AV 1.1

Hi-pass filtered 2.0 kHz @ 12 dB Oct.180 W Peak Power
This should work well with your amplifier. Low pass the AV 6.5 woofers at 2 kHz and you will probably be good with the subs and mids crossed at 80 Hz. If you measure or hear a dip at 80 Hz you may get better sound by inverting the polarity of the subwoofers. Consider adding a Bit ten.

Thanks for the reply trumpet!! I just heard back from my local Audison contact that mentioned I shouldn't cross over the av1.1 lower than 2.4k. I am not sure as to why as he didn't state why other than it could damage the speaker.

I am new to all of this but with the slopes if I cross them at the same freq won't there be a peak due to overlap?

I would love a bit ten but it all takes money which I am running out of lol.

Why would the site say freq response is 1.2k-22k if they want it crossed at 2-2.4k? Sorry like I said I am new to this and just trying understand what I am doing and why.

Thanks for the reply trumpet!! I just heard back from my local Audison contact that mentioned I shouldn't cross over the av1.1 lower than 2.4k. I am not sure as to why as he didn't state why other than it could damage the speaker.
Crossing the tweeter 400 Hz higher isn't going to make much of a difference in terms of preventing damage over Audison's recommended 2 kHz crossover. If you will be listening to a lot of music with loud midrange and treble for long periods of time then you may want to try 3 kHz. The rule of thumb is never cross a tweeter at less than 2x Fs, which is right in line with the 2 kHz figure for AV1.1.

I am new to all of this but with the slopes if I cross them at the same freq won't there be a peak due to overlap?
In the electrical realm there will not be an overlap with the subs+mids or mids+tweeters crossed at the same frequency. 12 dB crossovers that we typically see in car audio equipment are already down by 3 dB at the crossover frequency. The response that we can hear, on the other hand, is not so simply explained. What will you have to tune the system? Do you have an aftermarket head unit? Do you own any of this equipment?

At the moment I have a pioneer AVH-6600dvd. I may upgrade in the future to something with time alignment. I don't have any tuning equipment as I am just building this for my own car. I would love to buy some but for the same reason I don't have a Bit Ten I don't have the equipment. I may have access to some stuff through a friend but I am not sure yet if I will.

I am planning on setting the gains via test tones as of right now. I have been researching it online and trying to wrap my head around that as well.

You've set your sights on some really nice equipment. Since affording this is an issue, and because a DSP can make such a big improvement, I suggest looking at a less costly amplifier. You're going to run out of tuning control awfully quickly with that head unit and a high end amplifier can always be a future upgrade.

Hmm that makes sense although I already have the amp as I got it for lets just say a steal of a price!! I am hoping to add a DSP like the Bit Ten in the future for sure as well as a different HU.

Audison Voce - AV 1.1

This should work well with your amplifier. Low pass the AV 6.5 woofers at 2 kHz and you will probably be good with the subs and mids crossed at 80 Hz. If you measure or hear a dip at 80 Hz you may get better sound by inverting the polarity of the subwoofers. Consider adding a Bit ten.
I am seriously considering getting a bit Ten or Ten D. Now quick first question, Can I run the Ted D without the AV bit In for digital and just run it off RCA input output like the regular bit Ten? I ask cause I may be able to get it for a mere 40-50$$ more than a bit ten and DRC. (ten D comes with the DRC)

Will running it with the av bit in to go digital make a huge difference and will I need a HU with digital out to make it work?

now if in the future I want a rear fill will it be possible with the bit ten to ten D?

Is there a way to run an iPod or iPhone to the bit ten or ten D? Can I do it with or without the HU?

I know this is all a lot off the original topic but I figured since you brought up the Bit Ten I would ask.

I am seriously considering getting a bit Ten or Ten D. Now quick first question, Can I run the Ted D without the AV bit In for digital and just run it off RCA input output like the regular bit Ten? I ask cause I may be able to get it for a mere 40-50$$ more than a bit ten and DRC. (ten D comes with the DRC)
Will running it with the av bit in to go digital make a huge difference and will I need a HU with digital out to make it work?

now if in the future I want a rear fill will it be possible with the bit ten to ten D?

Is there a way to run an iPod or iPhone to the bit ten or ten D? Can I do it with or without the HU?
These are all questions your Audison dealer should be able to discuss at length. Optical digital in or RCA in are possible with Bit one. Bit ten has an RCA aux input that would work with virtually any audio source. If you use digital in you will need the DRC to control the system volume.

Because Bit ten only has 5 channels of output, and you want to run your component speakers active, you will not be able to correctly run rear fill. You will need Bit one for that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.