Kicker L7S10 pair and HCCA 2100 for Denali

Participant count
  • Participant list

DuffelBagDustin

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello folks. I have been on this forum for quite a while but just use it for learning and ideas. I don't have much interaction as far as post / replies etc but believe me I browse this form frequently and appreciate everyone here. I'm just an old school '90s dude who still loves car audio. I have an extensive collection of '90s / early 2000s amplifiers. Anyway I finally decided to contribute some content here. I am doing two kicker Solo-Baric 10's (L7S10) in my wife's Yukon Denali. I am using dual 2 ohm subs wired parallel for a 1 ohm load into my Orion HCCA 2100. I bought this amp in like 1996. Amplifier has barely been used. Still have the box/ etc lol. Anyway I thought I would share some pictures of the box I am building and will share a couple more as it is complete. The subs are sharing a common sealed enclosure facing back to back. The front portion is mitered out as you can see , that is for a piece of 3/4 in acrylic plexi. The enclosure I built shown here will not be visible. I am building a cover panel to match the interior with padded vinyl and a routered opening in front to show through the plexiglass to display the speaker magnets and a neon Playboy bunny sign I had made for these dimensions. The final enclosure is 2.8 cubic feet of air space accounting for the subwoofer and bracing displacement. I did two coats of rhino bed liner and then a satin granite finish paint for inside so far. Hopefully I will have this project done in the next couple weeks and post some finished pictures. Any input/feedback is appreciated. Like something I missed or something that would be a good suggestion is always appreciated. Thanks.

Ok so I am so internet/ forum illiterate I can't figure out how to attach pictures lol. I will try after I post this thread. IMG_20230703_135809114.jpg

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_135809114.jpg
    IMG_20230703_135809114.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230704_182505504.jpg
    IMG_20230704_182505504.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230709_220137296.jpg
    IMG_20230709_220137296.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230708_162901483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230708_162901483_HDR.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230701_164752033_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230701_164752033_HDR.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230704_142928915_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230704_142928915_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Would be best wired at a 2 ohm load.. These were not designed for below 2 ohm mono.

Back in the day everyone claimed 1 ohm mono and low as .5 if you had the current to feed it.
But that's most likely the reason it was so tough to find these in proper working condition..

I loved these amps 20 sum years ago but today I would not even bother running one to be honest.

Would be best wired at a 2 ohm load.. These were not designed for below 2 ohm mono.

Back in the day everyone claimed 1 ohm mono and low as .5 if you had the current to feed it.
But that's most likely the reason it was so tough to find these in proper working condition..

I loved these amps 20 sum years ago but today I would not even bother running one to be honest.
Thanks for the feedback. I want to run it, well, because I have it lol and also just kind of for a nostalgia look... That being said it should still run those two 10-in subs Just fine shouldn't it? I mean even at a 2 ohm load? I know it's advertised as 200 by 2 at 4 ohms, which is way under the RMS advertised for the speakers, but it should still thump okay shouldn't it? It's for my wife's truck and we're not going for crazy bass or anything just a little punch and some good sound. Thanks for your thoughts on this

Thanks for the feedback. I want to run it, well, because I have it lol and also just kind of for a nostalgia look... That being said it should still run those two 10-in subs Just fine shouldn't it? I mean even at a 2 ohm load? I know it's advertised as 200 by 2 at 4 ohms, which is way under the RMS advertised for the speakers, but it should still thump okay shouldn't it? It's for my wife's truck and we're not going for crazy bass or anything just a little punch and some good sound. Thanks for your thoughts on this

Without a doubt it will be fine to run and will give you what you are seeking.

Those were underrated amplifiers iirc running them at 2 ohm will be fine as deez said and should sound okay. I would pull the covers off the amplifier though and check all the caps and resistors just to be safe. Over time things can degrade on electronics even when not being used.

YouThose were underrated amplifiers iirc running them at 2 ohm will be fine as deez said and should sound okay. I would pull the covers off the amplifier though and check all the caps and resistors just to be safe. Over time things can degrade on electronics even when not being used.
Thanks! I will do that. I need someone accessable who is experienced/ qualified to inspect amp. Do you have any advice on amplifier inspection / how to test before installing??

Hello folks. I have been on this forum for quite a while but just use it for learning and ideas. I don't have much interaction as far as post / replies etc but believe me I browse this form frequently and appreciate everyone here. I'm just an old school '90s dude who still loves car audio. I have an extensive collection of '90s / early 2000s amplifiers. Anyway I finally decided to contribute some content here. I am doing two kicker Solo-Baric 10's (L7S10) in my wife's Yukon Denali. I am using dual 2 ohm subs wired parallel for a 1 ohm load into my Orion HCCA 2100. I bought this amp in like 1996. Amplifier has barely been used. Still have the box/ etc lol. Anyway I thought I would share some pictures of the box I am building and will share a couple more as it is complete. The subs are sharing a common sealed enclosure facing back to back. The front portion is mitered out as you can see , that is for a piece of 3/4 in acrylic plexi. The enclosure I built shown here will not be visible. I am building a cover panel to match the interior with padded vinyl and a routered opening in front to show through the plexiglass to display the speaker magnets and a neon Playboy bunny sign I had made for these dimensions. The final enclosure is 2.8 cubic feet of air space accounting for the subwoofer and bracing displacement. I did two coats of rhino bed liner and then a satin granite finish paint for inside so far. Hopefully I will have this project done in the next couple weeks and post some finished pictures. Any input/feedback is appreciated. Like something I missed or something that would be a good suggestion is always appreciated. Thanks.

Ok so I am so internet/ forum illiterate I can't figure out how to attach pictures lol. I will try after I post this thread.
welcome

I'm prepared to let that slide as the amp looks very clean so why wouldn't you use it? Have reasonable expectations, age and electrolytic capacitors don't go well together and that amp is well past the point where those will be likely to fail.
Thank you I will have it checked out for sure. Appreciate it 👍

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...