Speaker recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

lestard77

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi there, I have a 01 Chevy Silverado, and have a new engine and other items replaced. Currently it has an Alpine CDA 7894 which has a rms of 27x4W, freq response 5-20000Hz and 105dB signal to noise Ratio. It’s old i know, maybe later I will upgrade them. For now, I am looking for 6.5 speakers for them.

I checked on clutch field and they recommended the infinity reference series ref6532ix that has the following specs, rms of 60w each, freq response 53-21000hz and 93dB sensitivity.

i also found the infinity kappa series 62ix, that has much better specs with rms of 75w each, freq response 45-25000Hz and 95dB sensitivity. It’s about 20 to 30 dollars more than the reference but it seems the material used for the kappa is much better.

I don’t have enough knowledge or expedience to and have the following questions.
1. is the deck I currently have, able to power the kappas or should I stick with the reference series?
2. is the deck even powerful enough to power the reference series speakers?
3. would there be a noticeable difference between them? I don’t think I will add an amplifier or a new deck for now, but maybe piece by piece if I can.
4. if not infinity what are your preferred speakers that you will recommend ? I am also planning to upgrade the column speakers too, probably going to match them with the same speaker brands I get for the above ones.

thank you, any input is appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with running that HU. It has 6 RCAs out @4v which is fantastic. It may not have all the Bells and whistles as the new HUs, but it is a well made unit, and Id run it until it dies out.I run older HUs myself as I like simplicity. It woild be worth your money to buy a set of components and place an amp on them for much better results. What is your budget? Running your main speakers off HU power really serves very little. An amplifier will clean up the distortion @ higher volumes tuned properly and even lower volumes. I have Kappas, and they sound very nice amplified, will not be worth the time spent installing without doing so.

Polk Audio DB series Coax would be my go too for running off HU Power alone.. Amplified, Polk MM Series or DB series components or CDT HD series,and or Kappas components. A nice little set up to get started on the front stage that would be Ideal

These speakers have a 5yr warranty

If you want to save up and get your component set later and just swapp out the front speakers from old stock and run off HU power.. These work very well for the Coin. They also do very nice on a 75 watt x2 amp up to 130x2 tuned properly. Overhead never hurts in most cases. Amp will run cooler and work less stressed

Amazon product ASIN B000P0PF9G
Hmm.. Not sure what is going on with the pasting on this site recently??

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the head unit at all. No reason not to run it.

The problem is that you don't have enough power for those speakers. You just won't get the volume out of those without some more wattage. Turning those up on that head unit would be about 50-60% volume of what they are capable of with an appropriately sized amp. Either get some low budget 30w speakers and play em off the head unit or do what EVERYONE IN HERE will tell you to do, and just get an amp and some speakers that will work well with it. If your head unit *****, and is maybe missing some features, you could get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 RMS, but an amp is better.

Get a 4ch amp. The long answer is to figure out your budget, your goals see what your budget allows for a set of components, and make those the star with the most of the budget up front. Then use that wattage, and get a set of rear speakers close to that, and get a 4ch amp that will play those four speakers. The generic answer is get a 4 x 100w RMS amp. It's probably the most common size and will allow you to find all sorts of speakers, in any price range, that will work on that amp.

You can find some really low budget amps that are high quality, just don't have the marketing budget of the big names. You can get some low budget speakers and upgrade them down the road.

Those speakers just aren't going to work well with that head unit. Go even cheaper and lower wattage on the speakers, get a different head unit, (which is the least reasonable option), or get an amp and speakers that work with that amp.

There's nothing wrong with the head unit at all. No reason not to run it.

The problem is that you don't have enough power for those speakers. You just won't get the volume out of those without some more wattage. Turning those up on that head unit would be about 50-60% volume of what they are capable of with an appropriately sized amp. Either get some low budget 30w speakers and play em off the head unit or do what EVERYONE IN HERE will tell you to do, and just get an amp and some speakers that will work well with it. If your head unit *****, and is maybe missing some features, you could get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 RMS, but an amp is better.

Get a 4ch amp. The long answer is to figure out your budget, your goals see what your budget allows for a set of components, and make those the star with the most of the budget up front. Then use that wattage, and get a set of rear speakers close to that, and get a 4ch amp that will play those four speakers. The generic answer is get a 4 x 100w RMS amp. It's probably the most common size and will allow you to find all sorts of speakers, in any price range, that will work on that amp.

You can find some really low budget amps that are high quality, just don't have the marketing budget of the big names. You can get some low budget speakers and upgrade them down the road.

