Sealed enclosure size for Dayton RS180-4 (7") ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fastr
10+ year member

Hey all, I have another question for the speaker gurus.

I am contemplating about building a sealed enclosure in the door for my 7" Dayton RS. (Ill build a down and dirty cheap one of the correct size just for testing to see if the sound difference is worth the work)

The partsexpress woofer guide states .3 cu/ft for a sealed enclosure. What I can

build into the door is just less than .1 cu/ft. If I pack it with poly is this going to be good at all, or should I just leave it IB? (The F3 in a .3 sealed is listed at 74 HZ) Does anyone know what the affect would be if I install it in an enclosure this small?

Thanks in advance for any help!

J

Thanks for the calc man! In your opinion, what exactly would that mean sound wise? Should I give it a try or is the F3 going to high? Right now I have my fronts playing 60hz and up. The overall sound quality in the car is best at that setting.

If you have some eq to play with, you'd want to cut at 150 hz, and boost around 90 hz. With cabin gain you might get a decent response. You won't get 60 hz though.

Thanks again for the help! I won't waste my time on that path //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Heres another question on the same lines...

What if I built properly sized sealed kick panel enclosure (.3 ft/3) and had the woofers angled up and at the passengers slightly?

CDT states on their install help page not to Ever mount woofers in a sealed kick panel enclosure. Why would that be?? ( I assume they mean "their" woofers because they are designed for IB with a high Qts..?)

It's okay if you have the room. Don't forget about driver displacement as well. Also make sure the walls are extremely rigid with several layers of fiberglass.

If that's done, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Well, I will skip the kicks after my recent findings. I now see what Squeak and Minivan were saying about the Daytons being great with adjustments. Im still learning all of my HUs capabilities. (Im used to my old Alpine that had built in 12 band EQ)

My Kenwood Excelon HU will let you pick at what frequency the bass boost is centered at, and also how slowly or sharply it slopes off from that frequency. That is a sweet feature (It lets you do the same for a mid freq. and a high freq setting as well.) I found mine was centered at 60, great for the sub, but not so for the front, rear door fill, and rear deck mid-sub speakers. With the peak set at 100hz and a real slow slope, the daytons really came to life! The front doors kick out some serious bass guitar and bass keyboard now.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Now I will just get the bass boost control knob for the sub amp and I can boost the lower frequencies to the sub that way.( Its stupid you cant access that feature on my amp without the knob..$..why didnt I design that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

To the other person (or anyone else) asking about Daytons, I'd definately recommend them if you seal the doors good with deadner and have alot of freq. adjustments you can make between your HU and/or your Amp/EQ.

Thanks for all your help, you guys are great. I learn more everyday on this site!

(ps, I have found that if I lean forward slightly while in my front seat, there is a sweet spot where that bass area must be at least a +3db. I just need to figure out how to get that spot moved back about 6" or so where your ears are positioned when you are driving or sitting in the passengers seat. Sounds like another thead to me.. heh)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.