RMS help

Hello. I am new to this, so please be gentle on the new guy. I have had subs in my car for a while now, they were a package of a 300 watt Alpine amp and 2 JL 12's. The RMS on the amp is 300(bridged) and the RMS on the subs is 600(total). Each is running at half power, but that isn't where my question is. That is back story.

My question relates to my upgrade I plan on doing in a few weeks(when the paycheck comes in). I plan on adding Fi's BL18 to my system. I have a friend building the box, but I need an amp that can power it without breaking my wallet. My manager, who used to be really into car audio(until he got too old and it gave him headaches) recommends getting a 1,000 watt amplifier so the sub doesn't get damaged. It is 1,500 RMS and was wondering exactly how this all plays together. I came to ask you guys what you would recommend. I am having a hard time finding a 1,00 watt RMS amp that isn't pretty expensive. The cheapest I've found is the Boss cx2000m, which does seem to be pretty good.

Thanks for the help! I'm new to this amount of variables. On my current stuff it was all together before( the subs are in a box called a basswedge) and the amp was with them before, so there were no worries about RMS and wattage at all.

Thanks again!

if its rated at 1500 watts than give it the 1500 watts. and do not by a boss amplifier. look into the black ice series of ppi. you can get a ppi black ice 1800.1 for like 200 bucks on sonic electronics or if you only want to give it 1000 watts they have a 1000 watt amp for 180. i would just get the 1800.1 its 20 dollars more for 800 more watts and tune it correctly. im pretty sure it says they are 1000 watts but if you know someone who know what they are doing tuning with a o-scope it should be fine with 1500 watts so long as its clean

I live in bumfuck Missouri. Other than Stereo One there isn't anyone I know of that does installation besides a friend of mine. He doesn't do it professionally either, just on the side. Thanks for the info, and I have another question: how do I go about wiring an additional amp into this system? I'd like to keep my 12's, unless they would be so overshadowed by the 18 that they'd be unnecessary.

^^^^what he said^^^^ might i add that he said a fi bl. .fi makes awesome subs and with the proper tuning a 2000+rms amp would be fine if not recommended. even though a amp says 1500 rms u will never see this on music because the number was attained with a sine wave of a certain Hz on a fixed resistive load. we all know that subs never see their resting ohm load during play. op look in the classifieds on here im sure u can find a quality amp in ur price range.

^^^^what he said^^^^ might i add that he said a fi bl. .fi makes awesome subs and with the proper tuning a 2000+rms amp would be fine if not recommended. even though a amp says 1500 rms u will never see this on music because the number was attained with a sine wave of a certain Hz on a fixed resistive load. we all know that subs never see their resting ohm load during play. op look in the classifieds on here im sure u can find a quality amp in ur price range.
AGREED. and get rid of your 12s. just do the 18. n if it can take that much maybe go with a soundqubed 2200.1 or something equivalent. something more efficient than say i hifonics brutus or something like that.

i would sell the amp and subs as a combo in the classifieds to help raise money for a quality amp. i don't think they would make a noticeable difference if u properly power that 18; versus keep the 12's and get what u can to power the 18.

I agree with everyone else go with the ppi bk1800, im planning on powering 1 Fi Q12 with one or even an aq2200, might even get a 2500 rms amp dont know yet. Its better to have an amp that overrates your sub a bit so you dont have to have it turned up all the way and always be pushing your amp.

I have a local friend who is interested in buying them, but price mya encourage me to sell elsewhere. I could get enough out of them to pay for it easily. I know you would be the guys to ask, but I can really push the sub that hard? I thought you had to stay really close to the rms, not 700 over

I have a local friend who is interested in buying them, but price mya encourage me to sell elsewhere. I could get enough out of them to pay for it easily. I know you would be the guys to ask, but I can really push the sub that hard? I thought you had to stay really close to the rms, not 700 over
almost all non mainstream subwoofers and amps are under rated, ex, sundown sa 12 is rated for 600 rms, and there are quite a handfull of people who give them 1000 rms and they are perfectly fine, like said earlier rms will almost never be seen unless you only burp 40hz test tones

almost all non mainstream subwoofers and amps are under rated, ex, sundown sa 12 is rated for 600 rms, and there are quite a handfull of people who give them 1000 rms and they are perfectly fine, like said earlier rms will almost never be seen unless you only burp 40hz test tones
So you think I could put (like c1500martin said) aq2200 or a ppi bk1800 on that bl18 and use it as a daily driver? I'd also like to be able to turn it up to show off. Would that be ok? I don't want to have to baby step around it for fear of damage.

Since the general consensus is to sell my 12's, the money I could get from them is about enough for another 18 and amp. Since my friend is making the box, I could probably do a second 18. Worth it or will I even notice the difference between one and two of them?

So you think I could put (like c1500martin said) aq2200 or a ppi bk1800 on that bl18 and use it as a daily driver? I'd also like to be able to turn it up to show off. Would that be ok? I don't want to have to baby step around it for fear of damage.
Since the general consensus is to sell my 12's, the money I could get from them is about enough for another 18 and amp. Since my friend is making the box, I could probably do a second 18. Worth it or will I even notice the difference between one and two of them?
To the ear more than likely, on the meter that's dependent on your install

In some reviews on fi's site, one guy says he runs two of them at 5k, so I could run one at 2500, yeah? I can't find many aq2200's, only one or two and I'd like to buy from amazon or new.

Hfi2000d sounds pretty good. I don't quite understand their Amazon though. Is it 2000 RMS or 2000 max? And would you guys recommend it?

Last edited by a moderator:
In some reviews on fi's site, one guy says he runs two of them at 5k, so I could run one at 2500, yeah? I can't find many aq2200's, only one or two and I'd like to buy from amazon or new.
Hfi2000d sounds pretty good. I don't quite understand their Amazon though. Is it 2000 RMS or 2000 max? And would you guys recommend it?
Just buy right from SoundQubes website

https://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-2200D_p_31.html

What kind of vehicle do you have? An 18 needs a pretty big box. At least 5 or 6 cubes, so if your thinking 2 then you'll need 10-12, which is a massive box

If you wanna go Hifonics, only get their Brutis line. "BRZ" or "BRX." BRZ1700 might work for you

I guess the HFI is part of the Brutus line, my bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.