Not impressed with Sundown x-15v2, I hope its settings...Help and opinions needed

will take time to break in

********. Those Sundown spiders will soften about as much as they're going to in the first 20 minutes of hard play and even first burp to 2 years later burp would not be even an audible difference in SPL.

The problem here, as I see it, is the Rockford HX2 is actually a really good woofer and it's likely the prefab box was tuned for actual music and was probably close to what those woofers wanted for tuning and airspace.

The Sundown X is not an impressive woofer in my book apart from looks particularly in a 15" where you have less cone area than traditional surround, huge moving mass, and a 1200W voice coil on a platform that'll need 6K+ to reach x-max unless you're being a dummy playing below tuning or are trying to play 15hz sine bombs. They're not bad for what they're designed to do, but if you wanted to play actual music and not whale songs you should have kept the HX2s which are great subs with the ability to get loud.

[quote name='hispls']********. Those Sundown spiders will soften about as much as they're going to in the first 20 minutes of hard play and even first burp to 2 years later burp would not be even an audible difference in SPL.

The problem here, as I see it, is the Rockford HX2 is actually a really good woofer and it's likely the prefab box was tuned for actual music and was probably close to what those woofers wanted for tuning and airspace.

The Sundown X is not an impressive woofer in my book apart from looks particularly in a 15" where you have less cone area than traditional surround, huge moving mass, and a 1200W voice coil on a platform that'll need 6K+ to reach x-max unless you're being a dummy playing below tuning or are trying to play 15hz sine bombs. They're not bad for what they're designed to do, but if you wanted to play actual music and not whale songs you should have kept the HX2s which are great subs with the ability to get loud.[/QUOTE]

The 15 box is turned for what sundown calls for and airspace also. The HX2 sounds good and I still have them. I went with this single 15 because I had two Skar ddx 15s in a prefabbed box that was about total 4.5cubes. They sounded good also, but I was told I was starving them for airspace and one 15 with the right tuning and airspace would sound alot better @hispls

[quote name='Spadepro22']The 15 box is turned for what sundown calls for and airspace also. The HX2 sounds good and I still have them. I went with this single 15 because I had two Skar ddx 15s in a prefabbed box that was about total 4.5cubes. They sounded good also, but I was told I was starving them for airspace and one 15 with the right tuning and airspace would sound alot better @hispls[/QUOTE]

Is it wired correctly? If your box is 4.25 cubes and tuned to 32hz with 68”port it should hammer pretty good even with that Hiphonics amp. My guess is it’s wired wrong, or the setting on the amp or HU are wrong.

[quote name='Spadepro22']The 15 box is turned for what sundown calls for and airspace also. The HX2 sounds good and I still have them. I went with this single 15 because I had two Skar ddx 15s in a prefabbed box that was about total 4.5cubes. They sounded good also, but I was told I was starving them for airspace and one 15 with the right tuning and airspace would sound alot better @hispls[/QUOTE]

Well, if it sounds good, it is good. Switch back to them and sell the X.

[quote name='Hertz Mafia']I have a few friends with xv2s and their builds peak in the 40-50s. Sundowns don’t only play low. You have to be very narrow minded to believe that.[/QUOTE]

And you'd have to be a fool or blind Sundown nuthugger to buy a woofer like that to play 40hz and up.

It is all around inefficient and not practical and there is almost no reason anybody should be running out of x-mech with, say Zv2 which is actually a pretty good platform. You might could make a case that the extra excursion can be useful in a 12" but even there. Direct swap, the big surround cone loses 1.5dB over the Zv2 cone which is significant.

Is it wired correctly? If your box is 4.25 cubes and tuned to 32hz with 68”port it should hammer pretty good even with that Hiphonics amp. My guess is it’s wired wrong, or the setting on the amp or HU are wrong.
Its wired correctly to 1ohm, verified with meter. The settings have me confused on the hu. A wanna get all that set before I go trying to replace amps.

yeah x are made for deep bass like they said your other box tuned higher will be louder on most music.. it possible u just needed 1 good 12 in smaller higher tuned box like a fu 1250 or something similar in just 1.8cf tuned at 36 hz about like mine..

Is there anyone that is familiar with tuning the HU and amp tha I can give my cell to that can give me hand? If so inbox me please. I'd like to at least make sure this is right before exploring other options.

eeeh thats a dumb move actually, they'll both do the same power. Only way is with a korean amp aka ts 2.8k which needs some saving up.
Well since it is holiday season and being a bit "cheap", have no idea OP's financial situation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.