Pair of 8" subs in rear deck

Participant count
  • Participant list

jsampsell
10+ year member

Music and Electronics Nut
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and fairly new to all of this car audio stuff. I know more than the average Joe but not as much as most of you probably.

I have seen on another forum that a Ford Five Hundred owner installed two 8" subs in the rear deck where the factory 6x9 "subs" were. I have contacted him via that forum for help but haven't heard from him. So I'm left to see what I can come up with on my own.

The only reason I'm considering this is because I absolutely have to have all of my trunk space.

Now, I'm comfortable taking out the rear deck cover panel and removing the existing speakers and I'm going to be pulling the interior in the next week or two to lay down some B-Quiet Extreme sound deadener so I'll run the power, ground and RCAs for my amp and the new speaker wires at that time. My unknown in this is how to get the speakers to install in the stock locations. The 6x9s are oval and the 8s are circular. I've only seen pictures of the underside of that guy's install so I know that it is done but I don't know how he did it.

I know I'll have to create my own baffle but what do I use? Plywood? I've never made a baffle before.

Does anyone know where I can buy a baffle for this purpose by chance?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OK, I realized I wrote the wrong thing. I called a speaker adapter plate a baffle. Sorry about that. I had baffle on the brain. I was researching whether or not baffles were really worth installing.

I've tried to find some 6x9 to 8 speaker adapter plates using Google but nothing comes up. I suppose there's not enough demand for a plate like this.

So I'm back to making my own. I've got the dimensions of the sub I'm getting and the 6x9s that are coming out. Compensating for the height difference looks like the most difficult part of the job. So I'm not too worried.

Any recommendations on what material to use? Plywood? MDF? Does it really matter?

are you planning on running them ib?

for ur baffle and you were correct saying this i would use some 1/4 plastic or 1/8-3/16 metal and pop rivit to the deck after you open the oval to fit 8s. would lay a bead of silicone between the 2 pieces before you pop rivit so it dosent rattle.

you may also think about welding or bolting a piece of angle iron to the underside of the desk for a stiffener. if you dont go ib fiberglass up some pods...

Well, I just did some research on what IB was. Interesting. I figured that the factory "subs" used the trunk space like it was a very large enclosure vs. having them installed in a sealed or ported box but I didn't know there was a real term for it. Since that is the way the factory subs are, I'll probably go that route. I'm not looking to alert the neighbors from a few blocks away that I'm on the way home so if running these 8s off an amp will just round out my system, I'll be a happy camper. I'm just going to be pushing 125watts to each woofer so nothing too powerful.

As far as the speaker plate goes, SPLaudio, are you saying to cut out the 6x9 holes to fit the 8s so that they sit flush? I get adding the other things you mention if you do that but I was hoping to not have to cut anything. I'm pretty sure that there is enough room under the rear deck cover panel to raise the speakers up a little. I'm not really sure, though. I haven't pulled the panel yet to see. I just know that the guy I talked about showed pictures of the underside of the 8s installed but there was dynamat covering up the rear deck itself so I don't know if he cut the deck or not. He did mention that he did some "minor modifications" to get them installed. I wish he'd reply to my PM so that I could ask him. Oh well. I won't be able to install anything for a week or two anyway. I've the amp and the amp install kit but I don't have the subs in hand yet.

I'm planning on installing all of this when I pull the interior to add some B-Quiet Extreme sound deadener. I figure it would just be a hell of a lot easier to do it all at the same time.

pickup1, did you mount the woofer to the MDF from underneath firing up through the 6x9 hole or did you still mount the woofer from the top but somehow tapped into the MDF from above? I'm not exactly sure what you meant. I'm pretty sure that the width of the 8" woofer prevents it from installing into the 6x9 hole without modifying the hole or adding some height with a piece of something on top. I guess if you don't modify the hole the airflow is going to be effected in whichever direction the MDF is mounted.

Interesting. I'm glad I'm asking for help and thinking this through ahead of time. I absolutely HATE getting everything pulled and ready to go when something comes up that prevents you from finishing the job.

Thanks for the help.

Alright, some more info. I had ordered these JL Audio subs (JL Audio 8W1v2-4 W1v2 Series 8" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com) off eBay but they said they didn't have both in stock. Someone on the board here said they had some Eclipse subs that were really good and were def IB subs. Good price so I tried to get out of the ones on eBay due to the stock problem. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they'll refund my money or not. If I get stuck with these JL Audios are they going to work? Nothing I find on them says they are IB but I really don't see that on any sub on Crutchfield.

