I'm back, and I need help

skeptikal
Premium Member

Hold the wheel and drive
Indiana, US
Is there an award for the longest time away but coming back because you still love the Deebeez?

LEdgiZb.png

But anyways, I've been out of the game for probably 6 or 7 years at this point and have no idea what's good anymore. Back then it was Alpine, RE (pre-buyout), Stereo Integrity, Incriminator, and SSA. Is the BIG-3 still a thing anymore?

Buying a 2005 RAM Quad Cab so I assume something shallow mount? I was always partial to a single 12" or 15".

Would like to keep the whole thing around $2,000 including wiring. I'll probably do a fiberglass box under the back seat. Want to avoid a new alternator if possible, but I could upgrade a battery if necessary.

Should have stated, I don't need it loud like when I was 16-19 years old. I want it to make your ears happy. Where do I start?!?

Is there an award for the longest time away but coming back because you still love the Deebeez?
LEdgiZb.png

But anyways, I've been out of the game for probably 6 or 7 years at this point and have no idea what's good anymore. Back then it was Alpine, RE (pre-buyout), Stereo Integrity, Incriminator, and SSA.

alpine is meh, re is rarely spoken of anymore, stereo integrity is still awesome and sundown audio shares many designs with them, or are at least dang similar. The owners of the companies apparently know each other pretty well. Incriminator is still good. SSA is doing some awesome stuff. Taramps is pretty hot right now as Brazilian amplifiers have become a force to be reckoned with. SoundQubed is a newer player(they used to be called AudioQue). The list is quite long nowadays.

Is the BIG-3 still a thing anymore?

oh yes

Buying a 2005 RAM Quad Cab so I assume something shallow mount? I was always partial to a single 12" or 15".

Would like to keep the whole thing around $2,000 including wiring. I'll probably do a fiberglass box under the back seat. Want to avoid a new alternator if possible, but I could upgrade a battery if necessary.

get an AGM battery

Should have stated, I don't need it loud like when I was 16-19 years old. I want it to make your ears happy. Where do I start?!?
Headunit with active crossovers, 4 channel for the front stage, mono for the sub (or there are some pretty good 5 channels out there), Sundown Audio shallow mount 12, glass up a box, 0 gauge power wire, rca's and speaker wire, there is a myriad of seperates for your front stage, but dayton audio or the SSA evil line are pretty decent choices from what everyone says who has them, sound deadener, install, enjoy, profit

Plenty of room in a quad cab Ram, no need for shallow mounts. Easily got room for a couple of 15's if you wanted. What sub(s) will depend on how much power you have and how much room you want to take up. I see now you said you'd like to put it under the seat so we will need to know how much depth you have available. Id limit my total watts to no more than 1500 if you don't plan on buying a new alt.

Plenty of room in a quad cab Ram, no need for shallow mounts. Easily got room for a couple of 15's if you wanted. What sub(s) will depend on how much power you have and how much room you want to take up. I see now you said you'd like to put it under the seat so we will need to know how much depth you have available. Id limit my total watts to no more than 1500 if you don't plan on buying a new alt.
Room for a couple of 15's under the seats?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finish reading my post.
Yeah, skimmed after "a couple 15's" from reading his post.
Anyway. I use Rams as my work trucks, personal too. I have one with all JBL stuff (have a friend that is tied to Harmann). It is great, for the price. Run it with an NVX 900.5 which tests out at 153x4 @ 2ohms and 522x1 @ 2ohms. The subs are 10" in a Fox Acoustics ported box. Most are blown away by how good this sounds.

My personal truck is a fiberglass/birch box I did myself using the Fox box for inspiration. It has 2 Dayton audio 10's, JBL GTO components and JBL dash speakers (powered by the headunit). All NVX amps again. 800.4 and 1200.1 After being in this truck and switching I always want more from the previously described set up. I really appreciate the extra wattage when running windows down, on 35's, with a trailer pulling behind it.

Had another (now totaled) that had Soundstream Nano amps. They worked great for the year the truck was on the road. Had some ground noise with this one. Not sure if it was the amp or HU but I ran a common ground between all and it fixed it.

Yeah, skimmed after "a couple 15's" from reading his post.Anyway. I use Rams as my work trucks, personal too. I have one with all JBL stuff (have a friend that is tied to Harmann). It is great, for the price. Run it with an NVX 900.5 which tests out at 153x4 @ 2ohms and 522x1 @ 2ohms. The subs are 10" in a Fox Acoustics ported box. Most are blown away by how good this sounds.

