I need help... New subs and wiring! SWR-1243D PDX1.1000

Participant count
  • Participant list

Soares_BR

CT
Hi guys I'm new here but I've been looking around and reading everything trying to learn some new stuff, i love this forum... but anyways i had two SWR-1243D 12" subs sealed about a year ago with a PDX1.1000 amp. One voice coil on one sub stopped working and being 17 and new to all this i just let it be at the end of the day both subs were destroyed... stupid i know.. anyways i started over now and have many questions. i built a ported box tuned to 35Hz and have two SWR-1243D once again. how should i wire them and tune the amp in order to get the best of what i have? Any input is greatly appreciated ! thank you in advance !

We will need to know a bit more information. I can only assume that you have 2 4ohm DVC's because that is common for these subs. To get the best quality, your going to have to go 4 ohm, which IIRC, the PDX amps push out the same power on 2 and 4 loads. This means you are going to parallel the coils together on each sub then series the two subs together. As far a tunning, I would make sure you xover is no higher than 100Hz, you can play with that, and you need to set your gain to match the pre-out voltage on your HU

yes they are 2 DVC 4ohm each. so parallel each coil and series them getting a 4 ohm load on the amp right, this should give me about 500rms on each sub? and the Hz should i set it to 80Hz? or does it really matter? thats the main thing i don't understand is how the frequency works could u please explain it a little better? Thank you so much for the help!

Sure, If you recall from trig, I know it's painful, a sine wave has an equal value above and below the x-axis. In electricity, AC voltage, which is what audio systems use, makes this same wave (ideally). So you will have say, 15v, then -15v, this causes the speakers to move one direction when a positive voltage and the other direction when a negative voltage due to electromagnetics. If you want to know more about this I would google "how a speaker works" Anyway.... Hz is the number of times per second that this voltage goes from its most positive value to its most negative value. Our ears can hear the movement of a speaker at 20Hz-20kHz, or 20 times per second to 20000 times per second. Subwoofers are large and meant for "low" frquencies. ~20Hz-100Hz. Some people run them higher for SPL comps. but for street bass, dont. The crossover on your amplifier is nothing more than a filter that only allows frequencies under whatever you set it on to go to the sub. I would keep it between 80-100. It is helpful to look on the subs specs and see what the frequency response is, it will help you know exaclty how high you can go. I hope this wasn't too much information all at once, but if you have questions, just PM me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.