JL audio w7 v.s. ______

Originally posted by mgaidica so what are the flaws in the brahma design, eD A design? im just interested...
don't have experience with them yet........

i personally don't like the cardboard though if that's what that stuff is.....

There are a couple other slight flaws with the Brahma, if you want to call it that. For one, some like the looks of the other subs more. They definitely do have more money thrown into asthetics. Another is poor user error. Adire had a lot of problems with people blowing the subs because they didn't know what they were doing. And finally it has mechanical noises at it's peaks. The W7 has more possible thow beyond linearity due to the custom parts. But the Brahma's Xmax and Xmech are very close. So when pushed hard, the sub will tell you. Of course you are hurting your hearing at those levels.

Some fixed issues is the obvious tinsel lead slap. Another was people breaking the terminals. They wold drop the weight of the sub on the terminals and crack them, so Adire changed their terminals. And finally, they increased the thickness of the tinsel leads to prevent them from breaking. One problem with having a flat BL curve is that you have your full motor force pushing on the cone at high excursions. With a parabolic curve the motor force is down quite a ways. So there is less stress on the tinsel leads.

Originally posted by Steven Kephart There are a couple other slight flaws with the Brahma, if you want to call it that. For one, some like the looks of the other subs more. They definitely do have more money thrown into asthetics. Another is poor user error. Adire had a lot of problems with people blowing the subs because they didn't know what they were doing. And finally it has mechanical noises at it's peaks. The W7 has more possible thow beyond linearity due to the custom parts. But the Brahma's Xmax and Xmech are very close. So when pushed hard, the sub will tell you. Of course you are hurting your hearing at those levels.

Some fixed issues is the obvious tinsel lead slap. Another was people breaking the terminals. They wold drop the weight of the sub on the terminals and crack them, so Adire changed their terminals. And finally, they increased the thickness of the tinsel leads to prevent them from breaking. One problem with having a flat BL curve is that you have your full motor force pushing on the cone at high excursions. With a parabolic curve the motor force is down quite a ways. So there is less stress on the tinsel leads.
Is the tinsel lead problem actually fixed? I believe last time Adire said they fixed the problem but it still existed.

Originally posted by limitkid7 well they might have tested them both, but like i said overtime w/them the surround does come apart...... ends up goin around the whole dang gon cone too....
I know I have had cheap speakers with foam surrounds falling apart. But from what I understand, the treatments used on the higher end products should allow the foam to last for quite some time. As Dan mentioned to me, foam will last 5 years as compared to rubbers 7. But I guess foam does have some advantages over rubber. So material choice is all in the engineering. And as Dan says, speaker engineering is making the best compromises.

Out of curiosity, have you actually heard of people having the foam surround on the W7 fall apart? Or is it just your experience with cheaper foam like mine?

Originally posted by Aurorav8 Is the tinsel lead problem actually fixed? I believe last time Adire said they fixed the problem but it still existed.
I have the latest version of the Brahma in my car right now. It sits under my dash inverse mounted. So if anyone would notice tinsel slap, it would be me with my install. There is absolutely no slap, I assure you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Originally posted by Steven Kephart I have the latest version of the Brahma in my car right now. It sits under my dash inverse mounted. So if anyone would notice tinsel slap, it would be me with my install. There is absolutely no slap, I assure you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
You have the 10", it's public knowledge the issue resided primarily with the 12" only.

I have yet to have a single driver of any size report any slap at all.

Originally posted by snova031 It's a $300 sub...how do you know what it will do next to a Brahma or a W7?

If you have sat down, tested each woofer in multiple enclosures, vehicles, power, etc., and came to the conclusion that the A is inferior to the Brahma and W7, ok, that's good, but you haven't.
Of course he hasn't...

I had a 7 time world finalist judge do SQ judging in my car just a few days ago - and my scores were across the board as perfect as one can get...

Gotta love that parabolic bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.