Jeep Grand Cherokee Head Unit Ground

Participant count
  • Participant list
My 01 had one with like the clip thing. And IIRC my 97 had one too? I know I didnt need to run it anywhere special.
Yup. I take back my last post. I have something else grounded there. Dammit, now I have to think of what it is. Anyway, I have a VIC which had the time on it controlled by the factory radio. There was a clip that was attached to the back of my factory radio. It had 2 wires. I'm pretty sure one of them was to send a signal for the clock on the VIC and the other was to ground the radio. I clipped the connector off of that and grounded it to the factory ground. Now, WTF did I ground in the fuse box? Maybe I'm just imagining grounding something in there...

I have a '00 Grand Cherokee. I'm getting a receiver that you can add GPS to. The GPS unit has a separate ground, and then I have a E-Brake bypass that also has a ground wire. Could I tie all of them together into that ground wire or should I try to find someplace else for those? Thanks for your help.

You can definitely tie them all together, but I'd probably find another spot other than the factory ground for them if you do that. The factory ground is a rather small ground that's probably tied in somewhere with a bunch of other grounds. Come to think of it, it's probably why I had alternator whine and why my headlights used to introduce noise into my system until I got my ground loop isolator. Luckily, I didn't lose any audible sound quality by adding it.

i ended up going underneath the drivers dash...couldnt find anything good in there
Do you remember where under the dash you connected it? I have a Kenwood amp that is grounded under the back seat, if I ran a ground wire from there to behind my head unit would that work? Some of the posts I've read say you shouldn't have a long ground wire.

A long ground wire can introduce some hiss or noise into your system. If you run a long ground wire and don't hear any noise, I'd say you're fine. If you run a long wire and get some noise, shorten it up a little and that should help. I'd recommend trying to find somewhere in the dash. I know the dash on my 97 is fairly easy to disassemble. I'd imagine yours should be as well.

Do you remember where under the dash you connected it? I have a Kenwood amp that is grounded under the back seat, if I ran a ground wire from there to behind my head unit would that work? Some of the posts I've read say you shouldn't have a long ground wire.
They dont have to be grounded together. I just grounded it on the drivers side, to one of the steering column nuts/stud i think.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.