My install's coming along nicely

If he was a real installer, he'd be making them himself...
Yeah, I wish my installer guy did a lot more skills, like fiberglass fabrication, etc. But he has a somewhat limited comfortability area. But what he's comfortable doing he does pretty well!

John Kuthe...

john. where are the speakers going to be mounted?
Custom A-pillar mounts for 5.25" PHD drivers and their tweeter. Much better than pointed up into the windshield! Aimed more at my head where my ears are! COOL!!

John Kuthe...

Good.. you should have gotten the larger drivers.. Maybe in the future you can get a decated midbass.

The excutsion required for a 5.25 to play without distortion down to 60 hz is just not ideal in most drivers..

Yeah, I wish my installer guy did a lot more skills, like fiberglass fabrication, etc. But he has a somewhat limited comfortability area. But what he's comfortable doing he does pretty well!
John Kuthe...
Its not that hard, I just made a set for my truck and door speaker pods and it was my first time and they came out really well. You should give it a try.

Its not that hard, I just made a set for my truck and door speaker pods and it was my first time and they came out really well. You should give it a try.
I know, I've done fiberglass work in my past. I'm just tired of learning and doing everything myself and I've discovered the joy of paying professionals to do it FOR me!!

And I'm gonna call my local St Louis shop tomorrow and ask them if they make custom fiberglass A-pillar speaker pods like my installer guy told me. And if so I'm getting some made! I have the money.

John Kuthe...

Good.. you should have gotten the larger drivers.. Maybe in the future you can get a decated midbass.The excutsion required for a 5.25 to play without distortion down to 60 hz is just not ideal in most drivers..
I'm gonna bandlimit my PHDs for a lot higher than 60Hz! The Alpine 6x9's on the doors can handle mid/low bass, and the 12" subwoofer handles everything the 6x9's can't!

And no, I think the 5.25" PHDs are all I want massively attached to my A-pillars! In fact I thought of that, I need to ask the shop if they attach the A-pillars back in with anything better than the paltry plastic clips. Those neodymium magnets are kinda heavy!

John Kuthe...

You are correct.
There are several, encompassing every connection between the battery and alternator, and bigger better batteries and high output alternator, everything! Redo the entire basic electrical system in the vehicle a lot better than the car's maker made it.

John Kuthe...

Unless you have a way to vent the 5.25s don't put them on the pillar. And you don't want them pointed at your face. About a 90 degree angle pointed at the center of the car with a slight upward tilt.

Unless you have a way to vent the 5.25s don't put them on the pillar. And you don't want them pointed at your face. About a 90 degree angle pointed at the center of the car with a slight upward tilt.
I will ask the custom A-pillar maker if they can be vented for cooling for the 5.25", thanks!

And I'm not really getting your aiming suggestion, can you make it clearer for me please? Aiming is a built-in for a custom pod and I'd like to get it right. EDIT: Oh I GOT IT!! Slightly elevated from 90 degrees vertically and aim the at the center of the vehicle, I've got it! Thanks!

John Kuthe...

So he plans to not only remove the windshield to install them now, but remove it again later to dig them out and build something else in their place.
Just went beyond spectrum and grew an extra copy of 21st chromosome.
Must be the new thing nowadays...remove windshield to install some speakers.

****...should have done the same when I relplaced my dash 4x6's...

I'm gonna bandlimit my PHDs for a lot higher than 60Hz! The Alpine 6x9's on the doors can handle mid/low bass, and the 12" subwoofer handles everything the 6x9's can't!
And no, I think the 5.25" PHDs are all I want massively attached to my A-pillars! In fact I thought of that, I need to ask the shop if they attach the A-pillars back in with anything better than the paltry plastic clips. Those neodymium magnets are kinda heavy!

John Kuthe...
Why on earth are you using 6x9s and 5.25s?

Why would you want any driver off axis unless your having refraction problems?

Must be the new thing nowadays...remove windshield to install some speakers.
****...should have done the same when I relplaced my dash 4x6's...
I didnt remove my windshield but close to it lol New amp has busted it loose and water just pours in now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Calling tomorrow to get a price on a new one.

Why on earth are you using 6x9s and 5.25s?
Because I have 4 Alpine SWR-69 6x9s and two PHD 5.25" round drivers. I'm sure there are better but this is what I have. And an Alpine SWR-t12 subwoofer. The Alpine 6x9s sound damned d=good, as did the Alpine SWR-50 5.25" coaxials I had in there at first. But we removed them so all I'm running right now are the 6x9s, off the HU.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from