Is my sub clipping??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Brean803

Montana
I wasn't sure wether to post this under "subwoofers" or "amplifiers", so i just went with The one i thought best. So, my question is exactly what the title implies. I have a kicker comp rt (10" dvc sub, 2 ohm voice coils rated at 600 watts rms and 1200 peak) i have my sub wired to 4 ohms and my amp is bridged to 2 ohms. the amp is a 4 channel kenwood rated at 125 watts/ channel. I have channels 1 and 2 bridged running to my sub, and channels 3 and 4 going to speakers. I have all the filters and everything set correctly, and my amp gain is at about 80%, the sub sounds really good at lower volumes, but it starts to distort way before i think it should when u turn up the volume. I was wondering if it's possible that i'm underpowering the sub, causing clipping? Any advice welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My sub is wired in series, but my amp is a 4 ohm amp. so i thought that if i bridged the 2 channels, it would cut that in half. Im new to this though, so i don't really know a whole lot about it.

My sub is wired in series, but my amp is a 4 ohm amp. so i thought that if i bridged the 2 channels, it would cut that in half. Im new to this though, so i don't really know a whole lot about it.
The channels split the load. Each channel sees 2 ohms. It's like how when you strap amps, each amp sees half the load. Kind of complicated to explain

If you bridge that amp, that sub is seeing way less than 50% of the power it can take. Just get a separate 500-600watt mono amp for that subwoofer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lebomb, thank you! That's kind of what i was looking for. And Adulbrich, i think it makes sense. Each channel is at 2 ohm, but together, they match the sub's 4 ohm impedence?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.