Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

is deadening the outer skin of your door necessary? im gonna use a deflex pad but im just wondering if i should deaden the entire outer skin too. the inner frame is already deadened.

is deadening the outer skin of your door necessary? im gonna use a deflex pad but im just wondering if i should deaden the entire outer skin too. the inner frame is already deadened.
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

so many vibrations come from the outer skin of your door because it

a) deflects vibrations from your speakers all over the place causing distortion

b) is a relatively thin piece of metal and vibrates like mad. feel your door from the outside when you have your speakers up high, they hum and buzz like a thousand bees.

c) everyone says your supposed to, the above reasons are just thinking logically/realistically

Since we're on the subject, here is a pic of the speaker OEM speaker rings on my car...would anyone recommend using the MDF rings in addition to the method listed here?

stock-spkr-ring.jpg

Plastic resonates quite nicely if not deadned.

What i normally do is get rid of the stock rings ( most aftermarket speakers dont fit them) and make some custom MDF ones.

Plastic resonates quite nicely if not deadned.What i normally do is get rod f the stock rings ( most aftermarket speakers dont fit them) and make some custom MDF ones.
Ok, looks like I'll be doing some ring cutting. Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

Well, I am going to try this out tonight. I will let you guys know what I find on saturday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Update.

Tried the egg crate out. Works very well, mid range frequencys dont sound so "under water" I spent $1.50 on it too. Took about 30 min to install with silicone. Added more deadener to my doors. The clay worked pretty good at sealing the little inperfections I had leftover after the fist two rounds of deadeneing. Tried the plexi idea with a sheet of balsa wood I had lying around, but my doors are too large and the door skin wouldnt allow me to install it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

All in all tis a great tutorial.

I highly recommend deadening the inside of the outer door skin, it made a huge difference with mine. But I disagree with not using liquid deadener. It may take longer, yes, but with a brush you can reach areas that you can't with a mat.

Update.
Tried the egg crate out. Works very well, mid range frequencys dont sound so "under water" I spent $1.50 on it too. Took about 30 min to install with silicone. Added more deadener to my doors. The clay worked pretty good at sealing the little inperfections I had leftover after the fist two rounds of deadeneing. Tried the plexi idea with a sheet of balsa wood I had lying around, but my doors are too large and the door skin wouldnt allow me to install it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

All in all tis a great tutorial.
bah i paid 30 bucks for my deflex pads, then again i do see water inside my door on rainy days. nice to see more positive comments on this stuff working, i have my liquid deadener on the way for my outer skin now.

to start off would it be affective if i just cover the outside of the door panel like this
163317_14.jpg
cause i only have 24 sq ft (2 dynamat extreme dookits) will that still be affective?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.