Is my system wearing out?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasA&M
10+ year member

Howdy everyone -

I installed a decent sound system in my boat almost 8 years ago. In the last year or two, I have noticed that I have to turn the volume up higher to get the same level of sound (i.e., a volume level of 20 used to be way too loud, but now I have to turn it up to 20 or 22 to hear it when under way).

Is my system getting worn out? If so, is it all of it, or just some of it? I am planning on re-doing the system this winter, but want to save as much money as possible (don't have as much as I used to!). Could it be that just the speakers are wearing, and therefore not putting out as much volume as before? Or would it be both the speakers AND the amp?

For reference, this is what I have currently installed (keep in mind that this is all 8 years old) -

Infinity 5760a 6 channel amp (the two sub channels are bridged to run a single 10" sub)

4 Infinity Kappa marine speakers

10" Infinity sub

The second (smaller) amp you see is for a tower speaker setup from Infinity. I haven't noticed as much of a drop off from this part of the system compared to when it was new. This was added about 4 years ago, so it is 4 years newer than the house system.

Here are some pictures just for fun -

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

How are the batteries holding up? If they are starting on their downward spiral then that can cause the issues you are describing.

Could also be speakers failing as well, but I would check the batteries first and see how the system reacts if the batteries need to be replaced.

I would still have em tested if you can. If they were purchased in the 8 year plan they can indeed have some issues that can cause that.

If they do check out fine though, then speakers would be the next replacement idea.

I'll get them checked out. I should have mentioned that the batteries were new when I added the tower, so they are a bit less than 4 years old.

You could also be getting used to the sound. Listen to the radio at 20 for years and it stops hurting your ears. Then, you want to turn it to 22 to get that same level you used to out of 22. You'll eventually get to where you'll have to upgrade the entire system to get the same "to the ear" experience you used to. Our bodies are wonderful creations, they get acclimated to anything they are exposed to for a period of time.

Your options are to build bigger and continue to degrade your hearing, or take short breaks without it, or with it turned down so you get that same feel back at the old volume level.

You could also be getting used to the sound. Listen to the radio at 20 for years and it stops hurting your ears. Then, you want to turn it to 22 to get that same level you used to out of 22. You'll eventually get to where you'll have to upgrade the entire system to get the same "to the ear" experience you used to. Our bodies are wonderful creations, they get acclimated to anything they are exposed to for a period of time.

Your options are to build bigger and continue to degrade your hearing, or take short breaks without it, or with it turned down so you get that same feel back at the old volume level.

could it honestly be you have just gotten use to it? I use to think a ten on 400w was loud now two 12"s on 2000+rms isn't that loud but the look on my passengers face say's otherwise.

Damn you beat me to it!

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Damn you beat me to it!

Damn you beat me to it!
Got to be faster next time!

You enjoying those T1s? I'm sure you do get reactions out of people hearing it for the first time.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Damn you beat me to it!
Got to be faster next time!

You enjoying those T1s? I'm sure you do get reactions out of people hearing it for the first time.

There pretty loud not very low but they will get it, I miss my T2 15" though that thing cost me a windshield having a "oh you think your loud" moment at a red light. But have you noticed it's not just your hearing that get's use to the sound my nose doesn't ever tingle/itch but everyone(people with no bass) that rides with me rubs there face about once a minute.

There pretty loud not very low but they will get it, I miss my T2 15" though that thing cost me a windshield having a "oh you think your loud" moment at a red light. But have you noticed it's not just your hearing that get's use to the sound my nose doesn't ever tingle/itch but everyone(people with no bass) that rides with me rubs there face about once a minute.
I miss that, why I'm doubling power and moving to the TRFs. I love the nose itch and the back itch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...