Need a little more help on wiring second bat fusing

thericanballer
10+ year member

God Bless You
Orlando, FL
A man from AQ told me i had to connect the battery + from the front to the + on the bat in the back. that is fused. Do i need to fuse the negative wire going to the negative in the back? and im sure i need to fuse the + going from the + on the second bat to the amp. thanks

You need to put a fuse on the positive in between the front and back battery. You don't need to fuse the ground though. Also you should just ground the back battery in the back. There is no need to run a positive and negative front to back. It's also recommended that you use a battery isolator. Make sure that u use fuses after the back battery to your amps too.

You need to put a fuse on the positive in between the front and back battery. You don't need to fuse the ground though. Also you should just ground the back battery in the back. There is no need to run a positive and negative front to back. It's also recommended that you use a battery isolator. Make sure that u use fuses after the back battery to your amps too.
this, minus the isolator part

so i DONT send another 0 gauge wire from the front to back for the second bat.?
for posiitve yes, negative, no. i just read again where he said,"There is no need to run a positive and negative front to back." but for the positive, you will need to.

Run a positive from the front to back. Ground the battery in the back. There is no need to run a ground from the front. The whole chassis of the car is a ground. Was the guy from AQ selling you the wire?? Maybe that's why he told you to run a positive and negative.

You will have to run Pos from the front to the back Pos.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the ground.

Some say the body has too many welds and connections to be a good ground path for alot of power.

Thus a Neg run of 1/0 ga should be run for a better path.

Unless your car has a solid frame rail that runs the full lenght of the car. Then ground to that.

The guy from AQ might know somthing you don't about your car and the ground path.

You might want to also keep in mind you will want to fuse the front Pos going to the back.

And fuse the same wire just before the connection to the Batt Pos in the back.

In other words you will have fuses at both ends of the Pos cable run just before each batt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run a positive from the front to back. Ground the battery in the back. There is no need to run a ground from the front. The whole chassis of the car is a ground.
this

You will have to run Pos from the front to the back Pos.
There are two schools of thought when it comes to the ground.

Some say the body has too many welds and connections to be a good ground path for alot of power.

Thus a Neg run of 1/0 ga should be run for a better path.

Unless your car has a solid frame rail that runs the full lenght of the car. Then ground to that.

The guy from AQ might know somthing you don't about your car and the ground path.

You might want to also keep in mind you will want to fuse the front Pos going to the back.

And fuse the same wire just before the connection to the Batt Pos in the back.

In other words you will have fuses at both ends of the Pos cable run just before each batt.
you only want one fuse after the front positive terminal. you dont add another to it BEFORE it connects to the other battery. only fuse again after the rear battery before it it connects to your amp. if for example you were to run multiple batteries, you would wanna fuse between each battery. you dont HAVE to, but if there may be some sort of short, that fuse will save the day.

on another note, most would say to keep your ground as short as possible, which i agree with. so the theory of running front to back may be true in some areas but doubt you will need it nor will it make a huge difference..

gbody805 is correct. you will need fuses at both ends of the + power wire between the batteries. think about it. if the power wire shorted out the regular front fuse would blow disconnecting the front battery from the short. but the rear battery would still be connected to the power wire that is shorted out. at that point no rear fuse= fire!

gbody805 is correct. you will need fuses at both ends of the + power wire between the batteries. think about it. if the power wire shorted out the regular front fuse would blow disconnecting the front battery from the short. but the rear battery would still be connected to the power wire that is shorted out. at that point no rear fuse= fire!
NO, you dont fuse twice on the same power wire between the front and rear battery! you fuse again AFTER the 2nd battery.

I can kind of see what youre saying as an extra precautionary but fusing twice is not required

First no fuse required for the ground, always fuse the amps.

Second:

Ok let us say for a minute.

You have a front and rear battery.

You run the power cable from the front to the rear. Your cable is ran thru the firewall and for some reason (let us say just for instance) the grommet fails,melts, turns to dust whatever.

The power cable grounds to the firewall.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/scared.gif.f134e57c6c93ccd0f15aa5ac32c7d4a0.gif

The section of cable from the firewall to the front battery has a fuse and said fuse opens from the huge current draw. Cool everything up front is safe.

Now lets see what happens to the rear section that has no fuse.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif

The least that you can hope to happen is the wire is strong enough to take the huge power draw that a fully charged battery has to offer, and the worst you get is a melted wire that discolors the carpet in a neat line that runs from the front to the back.

The worst case:eek:mg:

The battery unloads, the cable starts slow with just melting the outer case, then turns bright glowing red as it starts to melt!

But wait a 1/0 guage wire will stay glowing red just long enough to start melting the carpet.

If you're really lucky it will have a nice light show complete with flames //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

Just because you really didn't want to have just a little $15-$25 protection like a fuse protecting that pest of a rear cable.

It's your ride you do what you think is best.

Oh wait that's right the net guy said it would be alright //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

My bad. I'll just move along looks like everything is alright in here.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

First no fuse required for the ground, always fuse the amps.
Second:

Ok let us say for a minute.

You have a front and rear battery.

You run the power cable from the front to the rear. Your cable is ran thru the firewall and for some reason (let us say just for instance) the grommet fails,melts, turns to dust whatever.

The power cable grounds to the firewall.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/scared.gif.f134e57c6c93ccd0f15aa5ac32c7d4a0.gif

The section of cable from the firewall to the front battery has a fuse and said fuse opens from the huge current draw. Cool everything up front is safe.

Now lets see what happens to the rear section that has no fuse.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif

The least that you can hope to happen is the wire is strong enough to take the huge power draw that a fully charged battery has to offer, and the worst you get is a melted wire that discolors the carpet in a neat line that runs from the front to the back.

The worst case:eek:mg:

The battery unloads, the cable starts slow with just melting the outer case, then turns bright glowing red as it starts to melt!

But wait a 1/0 guage wire will stay glowing red just long enough to start melting the carpet.

If you're really lucky it will have a nice light show complete with flames //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

Just because you really didn't want to have just a little $15-$25 protection like a fuse protecting that pest of a rear cable.

It's your ride you do what you think is best.

Oh wait that's right the net guy said it would be alright //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

My bad. I'll just move along looks like everything is alright in here.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
as well as about 90% of them people that have car audio and are only running one fuse, but again, its his preference and i could see where you would be coming from.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.