Help Wiring Component Speakers to Their Own Individual Channel (If Possible)

Ballin'OnABudget

CarAudio.com Newbie
FL
I have a very small car that DOES NOT utilize rear speakers. I have an aftermarket head unit that produces 15w X 4 rms and a set of component speakers that came with crossovers that are 15w rms per speaker. My question is, can I scrap the crossovers and just wire my component speakers individually to their own channel on the head unit using bass blockers/inline filters or will this not work correctly? I currently have them wired using the crossovers going to 2 channels on my head unit like people would normally do that don't have an amp, but it drives me crazy having 2 unused channels on my head unit which could be supplying all of my speakers with the ideal wattage. My head unit is capable of supporting 1 amp, but it is already being used with a 1 channel amp that is feeding a subwoofer. Any help on how I can get the most wattage out of the head unit going to the set of components would be greatly appreciated. Thx

I have a very small car that DOES NOT utilize rear speakers. I have an aftermarket head unit that produces 15w X 4 rms and a set of component speakers that came with crossovers that are 15w rms per speaker. My question is, can I scrap the crossovers and just wire my component speakers individually to their own channel on the head unit using bass blockers/inline filters or will this not work correctly? I currently have them wired using the crossovers going to 2 channels on my head unit like people would normally do that don't have an amp, but it drives me crazy having 2 unused channels on my head unit which could be supplying all of my speakers with the ideal wattage. My head unit is capable of supporting 1 amp, but it is already being used with a 1 channel amp that is feeding a subwoofer. Any help on how I can get the most wattage out of the head unit going to the set of components would be greatly appreciated. Thx
You won't really gain any wattage by using all 4 channels.

You won't really gain any wattage by using all 4 channels.
So it won't be twice as loud or at least noticeably louder having twice the amount of watts going to each speaker? Can it at least be done successfully or is trying to work around using the supplied crossovers and using inline filters only asking for trouble?

So it won't be twice as loud or at least noticeably louder having twice the amount of watts going to each speaker? Can it at least be done successfully or is trying to work around using the supplied crossovers and using inline filters only asking for trouble?
It won't get louder because you won't realize additional power/watts.

It won't get louder because you won't realize additional power/watts.
I'm experiencing clipping at loud volumes which is mainly what I was trying to fix and I read that supplying the preferred wattage would help eliminate this. Do you know if adding bass blockers to my current setup will at least reduce/eliminate clipping? Thx for your responses btw.

The clipping is from the signal being sent poorly. Usually it's only noticeable when the gain is set too high, and the power is amplified. Based on you saying you have this on loud volumes, your head unit only has 1 rca preout, only 15w per channel, and your 30w components, MY GUESS is it's a cheap head unit (which one is it?). Your head unit can cause clipping all on its own, at higher volume. Even decent head units can cause clipping at or before their full volume output.

If anything I'd say what about a new head unit that is 40w per channel, and just leave your components as is?

Have you checked the manual to see if you can bridge the channels?

Last edited:
I'm experiencing clipping at loud volumes which is mainly what I was trying to fix and I read that supplying the preferred wattage would help eliminate this. Do you know if adding bass blockers to my current setup will at least reduce/eliminate clipping? Thx for your responses btw.
You can stop clipping by not turning up volume past where the HU starts to clip.

Yeah, it's a chinese head unit (P.L.Z MP-800) I got on sale for $70 marked down from $100 a couple of years ago. I didn't really want to buy a new head unit just yet, but I've been thinking the same thing as of late because I'm very limited as to what I can do with it. My first car stereo purchase was some of the lowest wattage components I could find (Cerwin Vega XED650C) thinking that they would pair nicely with the cheaper head units without needing an amp, but I was wrong. Oh well, you live and learn. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the sound of my system as a whole, but I would like to clear up the components from clipping/distorting when playing at high volumes without making any major changes if I could.

I've got a Skar EVL 6.5" sub in a sealed box under the dash with a cheap Blaupunkt ~160w rms amp pushing it and that thing absolutely bumps for a 6.5". I didn't even know that a 6.5" sub could hit and sound that good. I guess the problem is, I'm now chasing that bass because I don't want to turn it down, I want to turn it up to hear that bass haha. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a better head unit like you said with more watts per channel is all there is to it. I started off saying that I was going to buy nothing but new components for the car, now look where I'm at. I went from spending $40, to spending $440, to probably spending even more than that now because I don't know how to say no. I knew I was going to do this too, smh.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...