Need opinion on good 3000+ amp

What’s the db/octave slope on your amp? It should say somewhere close to the amp crossovers.

No, my radio didn’t have a high pass/subsonic for the subs.

Yes, in general, but you have to play a decent bit under tuning, usually, to bottom out. The port is a resistor to air-energy at tuning frequency, so you have to play below (or well above, in some cases) that to lose the resistance-pressure buildup, and that loss in internal pressure is what makes a woofer bottom out. You’d probably have to play down in the mid 20’s before that happens, just depends on a lot of factors.
Slope on the amp crossovers is -12/db

Slope on the amp crossovers is -12/db

That’s probably your problem. Set the radio LPF at -24 db for the amp, and that’s another reason why you’d potentially buy a higher quality amp, is because they tend to come with higher quality crossovers that are 24db/octave slope. -12 db/octave for an SSF means you have to set the crossover way higher up for the power to roll off enough to avoid bottoming out on lows. You might be able to get an inline and adjustable 24db/slope SSF, and plug it into your RCA’s before it reaches the amp.

That’s probably your problem. Set the radio LPF at -24 db, and that’s another reason why you’d potentially buy a higher quality amp, is because they tend to come with higher quality crossovers that are 24db/octave slope. -12 db/octave for an SSF means you have to set the crossover way higher up for the power to roll off enough to avoid bottoming out on lows. You might be able to get an inline SSF, and plug it into your RCA’s before it reaches the amp.
So open the crossovers, set the lpf to 80 on the headunit, and set the slope to -24 db

So open the crossovers, set the lpf to 80 on the headunit, and set the slope to -24 db

At least set the radio low pass at -24db. You get to choose what frequencies you want; it’s however high you can or want to play. You need to probably set your amp SSF somewhere. You can *lightly* play a tone at a low frequency and turn the amp’s SSF up until that frequency starts to fade, so you know at least where your SSF is set to or begins fading off downwards in Hz. I’ve set up many 12 db/octave crossovers back in the day, it’s way more difficult on the SSF. It’ll take some playing with to get it where you want it.

Last edited:
Got it. Also when you received your SIA was the bass boost maxed out? My **** was clipping so fast I thought I got an amp with a short until I turned off the bass boost

Bass boost off. Turn your subwoofer level setting to max on your HU to insure a good signal. Set your HI crossover at 70 hz. or 80 hz. I put the bass knob at 50% and then I play a bass heavy song and set my gain accordingly. Then you will have room on your bass knob to turn the bass up or down for every song.

Tried all those and it's still giving me high frequency output. I can see the cone moving with voice and sampling sounds before the bass hits. I have my my low pass open and my high pass just a **** hair above 10hz. Low pass is set to 70 on my head unit and the 24/octave rolloff didn't help

Tried all those and it's still giving me high frequency output. I can see the cone moving with voice and sampling sounds before the bass hits. I have my my low pass open and my high pass just a **** hair above 10hz. Low pass is set to 70 on my head unit and the 24/octave rolloff didn't help

I would set it at -12 db. My suns will still move a little when somebody is talking on NPR or talk shows. Maybe post a video.

Which two amps? Driving what impedance? Just tripling down instead of learning what this even means.

I don’t think it’s a matter of me knowing what it means; I think it’s just a matter of what matters to the individual listening to the system. I stated the static load on the amp. Damping factor is a much bigger concept than just the amp, or maybe the way to say it is that damping extends outside of the amplifier itself. There’s many factors in how much damping factor you need in your system, including subjective factors. I’ve personally experienced the difference, so that’s how I see it. I’m not saying you need all the damping, I’m just saying I wouldn’t want the amp with the lowest on the market. It’s not absurd, man. That’s a legit thing, especially on musical systems.

Last edited:

Is there any chance you’ve plugged your sub amp into the wrong set of RCA’s?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...