Getting Started Bug Build 2.0

1000$ though 8 of those. Can’t justify that cost at this moment.

My buddy tried to buy the VFL8's like I have in my truck that I paid $110 a piece for. Only one place had them and they wanted $170 a piece for them. The HD8's that I have in my Bug are 24 pound beasts. Luckily, I found them for $157 each. Everybody shitts their pants when they hear the 4 VFL8's on 3,500 watts in the truck though. I haven't looked at the Daytons.

My buddy tried to buy the VFL8's like I have in my truck that I paid $110 a piece for. Only one place had them and they wanted $170 a piece for them. The HD8's that I have in my Bug are 24 pound beasts. Luckily, I found them for $157 each. Everybody shitts their pants when they hear the 4 VFL8's on 3,500 watts in the truck though. I haven't looked at the Daytons.
The Dayton’s are a different world. They likely won’t hit the same DBs that your AB subs would, but they would kick your chest with their sound. It’s just a different sound when doing high power to SQ subs. That’s why I can’t afford the 1000$ to buy them just to feel their sound. High powered expensive SQ systems are more for just the experience. There is no bragging rights.

The Dayton’s are a different world. They likely won’t hit the same DBs that your AB subs would, but they would kick your chest with their sound. It’s just a different sound when doing high power to SQ subs. That’s why I can’t afford the 1000$ to buy them just to feel their sound. High powered expensive SQ systems are more for just the experience. There is no bragging rights.

I went with the VFL's and HD's because I didn't want to pay for the Sundown SA's or X's. I went with 8's strictly because of space and depth limitations. Those Daytons are $1,000? Is that for 1, 4, or 8 of them.

I went with the VFL's and HD's because I didn't want to pay for the Sundown SA's or X's. I went with 8's strictly because of space and depth limitations. Those Daytons are $1,000? Is that for 1, 4, or 8 of them.
They’re 135$ for a 300 watt sub, so they’re a tad expensive when comparing dollar to watts. When you hear their accuracy though, you know where the money went. They are super accurate even at high excursion. I could probably burn the coils and never hear any distortion if the amps weren’t set right. I’m getting a fairly flat signal way down below 30hz in a sealed box. I’d love to experience a 25 hz test tone with 8 of these on 2500 watts.

They’re 135$ for a 300 watt sub, so they’re a tad expensive when comparing dollar to watts. When you hear their accuracy though, you know where the money went. They are super accurate even at high excursion. I could probably burn the coils and never hear any distortion if the amps weren’t set right. I’m getting a fairly flat signal way down below 30hz in a sealed box. I’d love to experience a 25 hz test tone with 8 of these on 2500 watts.

You know what's funny is the guy with the Sundown ZV6 12" did his 142.4 @ 34 hz. The two HD8's did 142.9 @ 32 hz. People under estimate what 8's can do.

The guy who metered after me wasn't happy. He had a single 12" Sundown ZV6 on a 5K Cerwin Vega amp in a Ford Explorer and got a 142.4. He was trying hard though, I'll give him that. He had that Sundown hot and stinky. I'm sure my cabin size gave me an advantage.
Explorers are known to like to get loud. That said you both probably have room to find gains by experimenting with seat positions, box location/aiming, gorilla tape, etc. It's relatively easy to find gains in the low to mid 140s. 142 and a bit is fine for most people to enjoy music but on 5K that is far from competitive. I was doing 148.6-148.8 in my old Jeep with single 12 on around that much power and only MIGHT have picked up first place in our local shows if the serious guys who competed with that cone area didn't show up. At some point if you plan to play music whatsoever you're simply not going to hang with the guys that are just trying to mark the best score.

Explorers are known to like to get loud. That said you both probably have room to find gains by experimenting with seat positions, box location/aiming, gorilla tape, etc. It's relatively easy to find gains in the low to mid 140s. 142 and a bit is fine for most people to enjoy music but on 5K that is far from competitive. I was doing 148.6-148.8 in my old Jeep with single 12 on around that much power and only MIGHT have picked up first place in our local shows if the serious guys who competed with that cone area didn't show up. At some point if you plan to play music whatsoever you're simply not going to hang with the guys that are just trying to mark the best score.

I can't move the box in the Bug and my seats don't recline. I'm guessing that 142.9 is about max for two 8's. Especially with a 55 amp alternator.
20210703_213607.jpg

I can't move the box in the Bug and my seats don't recline. I'm guessing that 142.9 is about max for two 8's. Especially with a 55 amp alternator.View attachment 30281
Port on the driver's side should help, gorilla tape around where the subs mount usually helps, if the box is carpeted that will hurt. Anything you can move should be moved and tested, and make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff in the car like a cooler, your gym bag or tools or whatever. I'd also expect subs and port to the rear would work better in that vehicle but it may or may not be audible and you'd need to make sure you don't crowd out the port.

Port on the driver's side should help, gorilla tape around where the subs mount usually helps, if the box is carpeted that will hurt. Anything you can move should be moved and tested, and make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff in the car like a cooler, your gym bag or tools or whatever. I'd also expect subs and port to the rear would work better in that vehicle but it may or may not be audible and you'd need to make sure you don't crowd out the port.

The box had to be carpeted and fit behind the back seat. I'm not competing with my Bug or truck. The scores are just for me. And 142.9 with two 8's @ 33 hz. Is plenty loud and low in a Bug.

People on here don't like American Bass that much either. That thread "Help Me Choose 8's" had about 10 different 8's to choose from and not one of the choices was a VFL or American Bass. Oh well, it happens.
American Bass has a pretty good reputation. The XFL/TNT/DX are often recommened budget SPL subs and the RX/XR which lean more towars SQ are highly reviewed. There HD/VFL for higher-end competitors and korean VFL amps are popular also.

Really the only complaint with them has been the last 5 years or so is they have revised there good product lines but the new ones they've introduced have been very medicore. They've been pushing more lowend amps as we'll when the VFL korean amp line is what built their reputation.

In regards to "help me choose 8s" the VFL 8s are extremely popular in truck builds. I have 2 different box builders in my area that exclusively use those for truck builds and there's been many users thoughout the years on this forum that have used them as well.

In regards to "help me choose 8s" the VFL 8s are extremely popular in truck builds. I have 2 different box builders in my area that exclusively use those for truck builds and there's been many users thoughout the years on this forum that have used them as well.
[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the new VFL8's or the older yellow ones?

Are you talking about the new VFL8's or the older yellow ones?
I'm referring to both of them. The Yellow ones where the ones AB was pushing until about 2 years ago when they made the transition to the new ones (was the same time they transitioned the VFL amplifiers lineup as well).

There both very similar, the new ones are slightly upgraded (same voice coil, little bigger magnet, and a little less stiff suspension out of the box).

I'm referring to both of them. The Yellow ones where the ones AB was pushing until about 2 years ago when they made the transition to the new ones (was the same time they transitioned the VFL amplifiers lineup as well).

There both very similar, the new ones are slightly upgraded (same voice coil, little bigger magnet, and a little less stiff suspension out of the box).

I originally had two yellow ones in my truck on a 900 watt DD amp. The new VFL's can take more power. I have 3,500 watts on four of them in my truck. The HD8's are even bigger and can take a ton of power and they really move. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Pardon me, but expensive SQ systems are much more than just for the experience. If you hunt long enough and be patient, you can get a crazy ass deal on some sick "SQ" stuff that will get loud AF and sound amazing doing it.

Took a long time for me to get my holy grail sub, but now that I have it, it was totally worth the wait/price.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...