Recoing In Progress. Need some assistence.

That's hilarious man! But functions flawlessly. I might have to try that. Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a clear picture.

I know I need to put weight on it somehow, but I don't want to set anything directly on the cone. What do I set the books or whatever on after I glue the dust cap.

I understand what you guys are saying buy he has a pretty big gap to try any get down to sit on the basket. I dont think the gasket will work as it will try pulling itself out away from under the gasket. Just make sure you have everything lined up before you spray any of the accelorater. After that stuff is sprayed it turns that glue to a rock instantly

I'm am still a little concerned about that. The surround is going to want to stick up even as I'm pressing it down. But I guess the close pins will work, but how do you get the Activator past the close pins? Just spray it over the top?

i like epoxy. i used a 30min high strenght epoxy for an SX/FI recone and an SX/XXX recone. the SX/FI turned out perfect. the SX/XXX was reconned same manner, same glue, less than 12hrs dry time, threw 3kw at it, and it held up completely fine. when i disassembled it i had to cut off the surround/spider cause the epoxy won't come off.

You can put the weight on the cone. I used a 10" Alpine Type R and placed it upside down right on the cone and let it sit there for 24 hours then took it off and made sure everything was ok (NO scrapping) and then i glued down the dustcap and put the type r on the dustcap and let it sit for another 24hours. Just dont put more than 10lbs or so on the dustcap.

That's hilarious man! But functions flawlessly. I might have to try that. Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a clear picture.
I know I need to put weight on it somehow, but I don't want to set anything directly on the cone. What do I set the books or whatever on after I glue the dust cap.
I found a bowl in the house that was just big enough for the surround, and had a 10lb weight on there. i would just press the cone in a little bit as the shims are tight enough to hold it down. And it works great.

I'm am still a little concerned about that. The surround is going to want to stick up even as I'm pressing it down. But I guess the close pins will work, but how do you get the Activator past the close pins? Just spray it over the top?
If you use enough glue it will sandwich out and you can hit if from underneath the basket. Put the spray bottle in between the spokes and hit it from the inside. Once you get it to hold they you can remove the clothes pins and hit it from the top. In your case though I would really add another bead of glue to the outer part of the surround and sandwich that surround onto the basket. Just like the pictrures on the Realm of excvursion site.

do this.

first. place shim in motor, then glue down the spider of the sub, leave shim in gap, place a towel over the gap/cone add weight, allow 4-8hrs cure time.

then after the spider is glued and cured begin on the surround. still leaving the shim in place find a something with some weight and place it onto the cone with a towel underit untill you see the gap between the surround and the cone are of no more. after you find that item of weight begin to glue the surround down. let cure for 4-8 hours. then glue the dustap on. the dustcap doesn't really need much weight on it but if you want do ahead. towel under weight and allow cure.

then wang away.

I found a bowl in the house that was just big enough for the surround, and had a 10lb weight on there. i would just press the cone in a little bit as the shims are tight enough to hold it down. And it works great.

Your shimed it that tight that you couldnt move the cone? That is way to tight

Here is a pic of what I did with my btl RECONE.

009-1.jpg

I put a bead around the whole outside edge to hold it extra

yeah. when i reconed mine i used blank sheets of paper untill i got a tight fit. worked out 100% for me.
I also used manilla folders for my shims but only made it tight enough so I could still get them out, You made it sound like the cone wouldnt move. Anything will work as long as you get it tight and don't overlap it.

My first one was a 15" BTL and i was scared but once I studied up on it and started it I had no problems. Then i did a RE MT the following week and Had a blast doing it. I really like reconing them and then having them work like new once done. Makes me proud of my work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.