new car

Christine74

CarAudio.com Recruit
just bought my daughter her first car. 2014 nissan versa (tiny car). It has just a factory cd/fm/am head unit. I think its a 1.5 din. Im looking to get something that is GPS compatible, backup camera compatible, and works with factory hands free system. Any suggestions? Not wanting to break the bank.

just bought my daughter her first car. 2014 nissan versa (tiny car). It has just a factory cd/fm/am head unit. I think its a 1.5 din. Im looking to get something that is GPS compatible, backup camera compatible, and works with factory hands free system. Any suggestions? Not wanting to break the bank.

Is it a versa note or a regular Versither way I think it’s a 2din slot. Since you’re daughter may be a radio listener And really like hd radio i recommended the lowest cost pioneer unit that had it. Pioneers are very user friendly. This will allow Bluetooth play of phone apps including navigation apps(but not visual navigation on the screen). You will
Have to but th

might be cool to throw in a couple new sets of coaxials in the door too:)

Thank you. What would I need foe the visual navigation? It would be able to be controlled from the steering wheel? The audio hands-free system would work for making phone calls?

Was just about to order this, but I'm a bit skeptical. I want to use the cars mic and the cars steering wheel controls.
look at the iDataLink Maestro cables and converters that allow you to retain the handsfree controls from the factory unit. It will plug in between the vehicle factory wires and the new radio (head unit). You will need to upload the firmware specific to your car by plugging it into a computer with internet access before installing it into the car. So you'll need to have a bit of IT knowledge to follow the step by step instructions.

Thank you. I want to put it in as a surprise. Not sure when I will have time to install. I may even bring it to Bestbuy and have them install. Do they charge a lot for installs? I really like doing this myself though.

Typical install of radio head unit and the Connectors to link it to the vehicle computer takes about 4 hours. Adding an amplifier and speaker could turn into 8 hours. This assumes you need to read and follow instructions. If you know what you're doing and don't need the instructions, I've seen a complete system install take less than 2 hours. And if you're not good at following instructions from the manuals I've seen it take 2 or 3 days. So I suggest sending your daughter on a 3 day cruise so you can get it done.

Bestbuy can get the job done in an afternoon. But...I suggest you tell them exactly what you want done. I've done a few re-wires on jobs completed by Best Buy. They are not bad installers but they certainly don't do things to my own specs. And I've never seen one where they got the tuning right. they get it close...but there is always room for improvement.

As a reference...I just finished up my install on my new truck last night. I solder all wire connections...no crimps. That takes a little longer and absolutely is not necessary. I worked on this install in the evenings after work. 3-4 hours each night for 3 nights...total of 11 hours. 6 new speakers (2 in the dash and four door panels) and a subwoofer. Three amps total. Power lines for each amp. All new speaker wires(again, not necessary). And now I get to start tuning it...I'm not done yet. But, here I am waiting on the mail to deliver equipment to tune with (my dog ate my tester). So be prepared for delays. It's really hard to do an install as a surprise.

I've done plenty of installs back in the day, before steering wheel controls and GPS. I most recently did a backup camera and remote start on my Ram pickup. I know what I'm doing, mostly. Just not with the steering controls, firmware, and that stuff. Although, in my last life I was an electronic technician and IT support. My current life I still do a lot with IT support in a school.

My next questions... will this Pioneer head unit be able to be controlled by voice. When i hit the phone button, will I be prompted and allowed to call a contact or dial my phone?

Next... I really would like the face to sit flush. I want it to look factory.

So the Nissan has handsfree calling now? Which head unit are you asking about? There's been a couple brought up in this thread. Assuming the Pioneer 5201 mentioned last, that one had BT hands free in the head unit. If you get the wire harness for the car you'll need one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASWC1/Axxess-ASWC-1-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html to connect to the steering wheel controls and one of these for the phone controls https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120NIS32BT/Axxess-AX-NIS32BT-Bluetooth-Harness.html. And one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120707552/Metra-70-7552-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html to wire in the new head unit. You cannot retain the car's BT connection, but the Pioneer has its own BT connection. There is a kit to install the radio into the existing hole https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120957621/Metra-95-7621-Dash-Kit.html . And one of these to connect the car's radio antenna https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040NI12/Metra-40-NI12-Antenna-Adapter.html

I've reference all these parts from Crutchfield.com only because they have a nice feature where you put in the car and it makes recommendations for everything you need. You can then go out and price shop for parts from other vendors if you like. Do not buy these parts based on my recommendation because I made a few assumptions about the trim level of the Nissan. Put your car info into their search feature to verify which parts will actually work for your car's trim level.

I should also mention...I had the pioneer 4201NEX in my 2009 Silverado that I sold two weeks ago. It is a very nice head unit. Lots of controls for EQ and crossovers. If you're not going to install amps and subwoofers, that may be a bit too much of a head unit for your needs, but it will allow options to upgrade later on. I think the HU will put out enough watts to make any speaker sound nice...but not loud without an amp.

Last edited:
My next questions... will this Pioneer head unit be able to be controlled by voice. When i hit the phone button, will I be prompted and allowed to call a contact or dial my phone?
I missed this part of your question. The Pioneer will allow for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. You press and hold the phone button and it will launch which ever iOS or Android app you're using and you can speak whatever commands your phone uses (Siri or google Gidget). Your phone must be conn etched by USB wire for Android Auto to work. I do not know if the same is true for Apple CarPlay. If the phone is connected by BT then all you get is the basic voice control...I think it is something like "Dial 123-7548" or "Call <name of someone in the phone book stored on the head unit>"

Perfect. This helps a lot. I was thinking this head unit because it has the visual GPS. I think im going to go into a store tomorrow and check them out. I dont want the face to stick out at all. I want it to sit flush.

Perfect. This helps a lot. I was thinking this head unit because it has the visual GPS. I think im going to go into a store tomorrow and check them out. I dont want the face to stick out at all. I want it to sit flush.
Just to make sure you're aware...once your phone is connected via android auto or Apple Car Play, the phone's GPS and mapping is displayed on the head unit's screen. I decided on the 4201NEX in my last truck because it doesn't have GPS or mapping built in. Seems a bit redundant to have GPS in the stereo when I have it on my phone.

My new Ram PU doesn't have GPS in the factory HE either. I specifically chose the lower trim level because I did not want to pay for GPS twice.

I'm sure there are reasons to buy the GPS unit. I'm just pointing it out in case you had not considered this before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.