A Question Regarding My Jeep That Doesn’t Use a Traditional Alternator

Participant count
  • Participant list

JasoninDLH

Jason Was Here
MN
It’s a 2021 with the 3.6L eTorque engine that uses a Motor Generator Unit (MGU for short) in lieu of a traditional alternator.

It has the factory upgrade Alpine Audio system that includes an amp powering the speakers and a 10” 200 Watt sub. I’m in process of installing one more 10” 300 Watt sub It might be kind of neat to add one more 15” sub down the road. I will be adding a 1.5 F Capacitor to the system now.

I’m getting kind of worried about this MGU thing that I don’t understand at all with all this audio stuff and a bunch of off-road lights that I keep on while off-roading (not to mention a power hungry winch if I get stuck).

Does any of this make sense to you and if I’ll be good to run all of this extra stuff (I’m assuming there is no upgrade to this MGU, although there is a great dual battery kit that’s easy to install)…

5B885848-B596-4663-A2A8-50196949187F.jpeg

I
I’m getting kind of worried about this MGU thing that I don’t understand at all with all this audio stuff and a bunch of off-road lights that I keep on while off-roading (not to mention a power hungry winch if I get stuck).
I do not think there will be an issue. It will still get it's top off charge regardless of what load you have on it.

It’s a 2021 with the 3.6L eTorque engine that uses a Motor Generator Unit (MGU for short) in lieu of a traditional alternator.

It has the factory upgrade Alpine Audio system that includes an amp powering the speakers and a 10” 200 Watt sub. I’m in process of installing one more 10” 300 Watt sub It might be kind of neat to add one more 15” sub down the road. I will be adding a 1.5 F Capacitor to the system now.

Does any of this make sense to you and if I’ll be good to run all of this extra stuff (I’m assuming there is no upgrade to this MGU, although there is a great dual battery kit that’s easy to install)…

View attachment 47094

Sounds like there is 3kw available for accessories. I'd contact a tech at Jeep and confirm. Plus, I don't know if that DC-to-DC converter can handle 3kw continuous.

Jeep forums have some information on these new setups. I would check there.

Used to go there all the time when I had my Grand Cherokee got a lot of good information from that place. Most of the people there are helpful but like any forum you have the occasional a$$hole now & then.

Used to go there all the time when I had my Grand Cherokee got a lot of good information from that place. Most of the people there are helpful but like any forum you have the occasional a$$hole now & then.
Thankfully it’s super easy to ignore arses on these forum things.

Yeah, I’ve found the Jeep forums extremely helpful and thankfully haven’t run into any arses.

Get rid of that 1.5 Farad cap. If you are set on a capacitor buy a hybrid like this
Oh man…that looks wayyyy better. I could mount that wayyyy easier as well. AND it’s a distribution block as well?

On my setup (still in process) I have my power wire going to a distribution block which splits to my amp and my capacitor. With the product you mentioned, I would put it where my distribution block is and simply connect my amp to it?

Oh man…that looks wayyyy better. I could mount that wayyyy easier as well. AND it’s a distribution block as well?

On my setup (still in process) I have my power wire going to a distribution block which splits to my amp and my capacitor. With the product you mentioned, I would put it where my distribution block is and simply connect my amp to it?
Thats what I usually use the hybrids for, a distribution block. Makes for a clean install. So yes, run power and ground to the Hybrid Capacitor and the power and ground from it to your amp

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...