Which amp? (for MTX terminator 12's)

Participant count
  • Participant list

jflick092
10+ year member

Work Do'er
Ohio
I have 2 MTX terminator 12's theyre rated 200w rms each, I just sent the amp in that they came with cause its messed up but I wanna get something with a little more power because with the amp they came with theyre running like 250w to both...

Would the Hifonics HFi1000D work well or is that to much power? (750w @ 2ohm)

Or would a Rockford Fosgate R500-1 be a better choice? 500w @ 2ohm... Its a bit cheaper. Also I think it says 8g wire required? I already have 4g wire for everything... Unless they mean it has to be at least 8g....

If they could handle the hifonics then id get it... I just want to make them a bit better with out spending to much money, because eventually I know I want to move up to a FI BTL but probably not any time soon.

Also would it be worth getting a vented box instead of the sealed one I have? My one friend says he has a 12" fiberglass box that he would hook me up with, im not sure on the air space or anything but my guess is that its better than what I have now...

Or is there any other amps that I should consider?

I can give some help but im not a pro. To start some amps say 8 ga but they will take 4. Stay with the 4 and if it wont fit cut it down. Next is your amps, next time add some links so people like me can see the specs. Rockford would be nice but I never heard of the other one, but im getting old and way out of the loop. You can always keep the amp low so you wont blow your sub, and then you will be set up for your new subs when you get them. And the box thats up to u. Find the specs and see what they ask for in box size. If the box is to big or to small you can through of the bass and it will sound like crap. Ported will hit lower but they are bigger boxes, not by much. Hope that helps, its hard to get any help here. I don't think they like new people or something.

Rockford Fosgate R500-1 (r5001) - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix

Hifonics HFi1000D (HFi 1000D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

Im not sure that either of these amps would be sufficient for a BTL but maybe I could just sell them or something....

I dont think they list specs for the box because the came in a package... They list some 200w subs on the mtx site as 2.0 cuft per sub for vented though so 4 cu ft for 2 of them.... im not sure how many cuft the fiberglass box is, or if they know what it is. I definitively want a vented box though.. Lower hitting sounds better. And i have PLENTY of room for a bigger box. My trunk is HUGE.

and also, I already got my amp back it took a little bit over a week which isnt bad at all. I have yet to see if it works though because Im not home lol...

and yeah about "new" people... except ive been a member for two years lol... sites changed alot since then...

MTX Terminator - TNP212D Amplified Bass System

there's your link you need, all you had todo was goto their website all the info you need is right there. it tells you box size at the bottom i donno how to figure out cu's or i'd tell ya what it was. 29.6x15x13.8 the best thing you can do with those subs is find out what size your buddy's box is and try his out. like wingman already said don't get anything more than like 600rms amp for those subs. so that RF amp would be the best you could do.

ok from the 12volt website your box is 2.85 cubes.

Get something that does around 500~600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms(so 250~300 watts per sub), those subs aren't meant to take 500 watts RMS a piece and they won't last if you do so.
Yeah but the hifonics can go 375w each or the RF can do 250w each. (still isnt near 500w rms each) I dont know if it would be ok to push the subs with the hifonics. Wouldnt it be fine if I didnt turn it up alot? I dont know what will make the most difference. I just like the extra power that the hifonics has for the price.

MTX Terminator - TNP212D Amplified Bass Systemthere's your link you need, all you had todo was goto their website all the info you need is right there. it tells you box size at the bottom i donno how to figure out cu's or i'd tell ya what it was. 29.6x15x13.8 the best thing you can do with those subs is find out what size your buddy's box is and try his out. like wingman already said don't get anything more than like 600rms amp for those subs. so that RF amp would be the best you could do.

ok from the 12volt website your box is 2.85 cubes.
Yeah thats the link to the package I have.. I knew that info, I think sonic electronix lists the box size also, but I wanted to know what a good box size would be for them, I know its not the same if theyre in a ported box. how about 750 rms lol for both

That's correct! As long as you're careful to not overload the subs they will be fine, but it is just hard to do so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif
ahhh. thanks for the quick reply I didnt expect any so soon lol...

I think I should be fine at doing that... My HU only goes up to like 36 and I rarely put it past 22... I may have to go with the HF then...

Also this box is like this Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gpVGM4SsL.jpg

Holy long link.... not fiberglass... Bit of miscommunication there... Still dont know what the volume, but it basically looks just like that. Plexiglass front 4 round ports on the top... Also my subs are wired at 2ohms to one speaker terminal, and the box has two. Im not exactly sure how to wire it up for 2 ohms unless I just do the same thing but get some more wire because the wires in the box right now are just long enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.