Subwoofer for an MG

Participant count
  • Participant list

prodgod
10+ year member

Bored
We just got the 1977 MGB out of storage, so it's time to start working on it again. I need to find a subwoofer or two (preferably under 10") that will work well and sound good in a small sealed box. It will be run off of a Rockford Fosgate 5.3x which is rated at 110x1 at 4 ohm, and cannot go below 4 ohm on the sub channel. Any suggestions? Would love to stay under $100.

We just got the 1977 MGB out of storage, so it's time to start working on it again. I need to find a subwoofer or two (preferably under 10") that will work well and sound good in a small sealed box. It will be run off of a Rockford Fosgate 5.3x which is rated at 110x1 at 4 ohm, and cannot go below 4 ohm on the sub channel. Any suggestions? Would love to stay under $100.
pioneer 10 from walmart....lightweight, cheap and only needs ~100 watts

edit: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6958862

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19071

I'll look into it, thanks.

My best option would be to have two 8" subs that work in small sealed enclosures and can sound good off 55 watts. There are two cutouts in a panel right behind the seats where I could fit a small box in each. Any 8's that'll work off 55 watts and can be wired to 4 ohm?

I was looking at a the Tang Band 8's, but they cannot be wired to 4 ohm.

have you replaced the 5x8's in the rear yet.....i know the 73's had these, but am not sure about the 77 model

I was thinking you could do a pair forward firing through the factory rear speaker holes:idea:

There was no rear fill when we got it, but we added a set of Kappas mounted in the rear deck.

We could possibly fit up to a 12" if we did IB in the rear deck between the 6x9's.

That would be nice, but we want to keep the trunk basically empty. We either want to mount it IB, or small boxes in the cutouts behind the seats (one has the battery in it).
so you are talking about the battery boxes in the floor behind the seats?

so you are talking about the battery boxes in the floor behind the seats?
Yep, if we did them there, each sub would get a waffle grille. We only drive the car on really nice days, so water is not a huge concern.

MGB's are nice cars...I've often toyed with the idea of turning my MGB GT into an SPL machine....Two RE XXX 18's in a wall would probally get a little crazy as compact as that thing is...My MGB GT is a 69 model...

My dad and I are actually looking for a MGB GT. Since we already have an MGB with the rubber bumpers, we want to find both an older MGB and MGB GT with chrome bumpers. My dad's dream car is a MG TD, but those are almost impossible to find.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.