My install's coming along nicely

Must be the new thing nowadays...remove windshield to install some speakers.
****...should have done the same when I relplaced my dash 4x6's...
Found a good way around removing my windshield! Read the thread.

John Kuthe...

Why would you want any driver off axis unless your having refraction problems?
Smoother response curve. Natural tweeter roll off. And that's 90 degree which helps build a wide and deep stage. Pointed straight at you will put one directly in the middle of the dispersion and one right at the edge. When they start getting into beaming the passenger side will move the image

I will ask the custom A-pillar maker if they can be vented for cooling for the 5.25", thanks!
And I'm not really getting your aiming suggestion, can you make it clearer for me please? Aiming is a built-in for a custom pod and I'd like to get it right. EDIT: Oh I GOT IT!! Slightly elevated from 90 degrees vertically and aim the at the center of the vehicle, I've got it! Thanks!

John Kuthe...
Yeah you got the aiming part down. Now the venting part, it's not for cooling. Just like the boom mats, the drivers need airspace. You have to look at how the back wave will act. Most A pillars already have enough space if the have the bottom opening go into the dash.

Smoother response curve. Natural tweeter roll off. And that's 90 degree which helps build a wide and deep stage. Pointed straight at you will put one directly in the middle of the dispersion and one right at the edge. When they start getting into beaming the passenger side will move the image
Is that with every driver? I know some drivers i actually perfer on axis and others are to forward.. Some blend nicely off axis some dont.. I never suggest it untill i hear or plot it.. After about 2500 it should fall off fast. Id imagine if you can cross them low enough id imagine it will work good..

Because I have 4 Alpine SWR-69 6x9s and two PHD 5.25" round drivers. I'm sure there are better but this is what I have. And an Alpine SWR-t12 subwoofer. The Alpine 6x9s sound damned d=good, as did the Alpine SWR-50 5.25" coaxials I had in there at first. But we removed them so all I'm running right now are the 6x9s, off the HU.
John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
You are going to have trouble with your soundstage

Is that with every driver? I know some drivers i actually perfer on axis and others are to forward.. Some blend nicely off axis some dont.. I never suggest it untill i hear or plot it.. After about 2500 it should fall off fast. Id imagine if you can cross them low enough id imagine it will work good..
Ideally you want the direction freq speakers pointed to the center. Unless it's a center seat car. A lot of the raw drivers want to be on axis but that doesn't help us since we don't sit in the middle of the car.

Ideally you want the direction freq speakers pointed to the center. Unless it's a center seat car. A lot of the raw drivers want to be on axis but that doesn't help us since we don't sit in the middle of the car.
Im working on these mids. Im courious to see how they respond.. I need to finish installing them. They have a pretty low qes but thats ok ill make the shorting ring thicker.. Im thinking im gonna do them off axis. They play very high on axis..

Yeah you got the aiming part down. Now the venting part, it's not for cooling. Just like the boom mats, the drivers need airspace. You have to look at how the back wave will act. Most A pillars already have enough space if the have the bottom opening go into the dash.
Don't know if we'll keep the boom mats! Guess I could ask them. The PHDs are in their Boom Mats with the backs cut off mounted in the 3/4" custom speaker rings installer guy cut for them. Theoretically the speaker pod fabricator could use the existing birch plywood speaker rings. I will ask them. They are good speaker rings.

And as for the vents, the metal under the plastic A-pillar covers has several slots in it for clips I think so it's not like back there is airtight or anything. May be OK with no vents. I'll ask.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from