How big of an alternator

reaudiofan
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
dayton,OH
What is the general rule for how much power your running compared to the size of your alternator.......without your amp pulling from our battery/batteries

100 amp alt. for 1000 watts?

300 amp alt for 3000 watts?

I was just curious about this and wondered if there is some sort of math to do to come up with this answer

I have an 100a alt and was dimming some with a 900rms amp, and stock duralast battery. Upgraded till my 1500.1 and it got to much. So I say maybe every 110-120 amps per 1000rms. But I dunno, and do you mean RMS or Peak watts playa, lol?

I have an 100a alt and was dimming some with a 900rms amp, and stock duralast battery. Upgraded till my 1500.1 and it got to much. So I say maybe every 110-120 amps per 1000rms. But I dunno, and do you mean RMS or Peak watts playa, lol?

the typo in your sig makes you look idiotic. please fix. i think you are referring to people who BOUGHT an Eminem cd?

the typo in your sig makes you look idiotic. please fix. i think you are referring to people who BOUGHT an Eminem cd?
Its not a typo and its not referring to anyone who BROUGHT and eminem cd. Its for people who think they know Hip Hop by buying a BIG, Rakim, Dre, etc cd and then claim they know what Hip Hop is. Then they dress like the gangsters in reflect what they see on tv, I call 'em fake thugs. What are you offended buy my sig? Then you must one of the losers Im talking about it...

WTF? How are you going to come in here and right off the bat tell me to stfu? At least I answered his question jackass.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif I run a 300amp alt daily For the past 3 years. Have you?
this is the internetz:eek://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

my reply would of helped him more than yur genious..." ohh throw a 300 amp on a call it a day"

yur second post was much better:p:

Many smaller alts now will put out as much if not more than 300 amp. My mechman 250 alt will keep up much better, and put out better #'s at idle, and prolly at 2k than a 300 amp. And thats where it counts for a daily driver. Once you go to a 300 amp you are just workin with too many problems. But glad to here you are actually have some luck with yurs.

well i have 2 DDz1's and the alternator and batteries i have now are ineffecient and i want to run both of my amps and wanted to know how big to go on my alternator....and i want my setup to be a daily driver....

I fail to see what problems your talking about? Yet have I heard of any problems anyone has with there 300amp alts on this forum.
and yes my :confused:"genious":confused: is better then your answer.
My 300amp doesn't like to put out at idle, now you have heard from someone on this forum with a 300amp and a problem.

yeah i do alot of driving on the streets i live in a smaller town....yeah thats a good point i took that into consideration too

Im running 12,000watts on dual 275amp alts.. 2 Atomic 5000.1 at .5ohm on 16v. I have no problems what so ever with amp heating or voltage issues. Also if voltage becomes an issue contact Missing Link Audio about a module for your car. Also don't buy them cheap Motor City Reman or Iraagi alike alts cuz they are worthless. Look into a Mechamn alt or DC power alt. Good thing about the guys at DC they will build you anything you want for your application and will tell you what would work best. I was running a single 275 alt on 10,000 for a while with no problems but voltage drops to 13.1v. Also dont waste your time with a "300" amp alt cuz its a fake and 9 times out of 10 there are problems with them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.