Pioneer Amp, blowing multiple subwoofers..

RyanParshall
10+ year member

Cool New Member
Ok so I'm kind of pissed first of all that I spent a lot of time typing this out already like 4 days ago and it never even posted on the site.. so I'll try again but a quick explanation.

My Pioneer amp keeps blowing subwoofers, gone through three, below is the power ratings and what I'm using.

Amp: Pioneer GM-D7500M, Mono block Class D.

-400w rms @ 2ohms

-200w rms @ 4 ohms

8guage power and ground wires, both good.

Running a single 10in sub.

Pioneer Premier TS-W1008D4

-DVC 350w rms. Wired in parallel to 2 ohms.

Eclipse 10in, something...

-SVC 300w rms, wired in at 4ohms.

Amp Settings:

-Gain is set on "Normal" which is 1/4 of the way up. Not high enough that it should blow any of these subs.

-Bass boost at 0.

-Freq about 80-100hz,

-Set to LPF.

Deck has 4v pre outs.

Anybody have any idea why they keep blowing? I've been installing this stuff for the last 6 years off and on, and never had this problem before. No reason they should be blowing so soon, I had two of the Pioneer subs and one blew within a week and the other in under a month, and the eclipse sub took 2 days.

Any help is appreciated. Any questions, just ask. thanks.

car4.jpg

gain is to high the 4v outs are too much for the normal 2v setting you are referring to and knowing pioneer amp layouts that gain is about 3/4 of the way up if it is set to normal. just dial back the gain and enjoy you're probably expecting to much out of that sub

Actually the box is smaller inside than you think, it has a wall inside that cuts it off from the rest, when I did the plans, it came out to be only 1.23 cb ft internal volume, and thats minus the subwoofer inside of it. So I think the box is alright. The guy that said the 4v pre outs might be the problem, I never really thought about that. This is the first amp I've had on this Deck, which is also Pioneer Premier. And everything I've had in the past I believe was 2v pre out. So even only being 1/4 way up on gain, you think that might be too much? It was still pushing the subs pretty hard even at that.

On my DECK I have from what I remember..

Bass Boost = 2-3

HPF = 80hz

Lows = 2/6

Mids = 4/6

Highs = 6/6

And I think thats all that matters, deck wise.

Actually the box is smaller inside than you think, it has a wall inside that cuts it off from the rest, when I did the plans, it came out to be only 1.23 cb ft internal volume, and thats minus the subwoofer inside of it. So I think the box is alright. The guy that said the 4v pre outs might be the problem, I never really thought about that. This is the first amp I've had on this Deck, which is also Pioneer Premier. And everything I've had in the past I believe was 2v pre out. So even only being 1/4 way up on gain, you think that might be too much? It was still pushing the subs pretty hard even at that.
yes you gain is to be matched to the pre-out voltage which vary from deck to deck the normal for pioneer is 2volts so setting it to that is clipping the shitt out of the subs.

dial it back to 0 then slowly turn it up until the subs stop getting louder then dial it back a hair

I found out what it did was Fry one of the voice coils, I tested one voice coil and read 0, the other read 4, on the Pioneer subs. So I wired it in at just 4ohms and fryed the other voice coil in just a few days, haha.

****, I never had a deck any higher than 2V. I always thought that just had to do with signal quality. So what are the ups and downs to having a higher voltage output on deck then? thanks for everyones help.

4volt is supposed to have better signal quality it allows the amp to work less to achieve the same sound so if the amp is working less you get less heat which would cut down distortion, and youre just gonna fry the other coil if you didnt mess with the gain. and you cannot set the output voltage on any deck that i know of. just cut the gain down

Makes sense winky. That would also explain why the amplifier never gets hot haha. I suppose that's a good thing. I've also thought about just getting a sub with a higher rms rating, something more durable that can handle power a lot better, along with now I know why, or at least a very likely reason why I've been blowing subs.

I just didn't want to buy anything else until I knew my amp is alright. Already spent... $150 in the last couple months now on three subs that are all worthless now. :p

Makes sense winky. That would also explain why the amplifier never gets hot haha. I suppose that's a good thing. I've also thought about just getting a sub with a higher rms rating, something more durable that can handle power a lot better, along with now I know why, or at least a very likely reason why I've been blowing subs.
I just didn't want to buy anything else until I knew my amp is alright. Already spent... $150 in the last couple months now on three subs that are all worthless now. :p
even if you get a sub with a higher rms rating, if you dont turn the gain down youre going to blow that sub to the amp is not putting out anymore power the way its set rather than having the amp turned back to properly set. that sub should handle that amp fine if the amp is set right

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.