JL audio w7 v.s. ______

ppl here like them A series from eD....most of us are fans, some are disbelievers, but can't we all get along?

But these guys got a point, engineering counts, but it's real life spl and sq that count the most. On paper it could be "better" but in real life it could sound craptactular if not done right(referring to the A and W7 and the Adire...)

Last note....why do you call it a $250 sub? It sells that cheap because they sell factory direct to internet users...MSRP is like $600-$700...

But still a bargain.

Stephen, I apologize (even though my word doesn't mean much) Because the people on this forum are EXTREMELY biased in the favor of eD and people wont accept an answer that goes against their Bias.

Yes. They make good subs.

Yes. I own one.

Yes. They are a good value.

But no; they are not the best subs on the market.

Maybe for the money they are; but overall they are not the BEST.

(im gonna get flamed for this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)

im gonna get flamed for this
I don't see why you would? You stated what you believe and since you own the particular product in question who's to go against your word?

I do see a bias though. I haven't posted much but I read everyday and over and over I hear about the A series. From the reviews it sounds like a solid driver but, its not like its god's gift to man! It all comes down to preference. I'm sure you could make the A sound incredible in the right enclosure, You could also make it put up some good numbers in the right enclosure. On paper though... if you were going more for spl the power handling of both the adire and jl far exceed the A (according to the manufactures and documented testing IE the w7 taking I believe it was 32k).

IMO no driver will ever be the best because there is always room for improvment

That being said I would still take any of the drivers above, Just take into account what type of power you will supply and how big of an enclosure you want.

I don't think there are any biased opinions going on here, the only reason we are defending the A series is because there is someone on here trying to compare something he has never heard.

If he came to the conclusion through actually listening to the sub then I'm sure that more people here would respect his decision, but most people are going to respect someones opinion when they've had no experience with the product.

Originally posted by Gauntlet You haven't heard the sub! AHHHHH!!!!!! You can babble on about design all you want, but you can't reach a legitimate conclusion without actually hearing the product.
I would agree with you if what I was saying is that it sounds like crap. But that's not what I am saying. It is a fact that the design of the sub will inherantly have more distortion than the Brahma or W7. This is true whether I have listened to it or not.

I have never driven a Dodge Viper either. But I can safely say that it will have a higher top speed than my car due to it's physical design.

Originally posted by namster44 But these guys got a point, engineering counts, but it's real life spl and sq that count the most. On paper it could be "better" but in real life it could sound craptactular if not done right(referring to the A and W7 and the Adire...)

I agree, sort of. But none of the speakers being talked about are poorly engineered.

Originally posted by namster44 Last note....why do you call it a $250 sub? It sells that cheap because they sell factory direct to internet users...MSRP is like $600-$700...

But still a bargain.
Yeah, but how many of them have ever been sold for that price? I call it what the company sells it for. That's what the customer pays for it. I just don't see the point of the "$600 -700 MSRP".

Originally posted by SasquatchBump Stephen, I apologize (even though my word doesn't mean much) Because the people on this forum are EXTREMELY biased in the favor of eD and people wont accept an answer that goes against their Bias.

Yes. They make good subs.

Yes. I own one.

Yes. They are a good value.

But no; they are not the best subs on the market.

Maybe for the money they are; but overall they are not the BEST.

(im gonna get flamed for this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)
Thanks alot. I appreciate it.

Out of curriousity, do you agree with my answer to the original question of this thread?

Originally posted by Aurorav8 I don't think there are any biased opinions going on here, the only reason we are defending the A series is because there is someone on here trying to compare something he has never heard.

If he came to the conclusion through actually listening to the sub then I'm sure that more people here would respect his decision, but most people are going to respect someones opinion when they've had no experience with the product.
I disagree. I see a huge bias for this sub on this forum. It is very evident on how worked up people here get over it.

And all the speaker engineering knowlege I have been fortunate to learn about shows me what to expect from the A. Since I don't have access to the sub to test for myself, I asked the opinion of a very trusted individual who has heard all three. His experience with the three supports my conclusions.

Originally posted by Steven Kephart I disagree. I see a huge bias for this sub on this forum. It is very evident on how worked up people here get over it.