Another update. I was able to cancel my eBay order and they refunded my money so, thanks to Eclipsefool here on the forum for contacting me about them, I've got a pair of Eclipse 86080.4 subs on the way. I'm quite excited to hear how they sound in the car.

Now, back to the install. I haven't pulled the deck cover panel yet to see if there is any room for me to use an adapter that raises the speaker up a little bit or whether I'll have to cut the deck for the speakers to fit flush. I would rather not cut just in case I ever want to sell the car and put all the stock stuff back in but I really want to get these subs installed too, so we'll see what happens. If everything goes as planned, I'll be gutting the interior this weekend to install the B-Quiet Extreme and run all the wires for the new amp so I'll get to see what my options are at that point. Then it'll just be an issue of installing the subs and hooking them up to the amp when they come in. I'll update after this weekend since I'll probably have some more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I have some questions about hooking these new Eclipse subs up to an amp. This may be best suited for the amp section but I thought I'd start it here since it has to do with the subs.

I have done a LOT of reading/research on how to hook these up and I'm a little confused. I've got the two subs so I need to wire these in either series or parallel. My research tells me that series increases impedance and parallel lowers impedance. It also tells me that you shouldn't run lower impedance impedance than what your amp and speakers can handle. This is where my question starts. Nothing I see tells me which side of the install the wiring affects. A wiring diagram on one website shows two 4 ohm subs wired in parrallel up to an amp and the diagram shows the amp side at 2 ohms. I understand that the two 4 ohm speakers lowers the impedance and that's why it shows 2 ohms at the amp but the subs are only 4 ohm speakers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to blow the subs because I don't understand how to wire everything correctly. I hope that makes sense.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ok, I got the subs installed this weekend. Not as big a deal as I originally thought. I've got to clean it up a little but for now they are both in and working well. Much better response. These are really great woofers. I'm very pleased. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if I can link to other forums on here or not so I just thought I'd copy the posts from that other forum that I wrote about the install. Two posts with pictures and links.

Hey everyone. I am now done with my project and thought I'd post a write-up for those of you who may be interested or could benefit from the information and pictures. If you do a search on the forum you will see that a member by the name of Boggus had already posted some information about doing this back in 2005 but I haven't seen anything recent and I thought I'd go into a little more detail than Boggus did.

So here goes.

For me, this project started with a smokin deal on a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit and it all went downhill from there. As these projects usually do. Of course, that's what makes them fun though.

Here's the list of stuff that I purchased to get me started:

AVH-P4200DVD - Pioneer Head Unit

GEX-P20HD - HD Radio module

CD-BTB200 - Bluetooth module (for handsfree cell phone use - also plays stereo audio via BT)

CD-IU200V - iPod cable (in my case it is my iPhone)

CD-R55 - Wireless remote control (ended up giving it to a friend since the stereo is within regular reach in the Five Hundred and because I bought the steering wheel control adapter)

C2R-FRD1 - PAC factory wiring harness adapter (just makes it easier)

SWI-PS - PAC steering wheel control adapter

95-5812 - Metra double din install kit

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of that install because I didn't do it. I paid a local shop to do it because I thought I wouldn't have time for it for a few weeks and I really wanted it installed. Plus, there's a certain amount of warranty that you get from a shop that installs it for you.

Anyhow, I knew that adding an aftermarket head unit would make the stock speakers sound different but I really didn't know what to expect. I have a Limited model which has the "Audiophile" sound system which sounded pretty good to me stock. The front and rear 5x7 door speakers are the same except that the fronts have an integrated tweeter. The two rear deck 6x9 speakers are "subs" run off of a stock two channel amplifier. Most of you already know this, I realize, but I'm just trying to be thorough.

I drove away from the install shop extremely excited about the new toys but became a little disappointed as I drove down the road. I was surprised that, with the supposed extra power from the head unit's amplifier to the door speakers and all the different settings that the unit provides for tweaking the sound, it didn't sound any better than it did. I played around with the settings and even kept track of the both the high and low crossover points along with the different EQ, sub "level", bass boost, and loudness settings. I found a couple variations that seemed to sound alright but I just wasn't ever satisfied.

So, I did the next most likely thing and replaced the door speakers. I replaced them with JL Audio TR570-CXi 3-way speakers and used the Metra 72-5600 Ford speaker adapters for an easy hookup.

That was definitely an improvement. Again, I knew it would be better, but I had no idea how much better. I was nicely surprised. They aren't the best speakers on the market by far but they are a vast improvement over the stock speakers.

I again played with the sound settings and found a couple settings that seemed to work well for my ears but now the low end seemed to get overpowered by the highs of the new door speakers.

