Hate to be that guy but need some advice on a 10" setup

Alright, so with all these responses I should give some more info. I listen to just about anything from country, to rap, rock, metal, dubstep, etc. Now obviously each has it's own style of setup and one isn't going to be the best for all. I'm trackin on that. Now with that being said, I'm not going for straight SPL, I still want the music to sound good, just have a little more kick to it. Sometimes and on some songs, I would like to have the ability for there to be stupid amounts of bass. I'm presuming that with the EQ in my Pioneer HU I can tweak the bass to better tailor it to the type of music decently. Also, I like to listen to my music pretty loud, especially when driving on the highway, so something that won't clip when I turn it up. If any of this is incorrect, please let me know. (I'm not claiming to know anything about this stuff, I'm a SME in other things)

Some songs to show the variety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSdZzywLOtA (Dubsex by 3LAU)

(Headlines by Drake)
With all that being said I would like to stick with the 10" purely based on footprint as I still need to use my trunk space for work and other hobbies. The options that aren't 12's that have been suggested so far are:

• Sundown E8
  • PowerBass 3XL 10"
  • SA-10

Do any of the above fit what I'm looking for? Again any help would be most appreciated.

Dont know what was wrong with my advise. a b2 qoutta amp on an ia death row. Would be a nice sql setup if you ask me. u cant beat the b2 amp for performance/price and the deathrow is a badazz sub.
Which is why I said "many" instead of "all" those that had been suggested.... I think IA would work fine for the OP.

And you're my favorite Ont Canuck, too, BTW //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I've been doing some research and the IA Death Penalty is a great sub no doubt, but is more meant for an SPL application, rather than SQ.
Yes, the Death Penalty is more of an SPL sub, the Death Row is designed to be an SQL subwoofer, but as far as IA goes with what you are asking for I would recommend the Flatlyne instead of the DR or DP, which is there underhung SQ design, which would probably be a better fit for what you are looking for , however they are not offered in a 10" platform only 12"-18"

Which is why I said "many" instead of "all" those that had been suggested.... I think IA would work fine for the OP.
And you're my favorite Ont Canuck, too, BTW //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Haha cool bro, im not from ont. tho lol im from toba. Anybody east of manitoba is pretty stoopid.

Yes, the Death Penalty is more of an SPL sub, the Death Row is designed to be an SQL subwoofer, but as far as IA goes with what you are asking for I would recommend the Flatlyne instead of the DR or DP, which is there underhung SQ design, which would probably be a better fit for what you are looking for , however they are not offered in a 10" platform only 12"-18"
I dont really think he is looking for that much sq seeing he isnt going to upgrade his front stage. And he says he wants a sub that sounds good but gets loud also. Thats why i recommended him a sql driver like the death row.

I dont really think he is looking for that much sq seeing he isnt going to upgrade his front stage. And he says he wants a sub that sounds good but gets loud also. Thats why i recommended him a sql driver like the death row.
Is the flatlyne not capable of getting loud?

I installed the sub about a week ago, so it is still very new. The reason I want to sell is I want something with a little more volume. Probably going to go with DD 2512. The SQ on the sub is awesome, and it does have great output, just not enough for me as I like a lot of bass. Im sure most SQ guys out there would be very happy with this sub.
This makes it sound like it isn't....

Death Row 12" vs Flat Lyne 12. If the Flat Lyne still has some oomph to it, that's probably what I'd go with since it's a SQ sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flatlyne is going to be more on the SQ side of things the DR will lean more toward SPL, but depending on the enclosure design you could make the DR have great SQ, and /or the Flatlyne get loud, both are well built and designed drivers, but as always it will come down to enclosure and install, the reason I sugg. the FL was how well they will work in the smaller recommened low tuned enclosure, and how well they work in sealed enclosures as well, I prefered the DR in the larger enclosures with a little bit higher tuning.

The flatlyne is going to be more on the SQ side of things the DR will lean more toward SPL, but depending on the enclosure design you could make the DR have great SQ, and /or the Flatlyne get loud, both are well built and designed drivers, but as always it will come down to enclosure and install, the reason I sugg. the FL was how well they will work in the smaller recommened low tuned enclosure, and how well they work in sealed enclosures as well, I prefered the DR in the larger enclosures with a little bit higher tuning.
So from this it sounds like the FL would be the best choice purely based upon working in a smaller enclosure. When you say tuned, this means it is a ported correct? If so, will the ported be boomier than a sealed? What's the typical space difference?

Have you figured out exactly what space you wanna give up?
I would like to use as small amount of space as possible. I can't really give you a hard/fast number because I'm not really sure and I've never done this before. What's the smalled possible amount of space that can still accomplish this?

So from this it sounds like the FL would be the best choice purely based upon working in a smaller enclosure. When you say tuned, this means it is a ported correct? If so, will the ported be boomier than a sealed? What's the typical space difference?

I would like to use as small amount of space as possible. I can't really give you a hard/fast number because I'm not really sure and I've never done this before. What's the smalled possible amount of space that can still accomplish this?
A sub instill is completely based on the box it is put it... You should go out and take some measurements of what space your willing to give up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hokeyplyr48

10+ year member
hokeyplyr48
United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from