Newbie questions-

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tek
10+ year member

I'm really interested in building a nice system, so I'll probably be in here alot. Currently I have a 1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera w/factory head unit, blaupunkt 3 1/2" in the front and Sony 6x9 XPLODs in the back. This may be the stupidest question ever but heres my current problem. When I turn on the car, but not the engine, they make this pulsing noise, like a ton of bass is going to them, on and off. I was told I have a bad ground connection. Problem is, I know nothing about wiring and I dont know what a ground is. All I did was connect the wires that were connected to the old speakers to the new ones.

Also, I believe I'm getting a Pioneer DEH 3400 head unit for Christmas, is that the best I can get for that price range? (little under $200).

And I plan on buying some subs after christmas, I saw 2 Lightning Audio 12" w/box and amp for $200 at Best Buy, is that a good deal?

Thanks.

That wouldn't be your ground b/c the ground is the same w/ the car on/off. the only thing i can think of is that your battery does not put out enough watts and needs the alternator to supply the power...

Pioneer, Alpine, and Clarion are probably the best brands to buy something under 200 bucks.

Don't buy the lightning subs. Save your money and get something nice that you will be able to hear.

probably not the problem since the h/u doesnt really draw all that much power......it does sound like you might have to small of a ground on your head unit....i would recomend taking your current factory head unit out and finding out which wire is the ground and make a new ground.....

I would definetly recommend checking the ground wire on the h/u to amke sure it a good connection. As for the subs i wouldnt recommend the lightning audio, i have heard a pair of 12's before at, you guessed it best buy and i could barely even hear them. I couldnt quite figure it out though, i could feel the subs moving alot of air standing in front of them but they just didnt have any sound whatsoever. They might do better in a car but in the showroom they just didnt have anything.

If all you did was replace stock speakers with aftermarket ones, this is a tough question to answer. Usually factory wiring is quite adequate. Only thing I can think of is whether the factory HU can handle 4 ohm speakers. They might be too much load on it. That's kinda a long shot though.

If you still have the factory speakers, can you see any writing on them that might indicate what their impedance is? It'll be a number followed by the Greek Omega symbol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.