A co-worker of mine and I were talking about this and he said he had the amp from his car that he just traded in at the house and that he'd sell it to me for $50. I looked it up and figured it shouldn't be too much for the stock subs and if it was then I could just go out and get me a decent 10" in a box and hook it up. That was a Pioneer GM-5400T 2-channel amp.

I bought a Rockford Fosgate RFK8I amp install kit from Best Buy thinking that 8 gauge would be sufficient for the power that the GM-5400T was running.

I got that installed the same weekend I pulled the interior to put the B-Quiet Extreme sound deadener in the car. Very easy install with the interior in but an extremely easy install with it out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That was the best shock of all. I was blown away at how well the stock "subs" handled the extra power. I realized that the stock amp couldn't have been more than 35-50 watts per channel at best (I really have no idea, though). The extra power really sounded great in the car. It was much easier to find some sound settings that I liked with a closer matching low end than before.

That's when I ran across Boggus' post about putting 8" subs in the rear deck. And, of course, that got my brain working. I started doing some research on 8" subs. I started looking for more information on doing it myself. I found some decent priced subs on eBay and ordered a pair. Turns out they only had one in stock and they had to wait to get the other one in from their supplier. I had no problem with that. It happens.

Then I was contacted by a guy on another forum that he had a pair of used but in perfect condition 8" Eclipse subs for the same price I paid for the two JL Audio subs on eBay. I'm not sure why I couldn't find much on the internet about the model number of the Eclipse subs but I found some really good reviews, both professional and personal, about them so I contacted the sellers on eBay to see if they would give me a refund on my purchase since I had this other opportunity to have something sooner. They agreed and refunded my money the same day. I then sent the money to the guy via PayPal and had the subs within a few days.

That brings me to the project pictures.

As with any write-up, please realize that this is just how I did it so even though you may have the same car as I do that doesn't mean that it will be exactly the way the same project would go for you. Logic says it should be at least similar but...

Step 1: Remove the rear seat cushion. Boggus didn't mention this but it's not hard and I found it easier to get to the bolt that the side bolsters are attached to before you can remove those.

DSCN045.jpg

Step 2: Remove the side bolsters (red arrows) by popping the lower plastic tab off of the bolt at the bottom (white arrow in second picture). Disregard the white arrows in the first picture. Also, the second picture shows the top of the rear seats removed but you do not have to remove them for this project.

DSCN046.jpg

DSCN047.jpg

Step 3: Lower the upper seats.

Step 4: Remove the LH and RH trim pieces shown. There are two pieces per side. I've highlighted what areas go to each piece. There are two star head screws that you have to remove behind some plastic cover pieces. Then each area pops off with a little bit of force. If you've ever removed trim from this car you know what I'm talking about. It's not hard.

DSCN048.jpg

Step 5: Pop the three plastic retaining "screws" from the panel (see picture in Step 6 - blue arrow shows one of these)

Step 6: Pull the rear deck cover backwards while lifting up slightly. You have to unclip a connector on the right side near the window (white arrow in picture) before pulling it out completely. The rear deck tail light comes out along with the panel. If you want to remove this panel completely you will have to unscrew the safety belt from the floor but you can just move the panel to the back of the front seats and you will have plenty of room to work.

DSCN049.jpg

The next few pictures just show the rear panel with all the trim and the panel removed for reference.

DSCN050.jpg

DSCN051.jpg

DSCN052.jpg

DSCN055.jpg

Step 7: Remove the factory speakers. Each one is held in by a 6mm bolt. Mine were not very tight at all. There's not much room back there so you'll have to use something pretty short to do this.

DSCN053.jpg

DSCN054.jpg

The extra piece you see in the picture above is the Parking Aid Module. I didn't know what it was so I called a dealership and asked the parts department what it was.

Step 8: Measure and cut out pieces for the new 8" subs to sit down into the existing opening. I don't have specific pictures of this because it's a fairly easy thing to do and I didn't think about it while I was doing it. I measured the outer rim diameter of the speaker then the lip and then transferred that to a piece of cardboard. Then I placed the speaker on top of the cardboard and punched holes in it where the mounting holes were. After that I took the carboard cutout and transferred it to the bottom side of the rear deck on each side and marked the diameter with a pencil. Since the hole is already cut for the 6x9s it wasn't much material to cut out. It was just four small pieces with a jig saw and a bi-metal blade. Very easy.

DSCN056.jpg

Step 9: Clean up the cuts and test fit the speakers

Step 10: Drill holes for the mounting bolts. I used the four factory bolts. I can't remember what diameter bit I used but the factor bolts went in just fine. I won't be running the subs at constant levels to have done any further securing methods than this. It should be sufficient for my purposes.

