Recoing In Progress. Need some assistence.

I also used manilla folders for my shims but only made it tight enough so I could still get them out, You made it sound like the cone wouldnt move. Anything will work as long as you get it tight and don't overlap it.
no over laps or nothing, but the mt gap is tighter than the btl's so it held tight enough to keep the coil down.

no over laps or nothing, but the mt gap is tighter than the btl's so it held tight enough to keep the coil down.

Ya i think for the BTL i got three pieces thick in there and for the MT i used one piece plus a sheet of paper. The MT is alot smaller then the BTL

Ya i think for the BTL i got three pieces thick in there and for the MT i used one piece plus a sheet of paper. The MT is alot smaller then the BTL
Now its time to know more **** and learn how to fix amps. So you can also get a good price on a amp

Alright, I've got it all laid out. I just need to find a bowl and get some clothes pins and I'm set. One last noob question ( and no where does any searching I've done say this): I do remove the shims before I put the dust cap on right?

Alright, I've got it all laid out. I just need to find a bowl and get some clothes pins and I'm set. One last noob question ( and no where does any searching I've done say this): I do remove the shims before I put the dust cap on right?
I just put it in the coil wrapped and put it in the gap like that.

And permanently leave them in?
lawl no. when you glue. only glue the spider and the surround. leave the dustcap for 2-3 hours later after the initial gluing of the surround. anyways when you got the surround glued. remove the shim. then glue the dustcap.

just make sure the spider and surround have ample cure time before you remove the shim. you don't want to set them to glue and immediatly remove the shim then to have the spider/surround just slide over when you put the weight on it.

lawl no. when you glue. only glue the spider and the surround. leave the dustcap for 2-3 hours later after the initial gluing of the surround. anyways when you got the surround glued. remove the shim. then glue the dustcap.

I said it was a noob question //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif **** would catch fire if you did leave it and it was paper.

Thanks for everything guys, appreciate it. I'll report back tomorrow with results.

heres what you do.
set everything, make sure that it all fits.

it being a little high is normal.

spread a medium 1/4 inch sized bead of CA glue on the basket where the surround sits.

another bead where the spider sits.

press recone into place, and use something to weight it down, then put on the rubber gasket.

you need about 8-12 poinds on the center of the sub.

a mid, or a few books do the trick.

then apply accelerater to the beads of CA glue.

dont be afraid to put it right on the spider and the surround.

give it 24-48 hours.

then wang away.
x2

Dream2032.jpg

That's hilarious man! But functions flawlessly. I might have to try that. Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a clear picture.
I know I need to put weight on it somehow, but I don't want to set anything directly on the cone. What do I set the books or whatever on after I glue the dust cap.
set stuff on cone, glue coe / spider, surround in place.

re,ove books

glue on dustcap.

I should just try and recone my FI and either keep it or sell it for more, lol! Some people make it sound so hard and other make it seem so easy. You think I should try it for 85 dollars shipped?
Definately! Its not very hard at all, the biggest pain in the ass is just soldering the leads which isnt even all that bad.

Check out my thread it might help a little bit, plus ngs recone thread.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290761&page=3

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156059

I would much rather do it myself rather than paying the shipping and costs to have it reconed

Well, it's on. Here are some pics of what I got so far. I didn't have a chance to do it last night; I had to be up at 5 A this morning. I JUST now did it and reconing really is easy. Take a look:

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1009.jpg

DSCN1010.jpg

DSCN1011.jpg

DSCN1012.jpg

This last pic is a cap I believe goes on top of the coil, then the dust cap. Anyone think otherwise?

DSCN1015.jpg

I followed the same procedure that pretty much everyone has been mentioning in this thread and others that are searchable. After I cleaned everything, I used a paint brush to apply the Epoxy. Yes I felt like using the 60 min Locktite over the CA glue. I applied Epoxy to the part of the basket where the spider attaches, then to the part where the surround attaches. Put on the cone, installed the shims, put one of the ED 8" & Batcap for weight and clothespinned the surround. Now I wait.

Before I go to bed tonite, I will hit the surround and spider once again with the Epoxy and let it set overnight. Soder in the morning, build the box and see what it does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.