Seeking info on my obsidian audio 15 d2

Mr.meyhem

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 22, 2011
Cold as F***, MN
First off, 

Thank you for looking at my post.

I've had an oa 15 d2 for maybe 5 years now.  I know they are discontinued and were not mainstream when Jacob released them.   Anyways.  I am changing vehicles. Finally have the air space, trunk space,  and electrical to build a system how I would like.  2011 gmc terrain.  For context I had an 09 civic running stock with a line out converter.  2/0 welding cable big 3.   4g power and ground.  Slot ported 3.5c int double baffle MDF box with 45s in the corners and center brace.  Tuned at about 32 hz.   Running on an apsm 1300.  I havent been able to give the sub the power it wants let alone sitting at the lower end of box space.  My question is if I build a new box somewhere around 5 cu ft int is it worth running my Oa on a higher watt  clean electrical amp?  Or should I just look into a new sub?  Thanks for reading

Screenshot_20181219-011523_Snapchat.jpg

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
First off, 

Thank you for looking at my post.

I've had an oa 15 d2 for maybe 5 years now.  I know they are discontinued and were not mainstream when Jacob released them.   Anyways.  I am changing vehicles. Finally have the air space, trunk space,  and electrical to build a system how I would like.  2011 gmc terrain.  For context I had an 09 civic running stock with a line out converter.  2/0 welding cable big 3.   4g power and ground.  Slot ported 3.5c int double baffle MDF box with 45s in the corners and center brace.  Tuned at about 32 hz.   Running on an apsm 1300.  I havent been able to give the sub the power it wants let alone sitting at the lower end of box space.  My question is if I build a new box somewhere around 5 cu ft int is it worth running my Oa on a higher watt  clean electrical amp?  Or should I just look into a new sub?  Thanks for reading
That OA-15d2 should gain all by itself in a larger box on the same power (3.5ft3 to 5ft3)... I'd try it on the same amp 1st but I'd build the enclosure with 60in^ of port minimum (if using a slot) cause if you want to step up a bunch more in power then that extra port area might come in handy if you end-up changing subs and adding power eventually anyways. 

To really see a difference you'll need to pretty much double power once the new enclosure is in and at that point I'd probably say go for it as it's a sub you probably know by now and knowing that it's being pushed hard will keep you on your toes.

If it goes "pop" at that point... it IS 5 years old and I'm sure it's a family member by now but you'll have a better enclosure already built to allow you to get a better/higher power sub, or just a more capable one.

It will most likely be a bit more peaky but have more output around tuning for sure... you might be happy for a bit with just the gains you'll see with just the enclosure change.. for a bit... lol

My .02

Good luck!

PPVtahoe11

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2018
Same amp and bigger box. Should be nice. IMO 3.5c is to small for 15s. That general rule of thumb where 3.5c for 15s and 7c for 18s In bull. Most woofers Ike big boxes. 5-6cubes is right where a 15 should be. 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds