Help me build something unique.

why3zx

Just got a new ride and want to build something different/unique.

Asking for you guys opinions as I have been out of the high end car audio game for 15 years. Every rig I own has a sub, but its all cheap consumer stuff.

Finally found and bought a car I've been looking for for over a year, 08 STS-V. Want something as cool and generally unheard of as the car, and match the performance!!

Here are my requirements/budget.

Trunk build.

1K $, (not including box, prefer to spend the least amount possible but want this to be fairly bad ***)

Have up to 8.3 cubes (gross) to work with (43w x 21d x16h).

Willing to run 1/O wire and do the big three.

150A Alternator, do not want to do an alternator on this car at this time, when it goes out, maybe.

Need to run from the stock Bose nav/head unit, I think there is a pre level signal to the current factory sub amp, will need some kind of signal processing/converter. Head unit isn't an option and I know that hurts me.

Weight is a factor, this is a very fast car, so a second battery would be a last resort.

So?? 4 bad boy eights? a single monster 15? 3 killer tens? Open to two 12"s but that seems to be the norm.

I listen to rock and fast punk mostly, but I want this system to be the one that I can put the rap and EDM on and shake windows. Also would prefer some lesser known brands, been reading on here for a couple weeks and i haven't heard of most of what you guys are using.

So, what says the collective mind? Amp, Subs, and Signal??

Damp the car, upgrade electrical and find an Installer with vision...

If you're going to do the work then... Research...

Mine is unique, everyone has this or that... 3 12" though...

It's not 1996 anymore when dual 6 ohm coils were a "Thing"...

1 ohm stable amps are a dime a dozen anymore...

Remember when you build... Build!.. Don't be afraid to spend... LOL!..

Damp the car, Electrical is a must... even more important than most will tell ya'!

Even for SQ...

Building for SPL then it is a given...

How unique is really up to you... or your installer...

If someone else is doin' the work.. ask for pics!

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I will be doing the install, guess that's good information to give.

It will be dampened and have the wiring done for sure.

I'm sure you guys get a thousand "which sub sould I buy" threads. Ive been reading and there so many mind boggling advances in the tech since I was more of an enthusiast.

Guess my questions is, Given the space and limitations above, what would you want for hardware?

If I owned a car like that... well... subs are the easy part, you've got some quiet doors already and a HU hangup... stock IS stock after all... even with a good converter like the unit we put into my son's car (he has steering wheel controls)... focus on good signal and clean amps... someone here is an expert on this I'm sure and frontstage is paramount... look to get some real bass/midbass from the front first... then add your beats... starting at a certain level in a newer car has it's advantages... You'll be able to identify rattles before it's too late, a newer car is quieter... Then depending on your taste install your choice of subs... they'll be a welcome addition to your ride not some loud, rude and suddenly rattling thing!

Just got a new ride and want to build something different/unique.
Asking for you guys opinions as I have been out of the high end car audio game for 15 years. Every rig I own has a sub, but its all cheap consumer stuff.

Finally found and bought a car I've been looking for for over a year, 08 STS-V. Want something as cool and generally unheard of as the car, and match the performance!!

Here are my requirements/budget.

Trunk build.

1K $, (not including box, prefer to spend the least amount possible but want this to be fairly bad ***)

Have up to 8.3 cubes (gross) to work with (43w x 21d x16h).

Willing to run 1/O wire and do the big three.

150A Alternator, do not want to do an alternator on this car at this time, when it goes out, maybe.

Need to run from the stock Bose nav/head unit, I think there is a pre level signal to the current factory sub amp, will need some kind of signal processing/converter. Head unit isn't an option and I know that hurts me.

Weight is a factor, this is a very fast car, so a second battery would be a last resort.

So?? 4 bad boy eights? a single monster 15? 3 killer tens? Open to two 12"s but that seems to be the norm.

I listen to rock and fast punk mostly, but I want this system to be the one that I can put the rap and EDM on and shake windows. Also would prefer some lesser known brands, been reading on here for a couple weeks and i haven't heard of most of what you guys are using.

So, what says the collective mind? Amp, Subs, and Signal??

I just got their srx model. If I had that much space, I would have got the stereo integrity hst mkll 18, 7 cuft ported. Since I am space constricted I opted for the 12 inch model. Nice car dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 sundown 6.5" woofers
While that would be super cool I think it wouldn't fit into the budget very well.

After some more reading the 4 x 8" idea is really looking fun. So? what everyones favorite flavor of driver for

Sundown SA-8?

Skar - VVX or MA-8?

American Bass - VFL? (not crazy about the yellow cones)

Massive - Summo? (love the price)

something else?

Figure push with about 2K Watts, are the newer PPI amps actually decent? Also looking at the Massive N3.

Okay, so It just dawned on me that if I want to run at 1Ohm with 4 drivers that I am going to need a Dual 2 voice coil. That eliminates some of the options above.

Hear me out (and thanks for the help so far!) for the price, what about 4 SoundQubed HDS208 drivers, ran by an Orion XTR1500.1D, in a T-Line box as suggested by CSCStang. This comes in right at budget and gives me some room to hopefully have Stang do the box magic.

Or is it worth it to save a bit more money and wait for the SA-8?

well, talked to Stang and hes building me a T-Line box for three 8s, Had to go with three due to space limitations and wanting a T-line.

HDS208s but nobody has any. So its either wait or order the SA-8 V1.5.

Its been like Christmas at the house lately!

Massive Hippo 8"s

And Stang just sent me these pick this morning!

Custom T-line enclosure. Now I just need to pick out an amp...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.