Good or bad purchase?

Kanjay West
10+ year member

I've been looking around for subs for the past few weeks and finally last night I purchased a set of rockford fosgate p3d4 12 inch subs dvc 4 ohm wired to 2 ohms @ 600 watt rms, two mounted in 3/4 inch mdf sealed box powered by rockford prime class d amp 1200 watt rms @ 1 ohm. I paid $300 for it all.

Was this an okay price for it? I'm putting it into my Acura TL (09). Do you guys think that would be too much and/or should I just use 1?

From what I've researched, P3s are okay subs, what are your opinions, as they relate to buying 1 Alpine Type R? It was a close match between those two subs. Someone was selling one, along with a 500 watt amp for $200 (but it was one in a ported box). I'm hoping I made the right decision.

All opinions welcome but keep it respectful please. I know some of you will think both options are garbage, but with my budget, I didn't want entry level subs like the P2 or Type S, Kicker either.

That's not a bad deal for everything you got. The amp alone could be sold for around $150-$200 range and both subs around the same price. I'll be honest with you, I had a pair of Type S 12's and they did work for what they were off of a MRP-450. All in all, not a bad deal for $300 though. You should be able to use it for a while and sell it for what you bought it for and break even if you ever wanted to upgrade.

and just think, if you start thinking about upgrades, all you have to do is have a custom ported enclosure built and the system will sound twice as loud....maybe more depending on port style and placement of subs/port.....but yea, for $300, you did good....wait a minute....you have 2 D4's wired to 2 ohms on that amp?

For what you got it is pretty good over all. Like Quackhead said, if you want to upgrade the first thing would be getting a custom ported enclosure and those subs will really come to life....however, this is a very dangerous(to your $$) hobby and it is very very addictive.

the subs actually arent bad at all. i used to use some daily, and i overpowered them by A LOT and they took it like champs for a very long time. the prime amps however, ive not been a fan of so far. mostly with the A/B, ive had a lot of issues with overheating, protecting, and just simply shutting off for unknown reasons. it very well could and should be different with the D amp you got.

For what you got it is pretty good over all. Like Quackhead said, if you want to upgrade the first thing would be getting a custom ported enclosure and those subs will really come to life....however, this is a very dangerous(to your $$) hobby and it is very very addictive.
I am actually thinking of doing just that prior to the install. My only concern is that a ported box will be much bigger. And he'll, the sealed box alone is heavy and takes up PLENTY of room in the trunk!

I am actually thinking of doing just that prior to the install. My only concern is that a ported box will be much bigger. And he'll, the sealed box alone is heavy and takes up PLENTY of room in the trunk!
You can do an enclosure in Birch to drop weight and use precision ports to keep the size down.

Why ask if it was a bad idea and you already did it? Kinda like robbing a bank then asking if it was a bad idea when your already in jail...
You feel better about yourself now? I sure hope you know that since you pointed that out, that I feel really horrible now. Go ahead and give yourself a round of applause for being the only dyckhead that, instead of lending a useful opinion, thought you'd take the time out to try and make me look stupid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/applause.gif.bb805d8088f72dbc2fe808c29e85fb4c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.