Newbie doing first time installation -- questions before I cut anything

9c1

Hello --

Doing my first install -- an Alpine INA-W900BT into a 2004 Tacoma. A fairly basic installation, but since it's my first, I'd like to ask a few questions to ensure I have it right before cutting, crimping or soldering anything:

• I bought the unit from Crutchfield -- the (generic) installation instructions say I may need to wire my unit into the vehicle's speed sensor to get accurate GPS, but I don't see any wire on the Alpine to tap into the speed sensor. Am I overlooking it or is it not necessary?
  • There are some cables that I don't think I need: REMOTE OUT, REMOTE IN, M. CONT. I think those are for peripherals (I have none). Is this correct?
  • What is GUIDE CONT. for and do I need to do anything with it?
  • In the same area as all of these wires (remote out/in, m. cont., guide cont) there is also a thicker black wire that appears to be an AUX input. Is it, in fact, an AUX input? (the manual doesn't say anything about it)
  • I'm also wiring in a PAC TR7 because I don't want to cut into my brake wiring at all. It says to wire the green wire on the TR7 to the Alpine Remote Out. I think this is the blue/white wire that Alpine calls "Remote Turn On". Can anyone verify?

Sorry if these are basic questions -- I'd rather make sure I have it right before doing irreversible damage.

I wrote before i fully read.

The blue w/ white stripe is the remote(on both the alpine and car specific harness), so hook that up to the green of the tr7. If the black wire you speak of is on the wire harness it'll be the ground.

I do not know what the "m. cont" is though.

thanks for the help on the TR7. The black wire is definitely not a ground wire -- it really looks like an AUX input. A post at a different forum said it might be the steering wheel remote input. Not sure.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to.

i07sy.JPG

thanks for the help on the TR7. The black wire is definitely not a ground wire -- it really looks like an AUX input. A post at a different forum said it might be the steering wheel remote input. Not sure.
Here's a picture of what I'm referring to.

i07sy.JPG
It looks like a aux plug this website says your deck has one/ also could be for your antenna - what do the instructions say each wire is? do i see them in the background of this picture?

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

that black wire in the picture should be an aux wire. my pioneer avh p4300 came with a plug in just like that for aux out of the box. might be the new thing people are doing.

black wire looks to be a standard 3.5mm aux input. Run an aux cable with two male 3.5mm and you can plug in most any type or music player. If you dont have an ipod,mp3 player, computer, etc. then I wouldnt worry about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.