What's Your Favorite and Least Favorite Subwoofer(s)?

Suicide Bobb
5,000+ posts

SPLC Fails
Go ahead and post your favorite and least favorite subwoofer(s) of all time, not necessarily the best/worst, or one that you have owned. Just your personal favorite/least favorite sub(s) that you have seen/heard, and a short reason why if you'd like. Here are my favorites...

-Boston G5 12": Best sound quality sub I have heard. It was in a small sealed hatch box with a GTR mounted on the other side. I said it would be the last sub I ever owned.

-Atomic Apocalypse X 18": I quickly made the statement about keeping the G5 a lie when I sold it and got this. This sub was just on a whole new level, besides the sound quality. It has proved a great challenge trying to find the right amp, electrical system, and box for it. It has so much potential. Not the worst sound quality, just not on the level of the G5. It's all about how much air it moves //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

-Phoenix Gold Octane R 12": They ****, but I have had the hardest time getting rid of them for some reason.

-Alpine Type R 12": Just a good all around sub.

-Phoenix Gold Cyclone: So sick! Look it up and you'll understand why...the only bad review they get is their reliability, but they are easy to diy service. I am yet to send it enough power to do it justice.

And my least favorites...

-(MA Audio? Radioshack?) Thump Pro 8": Think Funkypup's, but without the cult following.

-Rockford Fosgate subs: I'm not listing all that I have heard, but of them, I didn't like a single one of them because of their performance, price, etc. Just understand that I haven't heard a Power HX2 and hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from.

-Volfenhag ZX-4712: I convinced my friend to buy it back when I thought Volfenhag was good...and it only brought upon pain and sorrow.

-Kicker Comp's: There isn't a single thing I like about them.

-Rockford Fosgate P1's: My least favorite RF sub, for the same reason as my dislike of the Comp's.

-Those dual subs that come in an led-lit box

-Sony Xplod's: Same reason as Comp's/P1's. Except these are a good bang for buck SPL sub.

-Audiobahn subs: They look like chrome-plated ass, and sound like it too. And their power handling is notoriously overrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I list the ones I hate, i'll get banned, but I will AVOID listing that brand, 100%...

Likes...

Kicker Competition (NOT comp, or comp vr, back from the 90s with kicker in gold on cone)

Kicker CVR (I abused the crap outta mine, and they kept going)

Kicker CVX (Been owning for over 2 years, and still never hooked em up, so, IDK, lmao)

MTX Thunder Thins (Impressed the heck outta me, 2-10s in a DF box in an '06 gm crew, and WOW)

Orion HCCA (Just love em, plain and simple)

Phoenix Gold Cyclones (so its not really a subwoofer, but i love that design)

Savard RAP (cheap, easy to power, and huge bang for little buck)

Savard PRO (on par with classic Kicker competitions)

Savard Hi-Q (beastly of the Savard line up)

Kicker Solobaric (1st design from the 90s, love those, very accurate)

Dislike...

All Sony subs (I just hate em, they came red that way when they caught fire, it'd be somewhat camo)

Pioneer Nickel plated (Who HAS NOT cracked one under heavy bass?)

Pyle (Need I say more?)

Pyramid (Why ask?)

Blaupunkt (Well...the 6 I heard, all squeaked)

MA Audio (IDK, just didnt like the ones I had, they sounded fluttery, right out the box)

Audiobahn (Well, I love flames, and they ruined that for me with the chrome)

Dual (uhm...no)

Focal (I really dont hear why it costs so much)

Kenwood shallows (sounded like someone hitting a bucket with a mop)

If I list the ones I hate, i'll get banned, but I will AVOID listing that brand, 100%...
Likes...