Step 11: Screw the speakers down.

DSCN057.jpg

DSCN058.jpg

DSCN059.jpg

Step 12: Test your speakers.

Step 13: Reverse install the rear deck panel, side trim, seat bolsters and rear seat cushion and you are done.

After I got everything installed I was talking to someone else about what I had done and decided to install a 5-channel amp to power the four door speakers as well as the two new subs. So while I was installing these subs this past weekend I installed a new Infinity Reference 5350a amp along with a Rockford Fosgate RFK4I amp install kit since the Infinity amp is a little larger than the Pioneer. I didn't have time to run the wires to the doors but the subs sound even better on this amp than the Pioneer.

Once I get everything hooked up I will clean it all up and be good to go. I can't wait to hear the difference pushing the JL Audio door speakers to their best will sound. Then I've got some tinkering and tweaking to do with the new amp. All kinds of fun in store.

By the way, I also found a good deal on an Audiovox ACA200W rear view camera and got it installed as well. I had a little trouble with that but more on that later.

Hope this helps someone out down the road. For the rest of you, feedback is welcomed. Questions are also welcomed.

Jeremy

A quick update: I made some time yesterday to run the front and rear source wire and the door speaker wire so that I could use the 5 channel amp completely. What an amazing difference pushing the actual RMS that each speaker is rated at. The clarity is night and day. The combination of the aftermarket door speakers, the 8" subs and the 5 channel amp has really allowed for a complete range of sound instead of some highs and some lows but really muddy mids. I am so incredibly surprised. You can read all day long about how this kind of setup is that much better but until you do it yourself and experience the difference it makes you just have no idea.

In order to make the install as easy as possible I went ahead and removed the rear seat cushion, the rear seat bolsters, the side trim and the trunk carpet. I suppose running wire could be done by pushing the wire underneath the trim and then fishing the cable up underneath the rear seat and trunk carpet but it doesn't take long to pull everything and it makes it so much easier to do this job. The trunk carpet hides some space for wires to fit in so that worked out perfectly. I wanted to run everything underneath the carpet anyway so that it was as clean of an install as possible.

Running the source wire was the easiest. The door speaker wire was the challenge, though. My first thought was that I'd just use the existing connection between the door and the interior but upon inspection the genius minds at Ford decided to just set up plastic connectors at those locations instead of making it just wires passing through. I'm sure there had to be some reason for this but it doesn't make sense to me. The fronts were worse than the rear as far as fishing the wire through since there isn't direct access to the area where that connector is on the inside. I had to pop out the connector from the outside and then poke a hanger through. It's also almost impossible to actually run the new speaker wire through the black plastic tube so I had to puncture both sides and have a little speaker wire show. That didn't bother me so I made it work.

The rear doors were not as difficult to run the wire and they were certainly easier to access but the connector didn't allow for passing any wire through so I had to go underneath the connector and tape it up really good with electrical tape so that water wouldn't short anything out. The connector now sticks out a little bit but, again, that didn't bother me too much so I went with it.

After getting everything run through the doors it was only a matter of labeling the wires and making the connections. After that I tested everything and then put all the trim, carpet and rear seat bolsters and cushion back in. Perfect. I'm very please. If you haven't checked out my post on the sound deadener install, please do. There are some good pictures there. There are a couple here that are duplicates but I wanted to post some pictures of the work yesterday along with some pictures of the head unit and the rear view camera install.

Front doors

DSC_3489.jpg

DSC_3490.jpg

DSC_3491.jpg

DSC_3492.jpg

Trunk

DSC_3493.jpg

DSC_3494.jpg

DSC_3495.jpg

Interior

DSC_3496.jpg

DSC_3497.jpg

Looking into trunk

DSC_3498.jpg

Amp

DSC_3499.jpg

Dash showing ProClips iPhone holder and the iPod cable

DSC_3500.jpg

Head unit showing sources

DSC_3501.jpg

DSC_3502.jpg

HD source

DSC_3503.jpg

Bluetooth source

DSC_3504.jpg

Microphone install location for bluetooth module

DSC_3505.jpg

Rear view camera

DSC_3506.jpg

I ran the cable up through one of the tag light holes

DSC_3507.jpg

Then down with the existing cable into the trunk

DSC_3508.jpg

I made the power and video connections and hid them behind the LH trunk carpet

DSC_3509.jpg

Shot of video source from rear view camera (both the screen and the camera had pollen on them)

DSC_3510.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help now that I've gone through this.

Jeremy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.