Not impressed with Sundown x-15v2, I hope its settings...Help and opinions needed

do you know the actual tuning frequency of the box? have you set the gains, subsonic, lpf, and bass boost on amp? one 1500w rms can only do so much.
maybe try a smaller box tuned to higher frequency. i like high 30s, even up to 40.
Absolute no no.

Box size is 37.5x17x20.5 tuned to 32hz. The car isn't the issue (I know not the best), but the last two sets of subs moved sound pretty well inside the car. Maybe it could be the break in or bigger amp..... We went pretty close to the specs that sundown recommends on there site. All I know is right now I should've stuck with the 2 Skar ddx 15s in the way to small box lol.... Money wise, not saying Skar is a better brand, just thought with the sundown in the correct box would've been instantly louder. Now I'm lookin at spending more money either on a amp or box, but I don't see it being the box if its built to sundowns specs.

Box size is 37.5x17x20.5 tuned to 32hz. The car isn't the issue (I know not the best), but the last two sets of subs moved sound pretty well inside the car. Maybe it could be the break in or bigger amp..... We went pretty close to the specs that sundown recommends on there site. All I know is right now I should've stuck with the 2 Skar ddx 15s in the way to small box lol.... Money wise, not saying Skar is a better brand, just thought with the sundown in the correct box would've been instantly louder. Now I'm lookin at spending more money either on a amp or box, but I don't see it being the box if its built to sundowns specs.
That sub can take gobs of power. You need to understand sending it 300-400 watts from that amp, as Jeff stated already, isn't gonna do much. You need a t least 2500 watts to get that thing going.

Breaking the sub in isnt going to be a night and day difference. Youre used to higher tuned boxes and higher bass.

A single 15 in a low tuned box probably isnt going to give you the sound youre looking for.

Thats because real boxes arent built to recommended specs, they are built depending on the vehicle acoustics, and cabin gain along with your target response modeled out using the sub's TS parameters and tailored to listening preferences and your input power plays a role too. What you have is just a randomly thrown together "mediocre at best" crapshoot box, not a true custom ported. That box actually looks really poorly designed around your current power, its more designed for a much bigger amp than that hifonics.

But seriously, the issue is that hifonics amp, literally zero output until you reach halfway point with the gain. Reset your gains , try some of those bass songs in those links for music I linked and report back. Dont even bother responding until you tried this. If you confirm that the amp is actually maxed out then its not a gain issue and we can continue this conversation.

Break in wont do jack sh*t if your sub's already not loud. Its like praying for rain during a drought and you only get a morning mist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breaking the sub in isnt going to be a night and day difference. Youre used to higher tuned boxes and higher bass.A single 15 in a low tuned box probably isnt going to give you the sound youre looking for.
Def this is part of the issue along with a 100 watt amp lol. I know that's a bit exagerating but sending a 2k+++ sub a few hundred watts, I'm surprised the sub doesn't jump out of it's box and slap you.

Op, what type of music do you listen to?

Def this is part of the issue along with a 100 watt amp lol. I know that's a bit exagerating but sending a 2k+++ sub a few hundred watts, I'm surprised the sub doesn't jump out of it's box and slap you.
Op, what type of music do you listen to?
Again, he's not even coming close to a few hundred watts if his gain is too low on that hifonics. Their gain knobs go up to 9 volts and are not sensitive at all. Literally even with a 5 volt pre-out my gain had to be around 60% to even get proper AC voltage out of that amp. If he has a 2 volt pioneer or a cheapo one thats not even 2 volts, then his gain setting will be in the 75% range... yikes, but thats whats needed to match the head unit's pre-out voltage. Another reason why i hate hifonics amps.

I wanna say box placement has something to do with this also. It looks like the box is sitting in the middle of the trunk. I think closer to the back so it will load off the back better will help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.