Overpower a sub by 150 watts RMS?

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
York, SC
I'm looking at a JBL grand touring 12 which lists 350 watts rms on its specs, but then has a 1400 watt peak. Could I power it with a 500 watt rms Alpine amp which peaks at 1000 without hurting the sub? I'll probably be playing it at a relatively high level for sometimes an hour at a time but usually only the 15 minute drive to work.

If there's any better amp/sub combos under $500 lmk.

That depends more on the box and how you set up your equipment. I don't sell Alpine so I can't accurately comment on their subs from personal use.

One more question, would the GTO create deeper, more boomy bass than the newest alpine type s?

Dude, I hope i don't sound like a butt, but this whole hobby is about trial and error. The most important thing about the particular sub's output is the enclosure you use. It can make or break your system. Do as much research as you can, on subs in your budget, peruse the classies here, and look for what you want. It is a constantly changing thing, everything, and I mean everything, sounds different to everybody. That is what makes it so difficult to find the ever elusive unicorn we call the perfect sound. That's why we love this stuff so damm much, dude. The really honest ones will agree with this.

As long as you got a decent price, that should do ok, just remember what was said about the enclosure. There are guys on here that have used and like jl, some time mfg specs are not really accurate, do some research and depending on size, fs of the woofer, then decide with what size/tuning to go with. A great place to start with enclosures is double07-jedi box MASTER period. There are others who also build or can offer designs to boggle the audio imagination. Good luck, dude. Hopefuly you will upgrade electricals so you can have all the joy/sorrow and up/downs the rest of us deal with all the time. Big 3 in 0/1g, high output alt, extra batt/batts and ride the wind, until you get that old upgrade itch, but it is fun as he!!, I fuqin love this sh1t. I'm thru, be good, and fuqin ride til the doors fall off, dude. Nothing like this here stuff, you know you like it, no matter what "they" say, who's with me?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.