Overpower a sub by 150 watts RMS?

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
May 1, 2013
York, SC
I'm looking at a JBL grand touring 12 which lists 350 watts rms on its specs, but then has a 1400 watt peak. Could I power it with a 500 watt rms Alpine amp which peaks at 1000 without hurting the sub? I'll probably be playing it at a relatively high level for sometimes an hour at a time but usually only the 15 minute drive to work.

If there's any better amp/sub combos under $500 lmk.

kingkongcustom

Jun 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
That should be fine. If you are looking to make some nice bass on the cheap check out a Memphis PR12D4V2 with a SR1.250 amp in the right box it will go hard and you can have sub and amp for less than $300.

OP
B

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
May 1, 2013
York, SC
If you meant the GTO subs they will handle a lot more than RMS rated power, according to TalkAudio.co.uk
One more question, would the GTO create deeper, more boomy bass than the newest alpine type s?

trumpet

Barry Schanz
Jan 3, 2011
Grafton, ND
That depends more on the box and how you set up your equipment. I don't sell Alpine so I can't accurately comment on their subs from personal use.

One more question, would the GTO create deeper, more boomy bass than the newest alpine type s?

OP
B

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
May 1, 2013
York, SC
That will all depend on the box you put it in.
What if they're both in their recommended ported enclosures? Sorry I have so many questions, just trying to make the right decision haha

macsdad

boom-boom
Jun 12, 2010
Trussville, Al
Dude, I hope i don't sound like a butt, but this whole hobby is about trial and error. The most important thing about the particular sub's output is the enclosure you use. It can make or break your system. Do as much research as you can, on subs in your budget, peruse the classies here, and look for what you want. It is a constantly changing thing, everything, and I mean everything, sounds different to everybody. That is what makes it so difficult to find the ever elusive unicorn we call the perfect sound. That's why we love this stuff so damm much, dude. The really honest ones will agree with this.

IonRL205

DJ h4z4rdes
10+ year member
Sep 4, 2008
Abilene, Texas
What if they're both in their recommended ported enclosures? Sorry I have so many questions, just trying to make the right decision haha
There's no telling how it will sound since your vehicle has an effect on the sound as well.

OP
B

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
May 1, 2013
York, SC
There's no telling how it will sound since your vehicle has an effect on the sound as well.
Alright, thanks for all your help man. I think I'm gonna go with a JL W3, it looks like a great sub

macsdad

boom-boom
Jun 12, 2010
Trussville, Al
As long as you got a decent price, that should do ok, just remember what was said about the enclosure. There are guys on here that have used and like jl, some time mfg specs are not really accurate, do some research and depending on size, fs of the woofer, then decide with what size/tuning to go with. A great place to start with enclosures is double07-jedi box MASTER period. There are others who also build or can offer designs to boggle the audio imagination. Good luck, dude. Hopefuly you will upgrade electricals so you can have all the joy/sorrow and up/downs the rest of us deal with all the time. Big 3 in 0/1g, high output alt, extra batt/batts and ride the wind, until you get that old upgrade itch, but it is fun as he!!, I fuqin love this sh1t. I'm thru, be good, and fuqin ride til the doors fall off, dude. Nothing like this here stuff, you know you like it, no matter what "they" say, who's with me?

macsdad

boom-boom
Jun 12, 2010
Trussville, Al
How come none of you muthafuqa's told us this ***** is worse than, crack, meth, heroin, puzzy, he!! life just ain't the same once you have had your saq just fuqin earthquaked by this stuff. If you don't beleive me, explain the post about a 60,000 watt build, go ahead, I'll wait.

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
Id also look at a Dayton Ho 12 for the money.I have a almost BN JL W3-12 inch sub,that I ran for a few weeks,and did not like it..My Dayton HO 10 served more justice

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
That being said, it is available..A good enclosure(ported,possibly sealed depending on the sub,and space given),some deadning done,electrical upgrade/Big3,and a good battery(preferb.an agm)to begin with,and an efficient amp,and good quality sub yields good quality sound

macsdad

boom-boom
Jun 12, 2010
Trussville, Al
That being said, it is available..A good enclosure(ported,possibly sealed depending on the sub,and space given),some deadning done,electrical upgrade/Big3,and a good battery(preferb.an agm)to begin with,and an efficient amp,and good quality sub yields good quality sound
what he said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest classifieds