Recommendation for a SQ 12 in a convertible, high budget

I posted on DIYMA as well but didn't get too many answers... I've been trying to find the difference between overhang and underhang coils but I don't know how that affects me. Can you help me understand that a little better?

The Icon's definitely another sub I'm considering. Right now it's between the Icon and the IDMAX.

New ones you can find around $450. For $450 you can find a less mainstream sub around 1000W RMS instead of just 600W like the W6.
Jl audio rates their subs to be matched to their slash amps which have RIPS technology its 600w because a jl amp puts out the power 1-4ohms and 12-14.4v voltage drop and impedance rise have virtually no Effect on them. Unlike ither amps it might be a 1200w amp but after all factors put im your only seeing like 400w or something. The w6 can easily take a 1200w rms amp

Had a 13W7 in the past and wasn't really impressed with the sound quality of the sub. It was definitely better than anything I had before it but I'm really looking at something with low end extension (should've mentioned in the thread)
You most likely had it in a JL prefab which is junk for low end extension. Its all in the enclosure. You have have the most expensive sub in the world perform like mediocre bargain subs in an inadequate enclosure while you can have flea market subs sound amazing in a proper custom ported enclosure. Enclosure specs is your first concern you need to address. Measure out in Length X Width x Height of what you have to work with trunk space wise.

I've seen a few loud vert systems done. But they were not aiming towards SQ builds, I like the ID max subs. So many choices to pick from lol

Has anyone ever attempted a fiberglass trunk corner enclosure that was ported? lol

I'm caught in the middle between the SSA Icon and the IDMAX right now............

Ever consider used? lol

The people that pay retail or full price are the ones that put that stuff on CL. that's when you swoop in and buy it. usually a little cheaper, lightly used too.

Has anyone ever attempted a fiberglass trunk corner enclosure that was ported? lol
I'm caught in the middle between the SSA Icon and the IDMAX right now............
space makes bass man. If you dont have the space, you wont have the lows. You'll have to go down to a 10" sub with an aeroport for fiberglass trunk corners. Sealed wont get you impressive lows, it'll just be apparent and sound okay. You'll need at least 1.25 to 1.5 cubic feet of NET airspace after port and subwoofer displacement for any real results. Which is what i think happened with the 13W7 which i know plays down to 25hz with authority when in a 3.25 cubic foot box tuned to 32hz, sounds smooth, clean and tight too.

Ever consider used? lol
The people that pay retail or full price are the ones that put that stuff on CL. that's when you swoop in and buy it. usually a little cheaper, lightly used too.
Ya i'm always on the lookout for used, but I haven't seen any quality subs on CL for a while. I picked up that 13W7 for $300 haha. Picked up a 1000/1v2 for $300, had to pay $180 to repair it though... still have that one, great amp, the leads on it need resoldering though. Anyone want it for $300 + shipping?

space makes bass man. If you dont have the space, you wont have the lows. You'll have to go down to a 10" sub with an aeroport for fiberglass trunk corners. Sealed wont get you impressive lows, it'll just be apparent and sound okay. You'll need at least 1.25 to 1.5 cubic feet of NET airspace after port and subwoofer displacement for any real results. Which is what i think happened with the 13W7 which i know plays down to 25hz with authority when in a 3.25 cubic foot box tuned to 32hz, sounds smooth, clean and tight too.
I built a really solid box out of (I think either 3/4" or 1") MDF, to spec for it, but it was sealed.

I guess if I have to go with a ported enclosure, I gotta go down to a 10" because of space constraint. Can you explain what an aeroport is?

Also what would be your choice:

This 12 in a 1 ft^3 sealed: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/specsheets/IDMAX12D2V4.pdf

or

This 10 in a 1 ft^3 ported: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/specsheets/IDMAX10D2V4.pdf

I'm planning on going to a shop to have the box made and stuff... it's really unlikely that they'll mess up a sealed enclosure... how much more difficult is it to create an enclosure in the trunk corner that's ported made out of fiberglass?

Ya i'm always on the lookout for used, but I haven't seen any quality subs on CL for a while. I picked up that 13W7 for $300 haha. Picked up a 1000/1v2 for $300, had to pay $180 to repair it though... still have that one, great amp, the leads on it need resoldering though. Anyone want it for $300 + shipping?

I built a really solid box out of (I think either 3/4" or 1") MDF, to spec for it, but it was sealed.

I guess if I have to go with a ported enclosure, I gotta go down to a 10" because of space constraint. Can you explain what an aeroport is?

Also what would be your choice:

This 12 in a 1 ft^3 sealed: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/specsheets/IDMAX12D2V4.pdf

or

This 10 in a 1 ft^3 ported: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/specsheets/IDMAX10D2V4.pdf

I'm planning on going to a shop to have the box made and stuff... it's really unlikely that they'll mess up a sealed enclosure... how much more difficult is it to create an enclosure in the trunk corner that's ported made out of fiberglass?
I'm guessing you and the shop only know how to do it based on looks and not actual sound performance hence the dissatisfaction. 1 cubic feet for a single 10 ported is still on the small side. I'd highly recommend you taking it to a shop that actually knows how to get you loud and good sounding rather than a place thats just flashy. Ported trunk corner can work but you'll need to give up more room. Space makes bass, Nothing will change that. Enclosure design is everything. Port tuning, port area, how they all work along with the sub's electro mechanical parameters, subwoofer loading etc... all are factors in getting you proper sound. Its not just buy a nice sub and stick it in a sealed box or a poorly designed ported and get amazing lows. Sh*t doesnt work out like that.

google up what an aeroport is vs a slot port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.