My personal truck is a fiberglass/birch box I did myself using the Fox box for inspiration. It has 2 Dayton audio 10's, JBL GTO components and JBL dash speakers (powered by the headunit). All NVX amps again. 800.4 and 1200.1 After being in this truck and switching I always want more from the previously described set up. I really appreciate the extra wattage when running windows down, on 35's, with a trailer pulling behind it.
Any pics of these installs? The box will definitely be under the seat and I had been looking at one of those Sundown SD-3 12's (but not sure if I'll have enough space for them).

Any pics of these installs? The box will definitely be under the seat and I had been looking at one of those Sundown SD-3 12's (but not sure if I'll have enough space for them).
Phone took a crap and deleted everything and reformatted my sd card.
Will take pics of the work truck later. The Fox box is pretty great for pre-fab'ish. It is available with dual 10's or 12's.

Here is an outside pic if my daily.

295e4461dd09f7a537671cab2f8f7091.jpg

Will take pics of the work truck later. The Fox box is pretty great for pre-fab'ish. It is available with dual 10's or 12's.

Thanks! Definitely interested in the headunit and the sub install pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Headunit - I can't decide if I want to do do a touchscreen or single DIN unit. Looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS but am budgeting about $400 for this.

Components - Anyone have any experience with the Sundown components? Or those Evil SSA's? CDT & Focal were most popular. That still the case?

Sub - I've owned 2 iterations of the SI Mag and really enjoyed them. Maybe the 10" SA or SD-3's (if I end up sealed) from Sundown. For the box I think I'm going to end up getting one of these and go with 2 10's ported.

Here is the work truck box. You lose the cup holders. It could be a bit more "refined" but hard to beat for the price and proven. It comes with spacers for the seat I believe. It has been a while.

437b2d327ec38fffb4fe5b986f6a47ad.jpg
7a959fc0dfd22afa2b5e10e0afb0bc96.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the work truck box. You lose the cup holders. It could be a bit more "refined" but hard to beat for the price and proven. It comes with spacers for the seat I believe. It has been a while.
437b2d327ec38fffb4fe5b986f6a47ad.jpg
7a959fc0dfd22afa2b5e10e0afb0bc96.jpg

That's awesome yo! I think I'm definitely going to go with that Fox Box. I don't really feel like spending the time fiberglassing a custom box myself nowadays. It's going to be enough work for me to just deaden the cab lol.

Any rec's on deadener for the RAM?

That's awesome yo! I think I'm definitely going to go with that Fox Box. I don't really feel like spending the time fiberglassing a custom box myself nowadays. It's going to be enough work for me to just deaden the cab lol.
Any rec's on deadener for the RAM?
The doors are a pain in the ***. Everything else is pretty simple. I did mine years ago and used a butyl rubber foil backed product and some other stuff on top of it.
These guys will be more up to date who has the best value for it now. My cab vents are annoying but I don't wanna seal them.

Thanks! Definitely interested in the headunit and the sub install pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Headunit - I can't decide if I want to do do a touchscreen or single DIN unit. Looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS but am budgeting about $400 for this.

Components - Anyone have any experience with the Sundown components? Or those Evil SSA's? CDT & Focal were most popular. That still the case?

Sub - I've owned 2 iterations of the SI Mag and really enjoyed them. Maybe the 10" SA or SD-3's (if I end up sealed) from Sundown. For the box I think I'm going to end up getting one of these and go with 2 10's ported.
if you are going with an 80 prs, dont even bother getting components, you are just wasting money on a passive crossover. Spend that money buying raw drivers instead and go active networks with the pioneer. There's pioneer touch screens that can do 80% of what the 80 prs can do SQ tuning wise. I'd stay away from the evils, too many poor reviews. CDT is overpriced mediocrity at best. Some focals are still good, hertz is good, image dynamics, morel are good as well. I'd generally always stay away from "SPL" companie's component lineups. They have no idea what they are doing when it comes to component speakers aka sundown, skar, ampere etc... They do a much better job at Pro Audio types of speakers. If your goal is loud and clean, i'd recommend going that route and grabbing a pair of silk domes tweets to pair it up with. If you want extreme pure SQ, i'd head on over to https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ for legit SQ drivers. sb acoustics, seas prestige and scanspeak

if you are going with a pre-made box, make sure the sub you choose requires very little airspace to perform optimally.

i'm not a truck guy but man thats a good looking one.. even i would drive that lol..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.