Need Bass Heavy 6x9's - Possible?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zsx5o1
10+ year member

CT
Hello All, I'm looking to source (if possible) some 6x9 speakers that would give a decent amount of bass. I need them to replace the stock 6x9 subwoofer in my M3 which is basically a sports car for me and I am sensitive to the weight I put into it.

Here is how the stock set up looks:

DSC00083.jpg

That little rectangle at the top is actually the amplifier for these two bad boys. It connects to the roof of the trunk and fires down. Could anyone recommend something that might offer decent bass in this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The most typical upgrade for an m3 is a pair of Kicker 6x9 subwoofers (old school). They bolt right in no problem. Had a pair for a while, they were tight!
ah I remember those. wish my friend still had his //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

And yes, I meant subwoofers, not mid bass drivers. Those stock speakers are subwoofers as well I believe.
They are just subwoofers, although they aren't very clean and I can still hear some vocals. Would I run the kicker 6x9's with a separate/aftermarket amp?

They are just subwoofers, although they aren't very clean and I can still hear some vocals. Would I run the kicker 6x9's with a separate/aftermarket amp?
yes. might be better off that way even if you don't want to. 2 tiny amp is not that much added extra weight at all.

Yeah the vocals you hear are attributable to the crossover on the amp.

Do whatever suits your budget. A separate amp would be the best solution. I'm guessing you want to stick with those 6x9's, not throw in some 12's or something?

...I'm guessing you want to stick with those 6x9's, not throw in some 12's or something?
Correct. Thanks for the responses guys and thanks for being sensitive to my weight issue. Could you recommend directly 2 6x9 subwoofers & amp to run them?

I should have added ones that will fit this enclosure, which is only 3" deep.

*edit I just had a thought and wondered would it be better if these were firing up, into the cabin? If this were the case I could cut the enclosure and let the speakers hang down and not have to worry about depth. Would this be a good idea?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.