Those speakers just aren't going to work well with that head unit. Go even cheaper and lower wattage on the speakers, get a different head unit, (which is the least reasonable option), or get an amp and speakers that work with that amp.
Thank you for the reply, seems like I am going to add an amp to my shopping list then. I really like the kappas, they seem to have very decent performance. I think if I keep my HU, get amps and 4 new speakers, it should work. Now I just got to see where people usually install an amp and how to wire it all together :)

There is nothing wrong with running that HU. It has 6 RCAs out @4v which is fantastic. It may not have all the Bells and whistles as the new HUs, but it is a well made unit, and Id run it until it dies out.I run older HUs myself as I like simplicity. It woild be worth your money to buy a set of components and place an amp on them for much better results. What is your budget? Running your main speakers off HU power really serves very little. An amplifier will clean up the distortion @ higher volumes tuned properly and even lower volumes. I have Kappas, and they sound very nice amplified, will not be worth the time spent installing without doing so.
Thank you for the many replies, i appreciate them and the knowledge. i Have been googling and YouTube for the last two days about speakers and HU and how to match them and such and the information is not complete and sometimes more confusing. My primary concern about using these speakers was that they might get damaged if they are not powered enough by my HU. I think I will start looking into an amp and see where they can be installed in my truck and maybe even replacing the HU if I can find something I like.

Thank you for the many replies, i appreciate them and the knowledge. i Have been googling and YouTube for the last two days about speakers and HU and how to match them and such and the information is not complete and sometimes more confusing. My primary concern about using these speakers was that they might get damaged if they are not powered enough by my HU. I think I will start looking into an amp and see where they can be installed in my truck and maybe even replacing the HU if I can find something I like.
Do you have a single cab,Xcab ? Ive been in the car Audio Hobby for over 25+ years. You Tube can be a hit or miss depending on the individual placing the information/Vid. You could get into using the Volume Knob at higher levels trying to reach that sweet listening spot and severely distorting the speakers and damaging them when an amplifier can clean that distortion up and give you the power you need. New HUs/Radios, Id recommend Alpine,Kenwood/JVC, and some Sonys, on the budget side with all the bells and whistles. You can find a pretty decent newer unit for $200 or under. Id recommend Sonic Electronix or Critchfield as they will include usually wiring harness, dash kit and possibly an antenna adapter if needed

Thank you for the reply, seems like I am going to add an amp to my shopping list then. I really like the kappas, they seem to have very decent performance. I think if I keep my HU, get amps and 4 new speakers, it should work. Now I just got to see where people usually install an amp and how to wire it all together :)
Here's where I put mine. You didn't say what cab size you have. Generally under the front passenger seat or behind the rear.

FINISHED 2.0 .jpg

You can always dial it down, but for either of those speaker sets, I would be looking at:
100w x 4 @ 4ohms RMS
This should be pretty easy to find, just how much do you want to spend for one with less distortion (THD), and size.

Do you have a single cab,Xcab ? Ive been in the car Audio Hobby for over 25+ years. You Tube can be a hit or miss depending on the individual placing the information/Vid. You could get into using the Volume Knob at higher levels trying to reach that sweet listening spot and severely distorting the speakers and damaging them when an amplifier can clean that distortion up and give you the power you need. New HUs/Radios, Id recommend Alpine,Kenwood/JVC, and some Sonys, on the budget side with all the bells and whistles. You can find a pretty decent newer unit for $200 or under. Id recommend Sonic Electronix or Critchfield as they will include usually wiring harness, dash kit and possibly an antenna adapter if needed
It’s a single cab and I got a great mechanic who became a friend. Got the shocks and control arm and bunch of other stuff replaced. to me it feels like a new truck :) now I just got to get it painted when the weather gets cooler.

I think I am looking for a new amp to run with the kappas. i am looking on crutchfield now to see what kind of 4 channel amps I can get. Seems they are commonly 50w and 75w and then 100w. Do the power stack up ? Like the hu that I have is 27w rms, does that add together with for example the 75w map to make 102w ? Or it does not work like that and just based on the power of the amp if I am running the speakers to an amp.

Here's where I put mine. You didn't say what cab size you have. Generally under the front passenger seat or behind the rear.

View attachment 51577

You can always dial it down, but for either of those speaker sets, I would be looking at:
100w x 4 @ 4ohms RMS
This should be pretty easy to find, just how much do you want to spend for one with less distortion (THD), and size.
Holy moly, that is a beautiful setup! I have a single cab so I will probably have it under my passenger seat. Your is really Impressive!
I am looking on crutchfield now on 4 channel amps. Seems the common power for amps are 50w x4 rms, 75w x4 rms and 100w x4 rms. Do the power stack up, like the Hu has 27w and if I get something that’s 75w, will it be like adding it together to get 102w or do they just go off the ratings on the amp, since they are wired to the amps.
thanks for the information sharing

Thanks. I started probably 10 years ago, have been trying to learn slowly along the way, and just recently got that done in my regular cab, and am going to change it again.

There are some great websites, youtube has some misleading stuff in there too, but I think you need to start with some of the basics. There is plenty of info out there.

This place really needs a few nice long stickys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...