Port length in straight vs. L vs. S port

swangin68
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
hemet ca
with all the cubes, and port area the same, what is the difference and cause for having a L port or S port vs. a straight port? also when u do a L port what does making the back port of the L longer or shorter? seems as though it would restrict the sub more by going across the rear of subs and allow it to have better power handling, or is there more to it, and the reasons for doing it either way? ive been wondering this for a long time when making boxes.

you make an L when you cant get the length needed from a straight port. Also you dont want the opening of the port too close to the sub from what ive heard. Cant give the exact reason though, something to do with the not having space to build proper pressure or waves i think. Dont really understand your second post.

I hardly ever have a straight port because my ports are normally too long for that. But I stick with a L port unless the port opening inside of the box would be too close to the sub, in that case I'll go with a U or S shaped port to keep it all on one side of the box and allow me to safely place the sub away from the internal port opening.

its all the same, length is determined by tuning. If you tune low you need a longer port, if you box is not very long on the side of the port then you need to bend it into an L or S or U to get the length determined by the tuning Fs

well ive been using re calculator, and u can tune low with a short straight port, was wondering whats better the L or staright? when u get the same tuning out of each?

well ive been using re calculator, and u can tune low with a short straight port, was wondering whats better the L or staright? when u get the same tuning out of each?
Port length is based on three things.

1) Box volume after displacements

2) Size of port opening

3) Desired tuning

Keeping the other two variables the same, a smaller box, larger opening, or lower tuning will all require a longer port.

Port length is based on three things.
1) Box volume after displacements

2) Size of port opening

3) Desired tuning

Keeping the other two variables the same, a smaller box, larger opening, or lower tuning will all require a longer port.
exactly so what if i had all parameters the same at 32 hz with a 3" wide straight port at 16 deep, and a 5" wide 30 " deep at 32 hz requiring the L in the box. whats the difference

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.