Passive vs Active RCA Pre-Amp Level Controls

Participant count
  • Participant list

mkzblah

I'm going to be installing a sub+amp but continue using my factory stereo. Since the stereo won't have independent controls for adjusting the volume / level of my subs, I am looking to get a remote RCA level control to throw up front. I have seen two options:

Passive:

Something like this ...

PAC LC1 - Amplifier (Bass / Level) Remotes - Sonic Electronix

Active:

Something like this ...

JL Audio CL-RLC CleanSweep

I am NOT an audiophile, but I do like clean bass - one of the reasons I like the JLs. Is the JL active control worth the extra $$?

You could just use a line out convertor with adjustable gains if you are not trying to pay an arm and a leg. The JL cleansweep is pretty nice though. Its really up to you to decide if its worth the money. Other companies make good products for your purpose. I believe peripheral has some stock integration products.

If it were me I would go active. The passive level is just another obstacle in the signal chain. Then again so is the Cleansweep but at least the Clean sweep is active and has a line driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.