Port length in straight vs. L vs. S port

exactly so what if i had all parameters the same at 32 hz with a 3" wide straight port at 16 deep, and a 5" wide 30 " deep at 32 hz requiring the L in the box. whats the difference
How did you not see the difference? You typed in two different port sizes that's the difference... That makes the length longer

He wants too know why you would make the difference. OP the reason you would have a larger port is to reduce port noise. if your port is too small for you sub and box you will get port noise. The port should have an area of 12-16" per cube.

The port area required is dependent on power applied to the sub as well. Lower power means that you can get away with a smaller port.
I believe you mean excursion more specifically? If 1kw can mechanically max out sub A(2"+), yet barely move sub B(~1/2"), then sub A will need more port area because of the amount of air it's displacing(assuming same sized sub). The main thing to worry about it how much air will be moving within the port itself.

I hardly ever have a straight port because my ports are normally too long for that. But I stick with a L port unless the port opening inside of the box would be too close to the sub, in that case I'll go with a U or S shaped port to keep it all on one side of the box and allow me to safely place the sub away from the internal port opening.
Werd, x2. My port's around 4'+ long, cant really do that without some turns...

Your post doesn't make sense to me
Cmon man...lol

its all the same, length is determined by tuning. If you tune low you need a longer port, if you box is not very long on the side of the port then you need to bend it into an L or S or U to get the length determined by the tuning Fs
Id disagree, because changing direction so many times would have to have an effect on air flow etc

Id disagree, because changing direction so many times would have to have an effect on air flow etc
True, but 45's and round-overs help a ton from what I have tested. I did identical boxes, 1.5ft^3 with a 45" long port containing one 90* and one 180* turn...the one with no 45's or round-overs behaved more like a sealed box, it had good extension but output was just not there compared to the 45/round-over port. maybe the issue was componded because it was just a 12.5"x2" port, so it was fairly skinny compared to what I'd prefer to do, and port drag was worse than normal.

True, but 45's and round-overs help a ton from what I have tested. I did identical boxes, 1.5ft^3 with a 45" long port containing one 90* and one 180* turn...the one with no 45's or round-overs behaved more like a sealed box, it had good extension but output was just not there compared to the 45/round-over port. maybe the issue was componded because it was just a 12.5"x2" port, so it was fairly skinny compared to what I'd prefer to do, and port drag was worse than normal.
Coo coo

I like where this is going.. but no clear answer why u would do straight port over a long L port or even S port? Or viseversa, .. I see how the S would have less output. So then a straight port will be louder? Or?

I like where this is going.. but no clear answer why u would do straight port over a long L port or even S port? Or viseversa, .. I see how the S would have less output. So then a straight port will be louder? Or?
I just depends on what you can fit in your box...I don't know how else to say it. I already gave a reason as to why I'd do a U or S shaped port instead of an L port...it's all about what will work with the space you're working with.

Read posts 5, 6, 7, 9, and 17 again. Ir just reread the whole thing. If you cant figure out what we're saying from that, you should just get other people to design your boxes

Alright nevermind, I thought u guys were smarter then this. Oh well ill just change it up by trial and error and the pros and cons of each style at a givin space and tune..

Alright nevermind, I thought u guys were smarter then this.
Lulz, you are the one asking for help. If you'd better articulate exactly what you're trying to get info about, maybe you'd feel better about our responses. You never once asked what the pros and cons are; you asked why would we do one over the other, and we gave reasons why, which is normally because box of dimensions dictating where the port will have to go and how it will have to turn.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.