Not impressed with Sundown x-15v2, I hope its settings...Help and opinions needed

********. Those Sundown spiders will soften about as much as they're going to in the first 20 minutes of hard play and even first burp to 2 years later burp would not be even an audible difference in SPL.
The problem here, as I see it, is the Rockford HX2 is actually a really good woofer and it's likely the prefab box was tuned for actual music and was probably close to what those woofers wanted for tuning and airspace.

The Sundown X is not an impressive woofer in my book apart from looks particularly in a 15" where you have less cone area than traditional surround, huge moving mass, and a 1200W voice coil on a platform that'll need 6K+ to reach x-max unless you're being a dummy playing below tuning or are trying to play 15hz sine bombs. They're not bad for what they're designed to do, but if you wanted to play actual music and not whale songs you should have kept the HX2s which are great subs with the ability to get loud.
Hater.

Are you anywhere near x-mech on yours without playing way below tuning? You'd be louder by 1.5dB if you swapped them straight out for Z series (any version) with the old style cone/surround/suspension I'd bet.

I like them for the innovation of the new cone and frame but I'd wager almost nobody who uses them needs all that extra mass and sacrificed cone area.

Are you anywhere near x-mech on yours without playing way below tuning? You'd be louder by 1.5dB if you swapped them straight out for Z series (any version) with the old style cone/surround/suspension I'd bet.
I like them for the innovation of the new cone and frame but I'd wager almost nobody who uses them needs all that extra mass and sacrificed cone area.
Makes no sense to me to swap to z series if I'm not running more power to them. Plus they weigh more. As much as I would like to upgrade my amps to more power, unfortunately I cannot. Unless I win the lottery for some oddball reason...

Last edited by a moderator:
My HU does have sub central....It has sub off/on, reverse phase,and bass boost. As far as LPF I'm only seeing HPF.
sub central should be maxed out. bass boost off, phase (whatever sounds better) If there is no low pass on the head unit then set it on the amp right aroun 80 or 100, eyeball it. Pretty sure you wont even need to use the susonic filter with the power you are running so keep that extremely low.

Makes no sense to me to swap to z series if I'm not running more power to them. Plus they weigh more. As much as I would like to, unfortunately I cannot. Unless I win the lottery for some oddball reason...
So you need more power to swap into subs that would gain you 1.5dB on the power you have?

Actually your head unit's sub out doesnt reach proper output voltage unless that is maxed out for most head units.
I'm skeptical of anything that says + in any head unit settings. OP says he is using 75% of the gain on his amp which should be adequate or even too much for any source signal.

I get it, everyone here loves Sundown and can't imagine that OP isn't happy but I don't think his head unit settings are what's holding him back here.

So you need more power to swap into subs that would gain you 1.5dB on the power you have?

I'm skeptical of anything that says + in any head unit settings. OP says he is using 75% of the gain on his amp which should be adequate or even too much for any source signal.

I get it, everyone here loves Sundown and can't imagine that OP isn't happy but I don't think his head unit settings are what's holding him back here.
i dont like sundown but I do know hifonics and pioneer head units. He's not getting anywhere near proper output voltage. Sub level is not the same as bass boost. It affects the gain the same way as volume however its almost common knowledge that to get full clean pre-out voltage out of your sub RCA out, you need the sub level maxed out. If he does it right, he can back the gain down to 60% or so and still have full output depending his sub's actual rca output. as of now i doubt he's even seeing 2 volt preout off his head unit.

Why must you insist that I'm after gaining 1.5dB?? Where did I say I was trying to do that? IS this topic about me or figuring out OP's situation/issue/problem?? I have no plans to swap subs anytime soon so you can quit that remark.

Oops. I'm wanting new amps, NOT new subs. I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

I don’t (+) anything on my head unit. 0’s across the board
yeah i just use man eq to boost 10-16k for tweets +5

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.