First time with subs, Need some help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Robertsteele1395

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oregon
Not sure if this is the right area, first time here.
First time ever having subs. I’ve wanted subs since I was a kid.
First time ever having subs. I’ve wanted subs since I was a kid.
I got these professionally installed.
I got 2 12s - JBL 1220B Stage
With a 500w Amp - Rockford fosgate R2-500x1
With an aftermarket deck.
Now, I’ve only had these for 24 hours. They slap super hard but I feel like they’re not what I was expecting? I guess what I’m trying to say is they don’t sound as loud/deep as they would be for 2 12s in a Kia forte.
I called the shop and they said there’s a “break in period” and they didn’t tune my subs to the max they could go and that after 3 weeks if I don’t like them I can come in for a re-tune. i guess what I’m trying to ask is, is my setup just not as powerful as I thought it would be or does the break in thing actually matter and is it just because the tune isn’t at max. Because my dad spent $1,600 as a gift so I’m making sure I went with a good setup. The company was super helpful and didn’t pressure me into anything, so sorry if I sound like an idiot… it’s my first ever system lol.

They won't make the doors flap but they should sound clean and solid...
They sound absolutely clean and solid,. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not like I’m not happy. I just feel like when I crank the volume and bass knob to max it feels like it’s not as powerful as I thought? Maybe I’m just being way to into depth with it lol.

I'd give it time like the shop suggested...most of the subs I've owned sounded better after a bit...my biggest advice is to not expect too much...the subs and amp you got should sound solid and clean but they won't be able to do any of the hair tricks or wiper bouncing that's on YouTube...but I'd take clean over that any day 🙂

I'd give it time like the shop suggested...most of the subs I've owned sounded better after a bit...my biggest advice is to not expect too much...the subs and amp you got should sound solid and clean but they won't be able to do any of the hair tricks or wiper bouncing that's on YouTube...but I'd take clean over that any day 🙂
Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out lol.. I sound super unappreciated because it’s a gift. I was just making sure because I picked the setup with the installers and wanted to make sure for the price he paid was definitely worth it.
they sound absolutely clear and deep. I guess the YouTube videos got me.. you already knew 😂😂

Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out lol.. I sound super unappreciated because it’s a gift. I was just making sure because I picked the setup with the installers and wanted to make sure for the price he paid was definitely worth it.
they sound absolutely clear and deep. I guess the YouTube videos got me.. you already knew 😂😂
No worries buddy...with the hu and install...I don't the price was out of the ballpark...

Give it a couple weeks and see if the subs loosen up a bit. Dont expect to be shaking the block down or anything like that. That enclosure states 34 htz up to 200, 500 rms @2ohms. Im sure that RF amplifier is a bit Weak for the subs, and You may want a little more power later on would be my recommendation rather than trying to go full tilt with that amp. Id look at more power later on.But.. Enjoy it as much as you can.

Be a nice match for just a little head room @2ohms.Later on if you decide to run a single Heavy 10-12-, or ? @1ohms.. you have the power on tap for a future upgrade

Yeah, pretty low power all around, which isn’t bad, but you won’t be rattling pictures off the walls as you drive through your neighborhood. The subs are 250w each, which was pretty low power even 20 + years ago.

That doesn’t mean it’s bad, their decent subs and the amp is decent, it’s just low power gear. Probably sounds reasonably good on most music, and still decent thump out of it. Got to be way better than the stock stereo system / bass.

I’d say 1000 to1500 watts rms and a pair of 12’s that can take it is where you’d probably get closer to what you want, and of course a decent box to fit the intended use better, rather than a prefab.

They sound absolutely clean and solid,. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not like I’m not happy. I just feel like when I crank the volume and bass knob to max it feels like it’s not as powerful as I thought? Maybe I’m just being way to into depth with it lol.
have you tried adjusting the eq, on your headunit, to customize for the type of music you listen to?

When i would have 1st times in for bump, I would always set it to be safe in this case.... everything maxed out and not fry the subs. Enclosure can make a big difference in the sound/output on a sub too. Shop would rather you not smoke your new setup..... and the break in is normal. When I install a big sub, I free-air it for half a day to get it broke in ( not something you should do a full tilt! ) with respect to the build of the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...