And all the speaker engineering knowlege I have been fortunate to learn about shows me what to expect from the A. Since I don't have access to the sub to test for myself, I asked the opinion of a very trusted individual who has heard all three. His experience with the three supports my conclusions.
No matter what forum you go on you will see a biased towards a certain company or particular woofer...

Look at Termpro, you don't see a thread go by withought someone raving about the Inhuman...

This forum has become bigger on eD in the last few months...but people still talk about the Brahma and XXX along with the new A series...

If someone came here and said an Inhuman is of better quality than an XXX, they would get eaten up...that's how this forum is...

Now, back to the A...if you had personally tested the A against the W7 and Brahma and came to the conclusion that it was inferior, ok, thats fine- not everyone is going to take a liking to the A- that's just how life works...

Everyone's ears are different- you have to take others' opinions with a grain of salt- what may sound crisp and accurate to you may sound muddy and off to me...

That's what ticked me off...this same thing happened 2 weeks or so ago...and don't even say you weren't downplaying the A then- because you know you were.

Steven, I suggest you go out and listen to the A- draw your own conclusions on it.

Originally posted by snova031 No matter what forum you go on you will see a biased towards a certain company or particular woofer...

Look at Termpro, you don't see a thread go by withought someone raving about the Inhuman...

This forum has become bigger on eD in the last few months...but people still talk about the Brahma and XXX along with the new A series...

If someone came here and said an Inhuman is of better quality than an XXX, they would get eaten up...that's how this forum is...
Yeah. And that really isn't a bad thing as long as the driver they are bias about is a good one. In the case of this forum, it is, so no worries. But where does that personal bias end? I suppose you could say that I have a personal bias toward Adire. But I am fully willing to accept that the W7 could be better than the Brahma. I haven't heard it, but the information I have shows that it very well could be.

Originally posted by snova031 Now, back to the A...if you had personally tested the A against the W7 and Brahma and came to the conclusion that it was inferior, ok, thats fine- not everyone is going to take a liking to the A- that's just how life works...

Everyone's ears are different- you have to take others' opinions with a grain of salt- what may sound crisp and accurate to you may sound muddy and off to me...
I totally agree. I have seen several posts on several forums where people have said they didn't like the sound of the Brahma and W7. I have seen others say that they liked the sound of the DD sub better. As David Hyre once said, "some people might prefer distortion in their bass". But I feel there is subjective SQ and objective SQ. Subjective SQ is each individual's personal preference. Objective SQ is what engineers strive toward. It is the closest reproduction of the source material without anything added or taken away. The goal would be perfectly flat frequency response with no added distortion. Since that was the design goal for the W7, and the original poster wanted to know which sub compared closest, I posted the sub that shares the same goal and came closest.

Originally posted by snova031 That's what ticked me off...this same thing happened 2 weeks or so ago...and don't even say you weren't downplaying the A then- because you know you were.
My position was the same there as it is in this thread.

Originally posted by snova031 Steven, I suggest you go out and listen to the A- draw your own conclusions on it.
I really wish I could take your advise. But unfortunately no one around me has one. And since I am very content with the sub I have now, I probably won't be in the market for one for myself.

It wasn't too long ago that this board was all about the Brahma. But Adire Audio dropped the ball on that one. The tinsel lead slap problems as well as the backorders just turned a lot of people off.

The A is not the god of all subs, I'm sure. But for the most part it is Stephen that is being jumped on here, its not just a bias for the A. We've had people tell us that the A is on the same level as the W7 and Brahma, while Stephen insists that his sources tell him its a level below. So which is it? People keep repeating that the XXX is made for SPL, while people who actually own the sub say //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif (cause they insist on how good it sounds).

Honestly, I believe some people here only want to hear one thing; that the A is on par with the big boys. It doesn't have to completely match them, but just be right there. It would be nice to know that you don't have to spend $450-700 for a really nice sub. But if that's not the case, than that's just not the case. Just wish some people would hear or test it in person before passing judgement either way. Design only means so much. If someone BLOWS you out at a comp it's kind of hard to take solice in the fact that your equipment was "designed" better than his.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I personally don't think it has anything to do with being biased....if you're going to compare 2 products, you need to have sufficient experience with both products in order to reach a legitimate conclusion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.