Bass port recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justin Salaro

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey looking for recommendations for a port size,my box dimensions were changed due to limited space under my truck. Now the manual suggests a port which is now not possible, i am not a expert to run numbers and calculate my port size manually, can someone suggest me the port size whether it should be slot or a pipe if so what will be dimensions.

My box is 6 inch high
30inch wide
21 long (Outside dimensions)

This is the link to manual by Jl audio- https:// pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/lmageBank/

v20120709131900/Manuals/136/13610W0V34.PDF

I would appreciate any help thanks.

Different shape does not mean different volume, but it might. I come up with roughly 1.5 cu ft (1.447) gross internal volume with the dimensions you have provided. That assumes the wood is .75" thick. That link did not work. What is the sub you are using?

Different shape does not mean different volume, but it might. I come up with roughly 1.5 cu ft (1.447) gross internal volume with the dimensions you have provided. That assumes the wood is .75" thick. That link did not work. What is the sub you are using?
Yes it is 10w0v3 4 ohm jl audio
I used rockford website to calculate volume its 1.1 almost close to what they require just concerned about the port size .

Well then, you have one other issue.

You need at least .5" of clearance for the vent on the rear of that magnet so you'll need to raise the sub with at least a 1/2" spacer otherwise it will impact the woofer performance. As for ports, the only ones that come close given the box dimensions are as follows.

All are tuned to 30 hz.

3.5" round 23.125"

3" round 16.75"

I would add .5" to those round ports and make sure to flare the opening

The only slot that is good that isn't astronomically long is a 4.5" x 2" 27.5" (inc a radius exit) and that would need to run down one side and the rest along the length. Running a single one lengthwise really doesn't give you the desired clearance at the end.

Should be able to get any of the round ones by using PVC pipe. Cut the desired hole for the exit, glue the PVC to the other side and use a roundover bit to flare the wood on the exit side.

Last edited:
Well then, you have one other issue.

You need at least .5" of clearance for the vent on the rear of that magnet so you'll need to raise the sub with at least a 1/2" spacer otherwise it will impact the woofer performance. As for ports, the only ones that come close given the box dimensions are as follows.

All are tuned to 30 hz.

3.5" round 23.125"

3" round 16.75"

I would add .5" to those round ports and make sure to flare the opening

The only slot that is good that isn't astronomically long is a 4.5" x 2" 27.5" (inc a radius exit) and that would need to run down one side and the rest along the length. Running a single one lengthwise really doesn't give you the desired clearance at the end.

Should be able to get any of the round ones by using PVC pipe. Cut the desired hole for the exit, glue the PVC to the other side and use a roundover bit to flare the wood on the exit side

Available on amazon $11.10, query:

Atrend Universal MDF Constructed Spacer for 10 Inch Speaker or Sub - Adds 3/4" To Depth - Premium Subwoofer Spacer Improves Audio Quality, Sound & Bass - Multiple Usage - Charcoal,Black​

Last edited:
Thankyou sir , thats what i was looking for.
Now to answer your question regarding the space in the back i am using this plate to give additional 3/4 clearance after this cut out i will have 3/8 of airspace if it needs more i would have to put a ring or anything to lift it but as far i think 1/8 shouldn't make much difference what do you think ?
View attachment IMG_0917.png

Attachments

• IMG_0916.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 11
Now to answer your question regarding the space in the back i am using this plate to give additional 3/4 clearance after this cut out i will have 3/8 of airspace if it needs more i would have to put a ring or anything to lift it but as far i think 1/8 shouldn't make much difference what do you think ?
View attachment 56192
That was going to be my other suggestion and will work if you prefer.

JL manual says you can use 5/8" panels. That would give you an extra 1/4" on internal dimensions.
They also recommend that on the 13TW5v2 which I found odd since they can only use sealed enclosures.

JL manual says you can use 5/8" panels. That would give you an extra 1/4" on internal dimensions.
They also recommend that on the 13TW5v2 which I found odd since they can only use sealed enclosures.
Yeah, saw that too, was like ??? wtf! They do know there stuff, I usually just roll with it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...