Kicker Competition (NOT comp, or comp vr, back from the 90s with kicker in gold on cone)

Kicker CVR (I abused the crap outta mine, and they kept going)

Kicker CVX (Been owning for over 2 years, and still never hooked em up, so, IDK, lmao)

MTX Thunder Thins (Impressed the heck outta me, 2-10s in a DF box in an '06 gm crew, and WOW)

Orion HCCA (Just love em, plain and simple)

Phoenix Gold Cyclones (so its not really a subwoofer, but i love that design)

Savard RAP (cheap, easy to power, and huge bang for little buck)

Savard PRO (on par with classic Kicker competitions)

Savard Hi-Q (beastly of the Savard line up)

Kicker Solobaric (1st design from the 90s, love those, very accurate)

Dislike...

All Sony subs (I just hate em, they came red that way when they caught fire, it'd be somewhat camo)

Pioneer Nickel plated (Who HAS NOT cracked one under heavy bass?)

Pyle (Need I say more?)

Pyramid (Why ask?)

Blaupunkt (Well...the 6 I heard, all squeaked)

MA Audio (IDK, just didnt like the ones I had, they sounded fluttery, right out the box)

Audiobahn (Well, I love flames, and they ruined that for me with the chrome)

Dual (uhm...no)

Focal (I really dont hear why it costs so much)

Kenwood shallows (sounded like someone hitting a bucket with a mop)
Thanks for reminding me about the Cyclone and Audiobahn. I added them to my list.

I actually have a Cyclone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You should find one...it is the only speaker I have found that interests 99% of those who aren't interested in speakers at all. Good luck finding one for $175 like I did though :p

175 is straight INSANE. Theres an older guy in Mobile, near my dad, he's got 12 of them in a '91 single cab s10, in the bed, in a camper shell...truck has been sitting since, I want to say 1996 or 1997. He wont sell it to me, or the sound stuff.

Post up a thread dedicated to that motor you got...

least fav

ia warden

ddz1

critical mass ul12

tc sounds lms ultra

favorite

cadence wild beast

cadence zrs

cadence daytona

re se

dc level 3

most fav

boston g5 12

boston spg 555

jl w7 12

kicker cvx 10

kicker solo classic 12

least fav

anything sony, dual, pyramid, legacy, pyle, lanzar and visonik

kicker solo baric l5 12

lightning audio 12

power acoustik p2-12

rockford r1 12

kicker cvr 10

Last edited by a moderator:
favorite

pioneer 2000spl's-super cheap and decently loud

pioneer 3004spl's-same reason

mach 5 ixl-cheap and sounds great.

least fav

walmart lighting audio-do I need to explain?

rf p1's-cheap p.o.s

audiobahn-literally saw one fall apart off 200rms, logo on front came shooting off, surround unravelled from the cone. This happened in a 2 minute span. Sub was brand new as well.

kicker comps

175 is straight INSANE. Theres an older guy in Mobile, near my dad, he's got 12 of them in a '91 single cab s10, in the bed, in a camper shell...truck has been sitting since, I want to say 1996 or 1997. He wont sell it to me, or the sound stuff.
Post up a thread dedicated to that motor you got...
Yeah it was...and I wasn't even looking for one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I just checked craigslist as usual, and I saw it...regardless of what it was worth, I knew I had to have it. Then I noticed some guy sold two for $350 each in one day with like 9 offers, so it was obviously a good deal. All I had to do was take apart the motor casing and rid the magnet dust from it, and it's good as new //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It is brand new, and it may as well have never been used. It even came with the original box in the packaging!

What do you mean, post a thread about it? About what, exactly? The deal I got? You can see the thread about the box built for it, which has pics of my cyclone in it, as well. http://caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/467059-enclosure-pg-cyclone.html

least fav
ia warden

ddz1

critical mass ul12

tc sounds lms ultra

favorite

cadence wild beast

cadence zrs

cadence daytona

re se

dc level 3
Oooooh, controversial //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

most favorite

DC AUDIO LEVEL 6. can take 7k daily and sounds ultra clean doing it. can burps over 30k rms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

least favorite

pyle anything. nothing good ever came out of pyle

Oooooh, controversial //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
least fav cause i cant afford them right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Suicide Bobb

5,000+ posts
SPLC Fails
Suicide Bobb
Camas, Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date