Is it possible to fry power wire?

Why would my car burn if I said I bought new 4 gauge power wire to replace the bad 12 gauge one? Why would I ask another question when I've asked 2 so far in this thread and pretty much been left to answer them both myself? But anyways here's a pic of one of the burned spots in the wire insulation since everyone wants to see it so bad.
f7454f79bcd372dcdaee

Ok found out today that I indeed can fry power wire as that's what I did, but got some 4 gauge and now everything is good. Now here's another question I have this amp Rockford Fosgate P4004 Punch series 4-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com which has a switch from 2 to 4 channels. Both channels have the little diagram showing how to bridge them, is it safe to bridge both the front speaker terminals to one sub and the rear speaker terminals to one sub and run in 4 channel mode? My speakers are 200 watt 4 ohm each.
you cant fry power wiure its metal its conductive

You simply pushed too much power through too small of a wire

best u can do is melt wire and start a fire

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Why would my car burn if I said I bought new 4 gauge power wire to replace the bad 12 gauge one? Why would I ask another question when I've asked 2 so far in this thread and pretty much been left to answer them both myself? But anyways here's a pic of one of the burned spots in the wire insulation since everyone wants to see it so bad.
f7454f79bcd372dcdaee
Because you clearly dont understand the concept of how electricty works

and in reality a bad install can lead to just that

a fire

When I was a kid I saw this knuckle head not put a fuse by the battery. Long story short he grounded out the power wire by the amp and had a nice burn mark running the length of the power wire on the carpet in his car.
????? i dont run fuses at all period as a whole lot of others dont either..... but i do have a voltmeter installed so i can see if there are any voltage spikes.... but i guess the difference is being smart when you dont run fuses.

you cant fry power wiure its metal its conductiveYou simply pushed too much power through too small of a wire

best u can do is melt wire and start a fire

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Because you clearly dont understand the concept of how electricty works

and in reality a bad install can lead to just that

a fire
Ok I used the wrong wording maybe? I knew the point I was trying to make. I drew too much power through the thin wire and it started to melt and left burn marks on the insulation. The main question that I was trying to get answered was basically what are the odds that I basically pulled enough current through my wire to cause it not to receive enough current on the other end to power anything vs me causing my amp to malfunction. In a way I guess that I wanted someone to let me know that my amp would probably be ok since I didn't know when I would get a chance to find out for myself.

I do understand how electricity works and that it could start a fire. I simply asked why would I record my car to see if it caught on fire when I clearly stated that I had already replaced the wire with new wire better suited for what I would be using it for. I'm guessing everyone just skims through posts and jumps to conclusions without first understanding exactly what the person is saying.

Can you please tell me the upside of not running a fuse? Seems foolish not to have the protection. If your answer is to let more current through, then your fuse is sized wrong.

In fact, each opinion about the power wire is right but not foregoing the use of fuses. The fuses are not to sell you crap you don't need (like capacitors). They serve 2 very valuable functions.

Take my case in point. My wife's car is a 2004, 645ci convertible, BMW with the top-hi/fi and Logic7. There is a design defect with the drains for the convertible top, and it caused rain water to hit the Logic7 amp. Did not fry the amp, but it did fry several speakers until I found the problem.

Rather than go with the stock speakers that were as!#nine expensive, I opted for aftermarket. Skipping the story of the nightmare of installing aftermarket amps downstream of the Logic7, I upgraded the big three. The audio system was only one reason. This car has another problem that causes premature alternator death. It already has a HO alternator, but the battery is in the trunk, and BMW only used an ~4 gauge wire to run 15 or so feet of power wire from the engine compartment to the trunk. Upgrading to 1/0 has fixed this problem. By the way, don't call a gasoline powered power plant a motor. The only power plant that is a motor is one that runs on electricity. Everything else is an engine. If a mechanic or installer calls a non-electrical a motor, run away.

Anyway, the car has a three way junction connecting the alternator, starter and power running to the battery. Although I fused the 1/0 in the trunk, I did not fuse it in the engine compartment. I used a standard three way car audio distribution block by a well known manufacturer to join the three wires under the hood. The wire running to the trunk sat on one of the 1/2 inch or so bracing **** sticking up from the strut assembly. Over 6 months, it wore a hole through the shrink wrap at the junction. Eventually, the car's warning and various other gauges went nuckinfuts and killed the engine. After AAA towed it home, I identified that the short melted the plastic cover on the distribution block and burned the power wires in all three directions. Yes, we were lucky the car did not burn. I could be wrong, but I believe why the 200 amp fuse in the trunk did not blow is because the short draws constant voltage.

Anyway, I redesigned the distribution block using a home electrical junc. box that will not allow the metal, even if the shrink wrap develops a hole, to touch bare metal, and I installed a fuse at this location.

Anyone that does not use a fuse on each power line, including to the amp(s), is asking for trouble. If you develop a short of any kind, it can fry various components in your system and start a fire. A well known car audio dealership here in Houston was sued because the installer did not properly fuse and install the power line, and the customer's car burned to the ground, along with his garage and home. Oooops. Wonder if the installer got fired?

In my case, the fuse did not blow, but the short had, by some miracle, not sparked a fire. Why tempt fate. Think safety first.

ANYTHING that's connected to a positive @ the batt(s) should always, always, and I will say this again for the OP - ALWAYS be fused close to the battery in accordance with what your wire can SAFELY carry through it at your given gauge and length to PREVENT just this from ever happening to begin with !!! Even if your high current johnny bad@ss amp doesn't have on board fusing, these above mentioned fuses are NOT for the amp, A 2nd fuse should be placed as close to the amp as possible in accordance with the amplifier's amperage draw if needed...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.