Looking for Speaker advice.

Participant count
  • Participant list

shrapnel
10+ year member

OK, I'm looking to upgrade speakers, get rid of the OLD Sony Xplodes and possible factory in-door. (I have Pioneer TS-A698's just sitting in the openings of the rear deck for improvement from the Xplodes that were there.) The biggest aggravation I've had so far in my own research has been a few so-called "reviews" posted up on various places on the net and no reviews at all available for some of these speakers. They weren't reviews, just a regurgitation of the manufacturer's promo & specifications. What a PITA.

First, the specs:

• '02 Kia Spectra Sedan (it gets me around)
  • Kenwood KDC-X994 H.U.
  • Front doors: 6-3/4", 2.8" deep max?
  • Rear Deck: 6"x8", 6" deep max.

Additional info:

• Budget: up to $75/pair MAXimum ($150 total), prefer closer to $50/pr. (or less)
  • Rear Deck: I have to stick with 6"x8"s unless I really can get better bass performance using an adapter for round speakers.
  • Good bass repro on their own, as I don't wish to add subs and I don't need to shake the car apart.
  • Will be driven from the HU, so no separate amps.
  • Not interested in components, subs, or amps at this time, especially since I'm not interested in reproducing the experience of concert front row in front of the speakers sound levels.
  • Music preferences include: Rock (classic, southern, alternative, etc), Metal (mostly old-school but some modern), and Oldies (wife). Rap/hip-hop maybe on occasion. Loud is good, but not like standing in front of the speakers at a concert.
  • According to Crutchfield, the doors have an unusual bolt pattern.
  • Also according to Crutchfied, the diameter of the magnet is limited to 2.883" in the rear deck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif

I'm not sure I put that much stock in the magnet size thing, and I am willing to make extra holes in the speaker mounting area if need be for the doors . I also admit this is a small budget, but via the Internet it isn't impossible.

Looking at:

• Clarion (Front: SRQ1631R; Back: SRQ6831C)
  • Hifonics Zeus series (Front: ZXi-63; Back: ZXi-683)
  • Kenwood (Front: KFC-C1739IE or KFC-1682IE; Back: KFC-C6882IE)
  • Rockford Fosgate Prime series (Front: R1653; Back: R1682 or T1682C)
  • Other options (brand, model) within my budget and preferences that may be a better choice?

EDIT: removed references for 6"x9" speakers (and added one more reference for a 6"x8") as they will not fit without metal-work and made emphasis on some qualifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Almani PCS-69 speakers look like they are what I'm looking for (good solid bass, and overall good sound,) but I wasn't thinking component speakers for anything, and was just going to power the speakers with my HU. I don't want to invest too much into this car, but do value quality and sound. (No, I can't hear a difference between teflon coated silver wire and plain old PVC coated copper)

Champagne tastes on a beer budget. and the least amount of fuss with it.

EDIT: I do have myself some bad news, unless I force top mount (Forcing the openings larger in the process, not something I want to do) I can't use the 6x9 speakers at all. The springs for the trunk lid are in the way for bottom mounting the 6"x9" speakers using the adapters, and the speakers won't fit them for top mounting either. Sadly I will have to stick with 6"x8" speakers in this install as I don't want to remove that much metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
alot of people get mdf adapter rings - that general add about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so the speaker sits a little higher up.

most good speakers have deeper mounting for the magnets - so you need to add something like this possibly.

6x9" 3/4 MDF Speaker Rings Pair Fiberglass NEW - eBay (item 150361343162 end time Sep-17-10 11:31:07 PDT)

or

6 x 9 SPEAKER ADAPTER INTO 5x7 or 6x8 OPENING :: *SPEAKER ADAPTERS (NON SPACERS) [NON CUSTOM] :: SPEAKER ADAPTERS :: Dash Kits Harnesses :: AUTOTOYS

alot of people get mdf adapter rings - that general add about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so the speaker sits a little higher up.most good speakers have deeper mounting for the magnets - so you need to add something like this possibly.

6x9" 3/4 MDF Speaker Rings Pair Fiberglass NEW - eBay (item 150361343162 end time Sep-17-10 11:31:07 PDT)

or

6 x 9 SPEAKER ADAPTER INTO 5x7 or 6x8 OPENING*::**SPEAKER ADAPTERS (NON SPACERS) [NON CUSTOM]*::*SPEAKER ADAPTERS*::*Dash Kits Harnesses*::*AUTOTOYS
I don't know much about the MDF adapter rings, but those being offered by AutoToys (Metro 82-4200) are the adapters I have, and they only work for bottom mount. They also practically kiss the metal springs leaving no room for the speaker.

I'll see what I can find out from those guys on eBay, but until then, I'd like to hear 6"x8" speaker options.

i vote to just get the same 6.5" speakers front and rear. use/make/buy an adapter to mount the rear speakers in the opening - if you make it you can shift the speaker to clear the springs.

difference in bass output between 6.5" and 6x8 in your budget will be minimal, if at all. might as well get four equal speakers.

note on MDF - it cannot get wet, ever. you need to coat it in deadener or resin to waterproof it if you use it in doors.

use weatherstripping foam around each speaker to seal it up to both the metal and to the door panel. closed cell on the back if exposed to moisture. open cell on the front is ok to seal to the factory grill. those seals are crucial if you want midbass response. you want an airtight seal between the front of the cone and the rear of the cone - along the door/rear deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.